Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 107047 times)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #300 on: November 02, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
This is absolutely stunning, and I can't wait to see it in person Nov 9-12!

One question, sorry if it has already been answered....but will Christmas in Midtown be choreographed to music or is it a stagnant display? Even if it is stagnant, it will still be absolutely breathtaking, but i couldn't remember if we discussed it being choreographed or not. Thanks!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #301 on: November 02, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »
Some more preview photos -- check out the entrances to the area.  WOW

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/11/christmas-in-midtown-testing-sdc.html

Just in case anyone might have missed these brand new photos on the previous page
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #302 on: November 02, 2017, 08:53:20 PM »
Definitely looking very impressive.  Can't wait to see it and film it this Saturday.  Excited about what they've got.  I have a feeling it will be a bit of a late night.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2017, 11:01:46 AM »
the pictures don't do it justice.  It was absolutely incredible.  Possibly the best lights display I've seen.

If anyone would like to get a look at the finished product, there's a brief video on the SDC Fans Facebook page I shot on Saturday.  I've also got a ton of photos on my photo site.  You can see them at:
https://sirwillow.smugmug.com/Amusement-Parks-Roller/Mid-USA-TX-MO-OK-etc/Silver-Dollar-City-Christmas-in-Mid-Town
(start about page 7)

I'll have a full video preview posted to my youtube channel Tuesday or Wednesday.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »
Got the video posted!  it's "unlisted" until tomorrow afternoon, but since there has been interest here, I figured I'd post a link here for everyone.  Several minutes of video footage and a few photos are at the end.  It's not the best video I've done by any means, but hope you enjoy it and a look at the rest of SDC around Christmas as well.

https://youtu.be/8VyyGhGR0PI

HikerDan

« Reply #305 on: November 09, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
Thanks so much for the video sirwillow! My wife and I likely won't be able to visit during Old Time Christmas this year so we really enjoyed what you shared with us here. Thanks again for taking the time and making the effort with this and sharing it with everyone.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
The lights are as good as promised. So many people standing around taking photos and selfies, which I guess is the modern sign that they've done a good job. Grandfather's mansion and the bakery are very popular again. Only thing that stood out as odd was some of the music, which I think has been mentioned before. Not sure why they are going with modern Christmas music in the middle of the 1880's old time Christmas, but whatever. It's kind of weird when you go between areas and the classic stuff clashes with the more modern Michael Buble, but maybe that's just because I'm so used to the old stuff.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
I think it would be better to do without the music.  There's enough going on with people talking, the big tree on Main Street going off...we heard both at the same time Sunday.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »
Some additional installation photos of Christmas in Midtown
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/10/christmas-in-midtown-installation-sdc_20.html

There's no excuse for people who "can't" find Midtown during Christmas.  We may have to wear shades to walk through there.

I just about think those entrance trusses could stay and be decorated for other times of the year, as well.  They may be the secret to getting people into that area.

Shhh!  That's the nice, old fashioned, quiet area of the park!  Keep it a secret!

Unless you want a thrill ride plopped down in there you better hope the foot traffic increases the rest of the year.  JS

Speculate?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #309 on: November 24, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
Because you can never have enough photos of Christmas in Midtown
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/11/christmas-in-midtown-sdc.html
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 24, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
Great pictures... the lights are amazing.. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #311 on: November 26, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
Did anyone ever get a shot of the expanded lot 3? I finally noticed the construction is pretty much complete on my last visit. I'm sure it was finished early in the summer and flew under the radar. It is now mostly asphalt with painted spaces and stretches farther to the south. Still a drop in the bucket compared to the # of spaces they need and will need soon.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
^ We don't have a picture but we did park in the newly paved Lot 3 during our July visit.  a lot nicer without all the dust
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
That's my new favorite lot. 
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 27, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
I got a chance to visit Christmas in Midtown this weekend. The lights are amazing. You could hear people audibly gasp as they walked in.

I have to agree with those who mentioned the music. While I love the lights, the modern, pop Christmas music 1) doesn't fit in with SDC, and 2) is way too loud. The music is so loud that it distracts from the lights. Plus, if you stand in the right places, you hear the music from the square and the music in Midtown at the same time...sensory overload!! That being said, it's a great addition and adds new life to the Midtown area.

Speaking of Midtown, Sullivan's Mill has basically been converted to a Cinnamon Bread store. A lot of the inventory is gone.