Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 107016 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
The train engine looks great.  They have been promising to put one back on display for a long time. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
Photos of the installation of the Christmas in Midtown
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/09/christmas-in-midtown-installation-sdc.html
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »
They have added a lot of framework since I was there a couple of weeks ago..

Swoosh you were busy this weekend,   great pics.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
I'm excited to see the pay off. Sure does gum up midtown with all this hardware all over the place, but I don't know of any other way to do it. I've been thinking a lot about the way they put up Christmas lights and how I wish there were a simpler way, but I haven't come up with it yet. I'm sure they spend a LOT of time thinking and talking about it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 27, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
FTR when it was at DHS, the hardware during the day was just as ugly.  The payoff at night was definitely worth it though
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »
I'm excited to see the pay off. Sure does gum up midtown with all this hardware all over the place, but I don't know of any other way to do it. I've been thinking a lot about the way they put up Christmas lights and how I wish there were a simpler way, but I haven't come up with it yet. I'm sure they spend a LOT of time thinking and talking about it.

No doubt the "payoff" will be awesome..   I hope the response by the public is what the PTB expect it to be.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 28, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »

Maybe next year, they could review the man hours it took them to set up midtown this year and instead of working at night or on days when the park is closed, they could just wall off that section for a couple of weeks and work around the clock to get that area done. That way people can enjoy that section as normal as possible up until the last minute. I haven't seen it in person to see how it looks, but fall is one of my favorite times at the City and I always thought the park was at it's best then.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »

[/quote]

Maybe next year, they could review the man hours it took them to set up midtown this year and instead of working at night or on days when the park is closed, they could just wall off that section for a couple of weeks and work around the clock to get that area done. That way people can enjoy that section as normal as possible up until the last minute. I haven't seen it in person to see how it looks, but fall is one of my favorite times at the City and I always thought the park was at it's best then.

Jay
[/quote]

I dont think it looks that bad, considering the end result. 
Boarding off the area and closing it off, would look much worse.. IMHO.. :)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
That would block off the wood carvers shop, Sullivans Mill, the candle shop...the hubs would protest blocked access to the wood carvers.  It is IMO one of the prettiest areas of the park.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2017, 03:13:29 PM »

Jay
I dont think it looks that bad, considering the end result. 
Boarding off the area and closing it off, would look much worse.. IMHO.. :)

Cool, I was under the impression that it really made that part of the park look bad.

Jay
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:55:10 AM by cowboy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2017, 08:17:54 PM »
Guys I love you - but for crying out loud stop screwing up the quote feature. 

You have to have a "[ quote]" and a "[/ quote]" tag otherwise you screw it up.  I get the want to only quote a certain part of the text but if you can't figure out the script thing you probably need to just leave the whole thing. 

Here's a good idea - hit preview before you post, if you don't have the quoted part in a quote box, start over and continue to do so until you have that quote box.  A good rule of thumb is DON'T DELETE THE LINE THAT SAYS WHO SAID IT ORIGINALLY. 

So keep this line
[ quote author=cowboy link=topic=3538.msg72847#msg72847 date=1506629609]

[ /quote]
and you need one of these too. 

Thanks. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
Some additional installation photos of Christmas in Midtown
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/10/christmas-in-midtown-installation-sdc_20.html

SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/10/christmas-in-midtown-installation-sdc_20.html

There's no excuse for people who "can't" find Midtown during Christmas.  We may have to wear shades to walk through there.

I just about think those entrance trusses could stay and be decorated for other times of the year, as well.  They may be the secret to getting people into that area.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 27, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »

There's no excuse for people who "can't" find Midtown during Christmas.  We may have to wear shades to walk through there.

I just about think those entrance trusses could stay and be decorated for other times of the year, as well.  They may be the secret to getting people into that area.

Shhh!  That's the nice, old fashioned, quiet area of the park!  Keep it a secret!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »

Shhh!  That's the nice, old fashioned, quiet area of the park!  Keep it a secret!

Not any more - at least not in November and December.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating