Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 107799 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »
Well, the Christmas in Midtown lights are only adding 1.5mil, and I believe the Osborne lights were over 5mil. So maybe SDC got what was left over from the scrapped stuff?

I guess for me, I wasn't sure if it was the Osborne lights because I figured SDC would advertise them since it could bring a lot of Disney fans in who fell in love with the lights at WDW.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
We have an entire year before they debut.  They have plenty of time to reveal that fact. 
Looking at the concept artwork they have all of the hardware there - the globe, Angels, Angel go round, Santa and Sleigh, tree

If there was any doubt how big of a deal this will be - they trademarked "Christmas in Midtown"
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »
The Osborne lights sound cool to me, not knowing anything about them other than that they are Disney quality.

The concept art seems to show some new buildings in Midtown though? I'm still wondering if they are planning on reconstructing the area, and this seems to be a hint... Looks good though, I like the look of the buildings they've built recently so it could really help bring back the city feel.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »
The Osborne lights sound cool to me, not knowing anything about them other than that they are Disney quality.

The concept art seems to show some new buildings in Midtown though? I'm still wondering if they are planning on reconstructing the area, and this seems to be a hint... Looks good though, I like the look of the buildings they've built recently so it could really help bring back the city feel.

The concept art looks like it takes a couple of photos from the Osborne lights at Disney MGM Studios, adds in a couple of other light displays from something else, and adds in a couple of trees as well.  It's a few different photos and images shopped together.

Here's a couple angles from it at Disney to show you what it looked like there (mine from when I worked there- not great though as I was using a lame camera and no tripod to take them)

This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
I'm from Little Rock, I know the backstory.

Jennings Osborne was a philanthropist who owned a large estate on a main thoroughfare in Little Rock. During the 80's and 90's he had large Christmas displays in which to honor his daughter Breezy. The displays grew every year, and brought in thousands of people to drive by. The angels were some of his most recognizable displays and most loved. The neighbors eventually complained, and an order was brought against the family to remove the lights, due to the large volume of cars. The next year he simply put up one large angel, with tear-drops falling from her face. It made quite a statement, and I still vividly remember the 'Crying Angel.'

The lights were then distributed to the Arkansas State Capitol and Hot Springs National Park. The displays were in these 2 locations for many years before the Walt Disney company acquired them and put them at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Jennings Osborne passed away several years ago, and unfortunately the estate went up for auction.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
Wow, that was interesting!  Thanks for sharing that story.

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »
I noticed today that the EH bathrooms have been stripped down of the façade on the walls.

Edit: It looks like they are framing up concrete platforms all around for the supports
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:13:49 PM by dawsonrt »
-Spencer

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2016, 08:07:05 PM »
Yeah we speculate that the entire building will be gone before next weekend.  The inside has been completely gutted already.
SWOOSH

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »
The new Christmas lights everywhere sure are cool at night. It wasn't too overwhelming, but there were a lot. I didn't want to do any of the festivities in the park until after Thanksgiving, but the people I was with wanted to see the parade and tree when they did that.
-Spencer

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2016, 09:17:45 AM »
The new Christmas lights everywhere sure are cool at night. It wasn't too overwhelming, but there were a lot. I didn't want to do any of the festivities in the park until after Thanksgiving, but the people I was with wanted to see the parade and tree when they did that.

"Christmas in Midtown" will not premiere until 2017.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
I'm sure he's referring to the fact that they have switched to led lights on most trees and many buildings. The "blurring" effect to your eyes make the led's look "fuller", even in bare spots~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2016, 10:44:02 PM »
I'm sure he's referring to the fact that they have switched to led lights on most trees and many buildings. The "blurring" effect to your eyes make the led's look "fuller", even in bare spots~

Especially during the parade. All the floats and costumes had the LEDs and it sure did light the place up. It does look fuller the most on the buildings therefore making it look "new". Can't wait for the overload next year.
-Spencer

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2016, 09:09:15 PM »
I think it's the location for the Osborne lights that I question. I walked through Midtown this weekend, and the Hubs and I both commented how we liked the simplicity of it - lots of greenery, white lights on the buildings outlined with strands of solid colors.  It's beautiful!  And not crowded...      I wonder if a better place for that light exhibition would be Fireman's Landing.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »
I heard they might be putting up false facades around the buildings that will be in place just for Christmas, but they will have to have massive steel columns that will be permanent... We'll see how that will work out I guess.

I'm getting pretty excited about the emphasis on food and crafts next year. That's something we the fans have wanted for a long time. You gotta notice that the park has been really good over the last few years about seemingly responding to some of the thing fans and long-time visitors have been asking for.

No signs of anything happening near or around the entrance area from what I could see.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »
I heard they might be putting up false facades around the buildings that will be in place just for Christmas, but they will have to have massive steel columns that will be permanent... We'll see how that will work out I guess.

I'm getting pretty excited about the emphasis on food and crafts next year. That's something we the fans have wanted for a long time. You gotta notice that the park has been really good over the last few years about seemingly responding to some of the thing fans and long-time visitors have been asking for.

No signs of anything happening near or around the entrance area from what I could see.

The columns won't be permanent, but the footers for them columns WILL be permanent.  This is causing them to have to tear up most of the pavement in the area and redo some areas.  I would imagine that a few things might have to be removed/tweaked to make room for everything that they are planning on doing.

Those that went to Coaster Christmas, was there any news on a new sit down restaurant concept coming for next year?  I just have a strong hunch that Springhouse might not be "Springhouse" next year.  Nothing to base the hunch on, just a gut feeling.
SWOOSH