Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 108067 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
Will it be open this new years eve and day?  2016 pass holders get 2 bonus days?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2016, 04:43:12 PM »
Will it be open this new years eve and day?  2016 pass holders get 2 bonus days?

No.  2017
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »
Interesting to see changes in emphasis once again.

Christmas in Midtown seems like it could mean the decmation/revitalization of midtown again (depending on how you want to look at it.) There's a lot of dead weight there that hasn't changed with the park, for better or worse. Obviously the tree house has just been waiting for a better use for that real estate, but what about the paint studio, old sandwich shop, and the other shop that I can't remember off the top of my head? It's kind of an awkward area, so I'm wondering if they're planning on opening it up and re-doing the landscaping from scratch. That's another thing we've been talking about since RiverBlast.

I just hope they keep/add to the interactive details of the area. If they take out the tree house, they'll probably get rid of the old ghost trap as well, but there's still the diorama and the "Don't look in this hole!" gag at least. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »
The Christmas in Midtown was always going to happen.  Sounds like (at bare minimum) there will be changes to the pavement there so they can put in the foundations for the Christmas decor that'll grace the area. 

====

Here's an update on 2017 projects (marquee, access road, EH restrooms)
http://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/2016/10/project-2017-sdc.html?m=1
SWOOSH

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »
I just saw SDC's official facebook page about 2017. I paused it on the "Christmas in Midtown" image...looks like they purchased/acquired the Jennings Osborne light's from Disney's Hollywood Studios!!! These were the lights originally on the Jennings Osborne home in Little Rock, Arkansas. SDC never actually said this, but it is VERY obvious by the renderings that they are indeed the Osborne light displays!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »
I just saw SDC's official facebook page about 2017. I paused it on the "Christmas in Midtown" image...looks like they purchased/acquired the Jennings Osborne light's from Disney's Hollywood Studios!!! These were the lights originally on the Jennings Osborne home in Little Rock, Arkansas. SDC never actually said this, but it is VERY obvious by the renderings that they are indeed the Osborne light displays!

Can this be confirmed by anyone? That would be amazing!! I liked pretty much everything I read on SDC's website for 2017. I am honestly kind of happy we aren't getting a huge new ride in 2017...sometimes it is good to focus on those small things that make the park special.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2016, 05:19:27 PM »
So are they expanding their Christmas Festival to make sure that they stay ahead of the new Christmas events in the area (especially Worlds of Fun)? Not that Worlds of Fun will be better than Silver Dollar City, but it is smart for them to advertise upgrades to their Christmas festival so people don't just think "oh, we went to SDC Christmas last season, lets go to Worlds of Fun this year"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2016, 11:50:30 PM »
Not sure how I feel about the Christmas in Midtown lights... I never saw the Osborne lights in person, but I've seen plenty pictures/videos from Disney World, and... I dunno. It just feels too gaudy to me. I mean, I know SDC is full of lights for Christmas anyway, but they've tended to follow the lines of the buildings and the trees. The biggest "display" outside of the tree has been the "Rejoice" sign on Lake Silver. But the CiM display looks like it's gonna look exactly like the Osborne lights, and it just feels like TOO much.... *shrugs*

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2016, 06:15:26 PM »
Yikes, Joy!  I had to youtube the Osborne Lights to see what you were talking about.  Not sure how I feel about it either....could be a bit much.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2016, 08:03:58 PM »
Not sure how I feel about the Christmas in Midtown lights... I never saw the Osborne lights in person, but I've seen plenty pictures/videos from Disney World, and... I dunno. It just feels too gaudy to me. I mean, I know SDC is full of lights for Christmas anyway, but they've tended to follow the lines of the buildings and the trees. The biggest "display" outside of the tree has been the "Rejoice" sign on Lake Silver. But the CiM display looks like it's gonna look exactly like the Osborne lights, and it just feels like TOO much.... *shrugs*

It's going to look like it ... because it IS it.
They will be contained to Midtown so if you don't like them just avoid that area. 
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
On the bright side, (pun intended) if they do not remove the tree house they could do some neat things with it with this setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4PaB4TenH4
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:30:22 PM by sdcfan88 »

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2016, 01:43:38 PM »
I've seen the Osborne lights in person twice. It would be awesome if this is true. Note the sections from Osborne are the structures the lights are on not everything you see in the videos. The actual lights them selves were cut down after the last year. So don't judge it too harshly. When I was at hollywood studios this was the only display that felt more like Christmas than silver dollar city to me. If SDC animated them the way Disney did it would be cool. But the Osborne lights did not start out being synced to music that came later.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
I have seen the  osborne lights in person. They are no more gaudy and intrusive than that obnoxious tree we have now. I say bring it on.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
Former Disney castmember in me, and the skeptic... is there a confirmation of this somewhere or just a rumor?  From what I heard from my friends when they took down the Osborne lights this last time many of them were scrapped.  I'm also skeptical that the contract that Disney had with the family would allow them to be sold/ moved to a non-Disney park.

Met the family a couple of times while I worked there, and they were very proud of the exclusives and the packages that were done with that contract with Disney.

Edit- let me just add, if you are basing it on the video and the brief glimpse there, that may not be a safe bet.  While those lights are similar, that is absolutely a photoshopped image and it not a photo of the lights from Hollywood Studios or their home.  I have seen similar light displays to those in a couple of different places.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:24:48 PM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »
It's not been confirmed by the PTB but so far most of my sources are saying that the hardware is from Osborne's.  Realize that the hardware was just the metal parts. Disney added the lights and yes they were cut down after last season. 

Unless my Disney sources are wrong, the contract with Osbornes was terminated after last season making it a free agent
SWOOSH