Author Topic: if I fits, I sits! (plus size rider advice needed!)  (Read 2479 times)

AllyLuYah

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
if I fits, I sits! (plus size rider advice needed!)
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
My hubby and I are making the trip down to SDC this weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We're both fluffy people. The last we were there, hubs was a men's size 52 and I was an 18 in ladies. We fit into Fire In the Hole pretty comfortably but had no other opportunities to ride roller coasters as it was October. I'm a size larger and he is a few as well now. I figure we probably wont be okay in Outlaw Run or Wildfire, but what about Lost River of The Ozarks or American Plunge? I know LROTO has a velcro belt, but will it fit? Just trying to relieve some anxiety here guys. I'd like to enjoy our time but also avoid any uncomfortable situations. Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: if I fits, I sits! (plus size rider advice needed!)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 08:49:46 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the forums! According to SDC's Ride Accessibility Guide, guests with a waistline of 40 inches or greater may not be able to ride Outlaw Run, Electro Spin, Elephant March, The GIANT Barn Swing, The Grand Exposition Coaster, High-Low Silos, FireFall, Up The Ladder, Magnificent Wave Carousel, Regatta, PowderKeg, Thunderation and WildFire.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:22 PM »
You're only a size 20? Depending on how your weight is distributed (every person is different), you should actually fit pretty well on the rides. The last time I was there, back in 2013, I was in size 24 jeans and I fit on everything (including Outlaw Run, but that was before they did some adjustments to the restraints). I'm 5'3" and average around 250 to 260 lbs, so that should give you a general idea of the fit.

I *have* had some difficulty getting the over-the-shoulder restraints locked on Wildfire due to a large bust, but have always managed to get it to lock; I've never had to do the "Walk of Shame" on any of the SDC rides (unlike at Six Flags St. Louis - the OTSRs on the Superman tower and Batman coaster are not as forgiving to large chests).

Best thing to do would be to try out the test seats. I know Wildfire and Outlaw Run have them; pretty sure Powderkeg does, too. Also, Wildfire has "big person" seats in row... 4 or 5? I'm not entirely sure, 'cause I've always managed to fit in the regular seats on the back row (my favorite spot on the train).

AllyLuYah

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »
Thank yall so much for the help! I figured I'd be pretty okay. I just want my husband to be comfortable and not have any issues. If anyone else has any experience with fitting with a 54' waist, I'd be much obliged if you'd share. Again, thanks very much for the help thus far!

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
Look for the test seats in front of the rides....OR, PK, WF have them.....other might too (FF and Barn Swing?).   Just jump on them first before waiting for a ride to see if it is obvious if you will have any issues.  I know there is a great youtube clip of a guy who took the walk of shame on PK and then documented himself trimming up and coming back to ride it later.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"