Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511767 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1890 on: June 07, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
There was a time when hanging out at a business and not spending there was called loittering and was frowned upon. But...not in the SJW diseased days we are living in.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: June 07, 2018, 10:09:57 AM »
Sand, I'm not supporting Starbucks AT ALL, but they did support the troops during the Iraqi war when my son was there as a Captain. He talked about it.  Not sure about 3 or 4 yrs. ago...what's the story there?

As I remember details a well known organization was putting together care packages for the troops, and when S******** was approached to join the effort, they said no, they would not donate product or their employees time. :( :(

Just another reason to just say no.!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1892 on: June 07, 2018, 10:33:04 AM »
I don't drink coffee anyway, but if I did...  I don't even like the smell.

Anyway, I think this area is ripe for this idea, especially before the rope drop.  It could easily be marketed in the handouts at the gate, and it really doesn't involve much in the area of capital investment.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: June 07, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »
Starbucks never refused to help the troops at any point. This rumor started during 9/11 and resurfaces every year to 2 years. I don’t like coffee but I do love their tea.

That being said, I can’t imagine the city ever bringing in Starbucks or caribou or any other chain coffee store. They will do their own brand.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1894 on: June 07, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
Roark Mountain Roasters
Tanney Tea Imports

Names?
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: June 07, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
^
????????????????????????????????????

They can do that at any Starbucks (or McDonalds for that matter).  Leave the laptops at home and enjoy SDC for the 1880s frontier village it is!

Think PRE-ROPE DROP.

If they would keep it that way it may be ok.  Still I don't think I would like to see people sitting around SDC with laptops.  Aren't we the keepers of the theme?  Didn't we rant and rave when they had a Facebook logo on the Outlaw Run sign?  Can't we keep the frontier illusion?  <end of rant>  wow did we ever get off topic.  I think I need to go watch a western...
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1896 on: June 07, 2018, 04:31:12 PM »
^

They can do that at any Starbucks (or McDonalds for that matter).  Leave the laptops at home and enjoy SDC for the 1880s frontier village it is!

Think PRE-ROPE DROP.

If they would keep it that way it may be ok.  Still I don't think I would like to see people sitting around SDC with laptops.  Aren't we the keepers of the theme?  Didn't we rant and rave when they had a Facebook logo on the Outlaw Run sign?  Can't we keep the frontier illusion?  <end of rant>  wow did we ever get off topic.  I think I need to go watch a western...

The difference is that it is SDC's job to keep the theme and not the visitors'.  I don't harp about guests wearing digital watches and talking on cell phones, but when I see an employee in costume doing those things...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: June 07, 2018, 04:40:04 PM »
^

Think PRE-ROPE DROP.

Not wanting to argue but don"t you think that ship has already sailed ?  A cell phone now days is as powerful as most computers. They encourage people to check the app. for ride and show times. Everyone is taking photos with their phones. Heck you even have employees with tablets doing surveys. I do not really care because I would not bring in a laptop anyway. I just want a nice coffee shop. 

To be totally honest I do not even know what the theme is anymore it has been broken so many times. Now we have all the outskirt areas. Wilsons farm, Grand exposition, Firemans landing, TT, cartoon characters, They had the globtrotters. Then in the fall they throw in the cowboy stuff. It is totally confusing.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: June 07, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
To be totally honest I do not even know what the theme is anymore it has been broken so many times. Now we have all the outskirt areas. Wilsons farm, Grand exposition, Firemans landing, TT, cartoon characters, They had the globtrotters. Then in the fall they throw in the cowboy stuff. It is totally confusing.

Nope.  Not going to keep my mouth shut on this one.  The park's themes all fit into the bigger story of the 1880s city.  Until we go down the rabbit hole that is Dollywood with its themes that are all over the place, we are NOT going to be the board that is known for whining about stuff like this.  Our themes work together.  Yes GE is a bit of a stretch, but it still works.  1950s with 1880s at Dollywood does not.  We are not even close to being "confusing" unless you are going out of your way to be "confused"

and I am still wondering how this entire conversation has ANYTHING to do with 2018 projects.  Sounds like this should be in future speculation or ideas.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1899 on: June 07, 2018, 08:33:13 PM »
LOL, this is turning into such a classic SDCFans thread. Only here will you find enthusiasts that think the possibility of someone on a laptop in the park is something to worry about.

I mean, I get where you are coming from. At one point it was kind of frowned up to bring in electronics, and anything electronic on park was thoroughly hidden. As we've noted countless times though, that ship has sailed so far it's hardly in sight anymore.

But yeah, as Swoosh noted, getting off topic here. Doesn't seem like there's any indication that this will be anything more than a BOH building, though who knows. It could be re-purposed one day depending on how it's designed.

There's been rumors they do want to put in a coffee shop/cafe somewhere, but I'll leave that to the speculation thread.

We totally skipped right over that article about Time Traveler's uptime.
http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Silver-Dollar-City-explains-causes-of-maintenance-delays-on-Time-Traveler-483994491.html

It's definitely been finicky, but it's at that point where at least it operates pretty much every day at least a little... Doesn't seem like there will be much chance for them to really improve it until next season. 

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: June 08, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »
Roark Mountain Roasters
Tanney Tea Imports

Names?

Ozark Dark Moonshine   "The hardest drink served at SDC"
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: June 09, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
^^  Issuing the "front of the line" passes is a good idea. I wonder how far back in line they issue the passes?  I hadn't heard about that before.  Has anyone posting here been issued one of these after having been turned away for maintenance issues?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: June 13, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »
The building replacing Big Jacks is nearing completion.  It’s wooden instead of rock and stucco.  I’ll try to get photos of it soon. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: June 13, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
The building replacing Big Jacks is nearing completion.  It’s wooden instead of rock and stucco.  I’ll try to get photos of it soon.

They must have kicked it up a couple of gears since I was there..  All they had was footings, 2 weeks ago..  good for them

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
SWOOSH