Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511887 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1830 on: April 22, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
Yeah I am probably being a bit on the pessimistic side here, but I kinda have a bad feeling with the expenditure on TT and then reportedly going over budget on its development/construction, they might not do anything major to the park in the next 4-5 years. The weather is also probably a determining factor as I am thinking the PTB are not liking the low crowds right now considering that they just opened and hyped up a worlds first coaster. Unlike DW, SDC does not have the crowds and capital that park can bring in which at the end of the day is what matters where expansions and additions are concerned. The summer season crowds will be the most telling on this aspect as to whether the massive risk & investment on TT was a success or not.

The weather has been such a huge factor so far....it's been crazy how bad the weather has been on the weekends so far this year.  They still have had some packed days.  I don't even know how you measure ROI on an investment like this ride?  I guess you just survey the public to see how many actually just come to see the new ride.  SDC been so packed the last few years it actually boggles my mind that the park can even handle bigger crowds.  Almost seems to me they have to invest in rides just to help maintain the customer base.  I'm really leaning towards hoping they restore the old rides next.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 23, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
Yeah I am probably being a bit on the pessimistic side here, but I kinda have a bad feeling with the expenditure on TT and then reportedly going over budget on its development/construction, they might not do anything major to the park in the next 4-5 years. The weather is also probably a determining factor as I am thinking the PTB are not liking the low crowds right now considering that they just opened and hyped up a worlds first coaster. Unlike DW, SDC does not have the crowds and capital that park can bring in which at the end of the day is what matters where expansions and additions are concerned. The summer season crowds will be the most telling on this aspect as to whether the massive risk & investment on TT was a success or not.

The weather is the #1 issue, wE have skipped two weekends due to it. This weekend We are in Vegas, so with season passes it looks like May before we step foot in the park :(

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 23, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
traffic count will be fine...  We get school out for summer,  weather breaks.. 3 hour wait lines for TT..  Get ready!! Its coming.......

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 23, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »
traffic count will be fine...  We get school out for summer,  weather breaks.. 3 hour wait lines for TT..  Get ready!! Its coming.......

Yep, that's why we should enjoy these slow days while they last.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: May 04, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
To Anyone going tomorrow, Good Luck with the new area around TT and going downhill...   

If there is the crowd of people like we think there will be, you wont be able to get within 200 yards of that area.  it will be shoulder to shoulder from Browns Candy to Frisco Barn and over to The Train..

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1835 on: May 05, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »
To Anyone going tomorrow, Good Luck with the new area around TT and going downhill...   

If there is the crowd of people like we think there will be, you wont be able to get within 200 yards of that area.  it will be shoulder to shoulder from Browns Candy to Frisco Barn and over to The Train..
Yeah imagine what Christmas will be like... it was already kinda bad around there when everyone was trying to pile up around that area waiting for the train.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 06, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »

Yeah imagine what Christmas will be like... it was already kinda bad around there when everyone was trying to pile up around that area waiting for the train.

I am surprised at how crowded that new walkway appears to be..  I really looked it over and there 2 or 3 spots there will barley be room for parade, let alone spectators...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1837 on: May 07, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
Yes, this weekend really exposed the fact that they didn't make much improvement crowd-control-wise to that area. They did what was necessary to squeeze Time Traveler in, and the new food setups are nice, but why on earth did they not make wider pathways a priority after going through all that?

The pinch point next to the TT gift shop is especially egregious. There's a pointlessly large flowerbed that sticks out and makes the pathway just barely wide enough for the parade to slip through. I'm curious if they'll come back in and reshape that this winter... or even before.

Whatever though, it's still an overall improvement I guess, and it looks great.

Time Traveler continues to be a huge hit. It is honestly more fun every time I ride. My first few rides I was kinda disappointed by the lack of intensity. Once you get over that though, you start to appreciate it for what it is. If you have a group of people riding with you it is even more fun because you can interact with them in the neighboring cars throughout the ride. Sounds like it still has plenty of teething issues with intermittent downtime, but at least it operates almost every day instead of being simply down all the time like LR was.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: May 07, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
^Agreed on all points.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: May 13, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
Here's an article from Branson Tri-Lakes News about Time Traveler and the ACE conference:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_d80538de-53d7-11e8-96c2-4f13b8b876c3.html

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: May 13, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »
It got stuck at one point today.  Not sure if it had riders on it as the trees have leafed out,and it's now hard to see from the Culinary School porch. Didn't seem to take too long to get it running.  I heard some joke about Harvey getting to ride alone, so I'm assuming that was a dummy test drive, but the others on the porch seemed to think it was a real person being really brave.  ;D

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: May 13, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »
I was there on Friday and got updated photos and operational video of Time Traveler. I have to say it's gotten A LOT better since it has finally broken itself in. I had not rode it since opening day and it feels quite a bit more intense now.

Really the only gripe I still have is how it stops at the first launch. Hopefully in the off season they can copy/paste the programing used from the second launch onto the first to eliminate that 10 second pause. (which also seems to be having issues stranding riders on the track causing the ride to get shut down for maintenance) Either that or construct some kind of simple show building with some smoke and lights or something.

VIDEO:
https://youtu.be/_c0b6SVWFOw

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:30:01 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1842 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
Awesome photos as always.

They aren't ever going to get rid of the stop before the launch unless they go down to two trains though. It's a block section, not merely an issue of programming. Some kind of little tunnel/shed would have made it more interesting, but that ship has sailed.

I agree that the ride experience has gotten better. I don't know if it is from breaking in, or if they've played with the settings, or if it is merely psychological from getting over the initial expectations. Somehow it is more fun every time I ride.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: May 14, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
I was there on Friday and got updated photos and operational video of Time Traveler. I have to say it's gotten A LOT better since it has finally broken itself in. I had not rode it since opening day and it feels quite a bit more intense now.

Really the only gripe I still have is how it stops at the first launch. Hopefully in the off season they can copy/paste the programing used from the second launch onto the first to eliminate that 10 second pause. (which also seems to be having issues stranding riders on the track causing the ride to get shut down for maintenance) Either that or construct some kind of simple show building with some smoke and lights or something.

VIDEO:
https://youtu.be/_c0b6SVWFOw

Shoulda had a show building

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: May 15, 2018, 02:02:41 AM »
Thanks all.