Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511744 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1755 on: March 18, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
I was at the park yesterday. My initial thoughts of TT are very similar to others on the board. The ride is surprisingly tame. Watching that first drop out the window, you begin to get very excited for the thrill of the ride. However, the ride is surprisingly not too fast. I would also be hesitant to call this a spinning coaster. I think it would be more accurate to call it a rotating coaster. I think I made 1 complete spin the entire ride. I also agree that a show building at the first launch would really help to put this ride over the top.

My gripes about the station are the same as everyone else's. The first floor is very bare, second floor better, third floor a lot of fun! I didn't even notice the Wild Mountain sign in the queue but that is awesome! That shows us that even with budget cuts for the theming, there was still a ton of thought put into it. I'm not expecting any additions to the station or the ride itself in regards to theming. Typically what SDC has given us at initial roll out is what we get. The new Valley Road area looks very nice, but it will take some getting used to. I'm actually amazed with what they were able to do with the area. It all blends in nicely with the SDC architecture, and doesn't look out of place. I'll be interested to see how the Christmas parade flows through that area.

Now that I have rode the ride, I think the marketing for TT was very interesting. I don't think they went for the "family ride" angle very strong like they did for OR. I definitely think this is more of a family attraction than OR is, but for OR they tried so hard to market it as a thrilling coaster for families. TT was all about being the world record holder for so many different things. Just interesting to think about.

All in all, SDC definitely has a winner on their hands with TT. I'm excited for the opportunities and the future of the park that this new coaster will open up.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 18, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
A train is currently sitting at the first launch and worker are up there talking to people on it.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: March 18, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »
So first impressions... Fun ride, not very thrilling, but fun. Everything looks pretty nice, but I'm not totally any of it really "makes sense". Time Traveler is impressively mild given the sum of it's elements. After the drop it feels like Firechaser with a couple of loops thrown in. Listening to everyone watching though it may as well be Top Thrill Dragster. It's the family coaster most kids are too scared to ride.

It works well for me though, I like the softer experience these days. Outlaw Run is still awesome, but I can only do it so much. This is a great blend of fun and whimsy with just enough thrill to give it some flavor.

The area up top is nicely done. A bit plain, and some of the signage looks like it came from worlds of fun, but the effort put in to bring in new mature trees is great. You can't tell where the old path was. I just don't get why it was worth the trouble for them. It is set up a bit better logistically, but there's not really any added room. The parade will be tough through here....

Time Traveler's station is a bit on the plain side. There's a couple spots of interesting theming, but most of it is indeed blank space as I had earlier feared. Overall there's enough cool stuff to look at that it matches the effort from Outlaw Run and looks adequate, but I was hoping for a bit more.

All in all, it's nice and uniquely SDC.

As far as the new setup is concerned. Have they alleviated the problems of the skillet lines backing up into the main thoroughfare ? If that has been accomplished especially during peak days I think it would be a win.

It does not seem to me that is has.  Seems worse but that is probably just the increased crowds in that area.  Maybe it will calm down eventually. I will say they have just about buried FM behind all that.  You can't really see it anymore and would not even know it was there unless you were walking to the train and happened to look over.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 18, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »
A train is currently sitting at the first launch and worker are up there talking to people on it.

I am telling you I just have this bad feeling this will be a ride that breaks down quite a bit.  It is just way too complicated.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1759 on: March 18, 2018, 02:03:08 PM »
So first impressions... Fun ride, not very thrilling, but fun. Everything looks pretty nice, but I'm not totally any of it really "makes sense". Time Traveler is impressively mild given the sum of it's elements. After the drop it feels like Firechaser with a couple of loops thrown in. Listening to everyone watching though it may as well be Top Thrill Dragster. It's the family coaster most kids are too scared to ride.

It works well for me though, I like the softer experience these days. Outlaw Run is still awesome, but I can only do it so much. This is a great blend of fun and whimsy with just enough thrill to give it some flavor.

The area up top is nicely done. A bit plain, and some of the signage looks like it came from worlds of fun, but the effort put in to bring in new mature trees is great. You can't tell where the old path was. I just don't get why it was worth the trouble for them. It is set up a bit better logistically, but there's not really any added room. The parade will be tough through here....

Time Traveler's station is a bit on the plain side. There's a couple spots of interesting theming, but most of it is indeed blank space as I had earlier feared. Overall there's enough cool stuff to look at that it matches the effort from Outlaw Run and looks adequate, but I was hoping for a bit more.

All in all, it's nice and uniquely SDC.

As far as the new setup is concerned. Have they alleviated the problems of the skillet lines backing up into the main thoroughfare ? If that has been accomplished especially during peak days I think it would be a win.

It does not seem to me that is has.  Seems worse but that is probably just the increased crowds in that area.  Maybe it will calm down eventually. I will say they have just about buried FM behind all that.  You can't really see it anymore and would not even know it was there unless you were walking to the train and happened to look over.

Funny thing about FM is that ridership was up this past week. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1760 on: March 18, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »
So many people are having trouble finding FM now, but there are enough old times who are used to the hidden entrance that they are staying busy. Crazy that they don't have a proper sign, especially now.

The guy this morning was apparently wrong about the temperature to open TT. Still seems pretty finicky though. Hopefully just opening week jitters.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: March 18, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »
Rumor is that it was a rollback after the first launch. No idea if that is true as I didn’t see it happen.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 18, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »
Just rode Cobra's Curse, it was a mere 6 out of 10 for crew. No one itched to reride with a 40 minute wait. Hoping this  Mack make up for it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:20:37 PM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 18, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »

I am telling you I just have this bad feeling this will be a ride that breaks down quite a bit.  It is just way too complicated.

I'm worried too....seems like a lot of fail points....a lot more than a traditional coaster that really just has a lift hill, brake run(s), train restraints, and station stuff that could break.  This ride has all that (minus the lift hill) plus two launch hills and a controlled spin feature.  Added risks for a new type of ride.  I really hope we are wrong and the it's actually more reliable.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 18, 2018, 08:39:33 PM »
Here's a walk through of the changes to Valley Road.
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/03/valley-road-changes-sdc.html

Here's a walk through of all of the decorations in the Time Traveler queue
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/03/time-traveler-sdc_17.html
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: March 18, 2018, 08:47:54 PM »

I'm worried too....seems like a lot of fail points....a lot more than a traditional coaster that really just has a lift hill, brake run(s), train restraints, and station stuff that could break.  This ride has all that (minus the lift hill) plus two launch hills and a controlled spin feature.  Added risks for a new type of ride.  I really hope we are wrong and the it's actually more reliable.

I’m really not that concerned. It’s a new type of ride that has only been open to the public for 5 days so there are bound to be initial issues to be resolved. Also, Mack isn’t new to multi launch coasters. It’s way too early to claim doom and gloom.

Bigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 18, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
We tried Time Traveler 3 times today but it was down each time.  It was up for about 15 minutes early in the afternoon then about 10 minutes later in the day.  They finally gave up and shut it down for good just after 5.

Hopefully, they can bring someone in while the park is closed the next 2 days to fix it.  We’ll try again on Wednesday.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 18, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »
4th car restraints on all 3 trains have gremlins.  I too hope that can get taken care of. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1768 on: March 18, 2018, 10:53:06 PM »
Here's a walk through of the changes to Valley Road.
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/03/valley-road-changes-sdc.html

Here's a walk through of all of the decorations in the Time Traveler queue
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2018/03/time-traveler-sdc_17.html
1.  Thanks for the report.  I see that they've been in operation for "almost 30 years" and that they were established in 1968.  That puts us closer to the turn of the century than we've ever been (I think.).

2.  I also notice a couple of advertisements in there - one for cinnamon bread at E&D's, the other for Buckshot's Skillet (to get oil for the time experiment).

3.  It's still hard to envision the new walkways from pictures.  The whole area's going to look different.

4.  I'm interested in seeing the track once the trees green up.  Too bad they couldn't have some ground vegetation in there.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 19, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
As always great pics..  everything looks good.

it does appear that the area in front of Bathrooms, TNT and TT entrance is still going to be "busy"..

6 more days and I can see it all myself..