Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 512100 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1740 on: March 17, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
Finally made it here. Didn't get much of a chance to really check the area out yet since I'm in the massive opening line, but my first impression is that they didn't actually open it up much at all? It's arranged better I guess, but I thought the objective was more crowd space....  Everything looks nice though and it blends perfectly with the park. They added a number mature trees and kept some.

I have another week before I can check it out..  Ready to see what happened!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1741 on: March 17, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »
So first impressions... Fun ride, not very thrilling, but fun. Everything looks pretty nice, but I'm not totally any of it really "makes sense". Time Traveler is impressively mild given the sum of it's elements. After the drop it feels like Firechaser with a couple of loops thrown in. Listening to everyone watching though it may as well be Top Thrill Dragster. It's the family coaster most kids are too scared to ride.

It works well for me though, I like the softer experience these days. Outlaw Run is still awesome, but I can only do it so much. This is a great blend of fun and whimsy with just enough thrill to give it some flavor.

The area up top is nicely done. A bit plain, and some of the signage looks like it came from worlds of fun, but the effort put in to bring in new mature trees is great. You can't tell where the old path was. I just don't get why it was worth the trouble for them. It is set up a bit better logistically, but there's not really any added room. The parade will be tough through here....

Time Traveler's station is a bit on the plain side. There's a couple spots of interesting theming, but most of it is indeed blank space as I had earlier feared. Overall there's enough cool stuff to look at that it matches the effort from Outlaw Run and looks adequate, but I was hoping for a bit more.

All in all, it's nice and uniquely SDC.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 17, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
So first impressions... Fun ride, not very thrilling, but fun. Everything looks pretty nice, but I'm not totally any of it really "makes sense". Time Traveler is impressively mild given the sum of it's elements. After the drop it feels like Firechaser with a couple of loops thrown in. Listening to everyone watching though it may as well be Top Thrill Dragster. It's the family coaster most kids are too scared to ride.

It works well for me though, I like the softer experience these days. Outlaw Run is still awesome, but I can only do it so much. This is a great blend of fun and whimsy with just enough thrill to give it some flavor.

The area up top is nicely done. A bit plain, and some of the signage looks like it came from worlds of fun, but the effort put in to bring in new mature trees is great. You can't tell where the old path was. I just don't get why it was worth the trouble for them. It is set up a bit better logistically, but there's not really any added room. The parade will be tough through here....

Time Traveler's station is a bit on the plain side. There's a couple spots of interesting theming, but most of it is indeed blank space as I had earlier feared. Overall there's enough cool stuff to look at that it matches the effort from Outlaw Run and looks adequate, but I was hoping for a bit more.

All in all, it's nice and uniquely SDC.

As far as the new setup is concerned. Have they alleviated the problems of the skillet lines backing up into the main thoroughfare ? If that has been accomplished especially during peak days I think it would be a win. 

jsgoode

• View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 17, 2018, 03:54:28 PM »
I just listened to Coasterradio, and they talked about Time Traveler's opening. http://www.coasterradio.com/episodes/1223.html

Something to note is it sounds like the ride used three times the amount of concrete they originally planned for, and that took away some of the money for theming. I don't know how true this is, but it sounds plausible. It also says the park didn't expect the restraints to be so restrictive, so there might be some adjustments done in the future. It's fun to listen to if you want more opinions and firsthand experiences about the ride.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1744 on: March 17, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »
It seems to be a "theme" with SDC to skimp on theming elements late into the construction stage.  You just know there was more planned in the LR final room before disembarking - certainly more than a beating heart and pulsing light.  There's still a need for a splash effect on PK as was in the original plans.  And for this, we can only imagine there was more planned in the queue and possibly even a show building.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1745 on: March 17, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »
It seems to be a "theme" with SDC to skimp on theming elements late into the construction stage.  You just know there was more planned in the LR final room before disembarking - certainly more than a beating heart and pulsing light.  There's still a need for a splash effect on PK as was in the original plans.  And for this, we can only imagine there was more planned in the queue and possibly even a show building.

I will say while I'm disappointed on some of the theming being skimpy at least we didn't get treated to ancient Rome buildings as described in the concept. Lol  ::)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1746 on: March 17, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
Some of the theming decisions come down to the modern trend of the park. Notice how there are less hand painted signs every year? Less random old antiques hanging on buildings or scattered around flower buildings? Some of the new buildings have no adornments other than their basic architecture. They are going for a "clean" feeling now apparently, more like other parks. In the old days they decked everything out and had a tree growing through it...

To be fair, they can't fill up a truck with old farm and logging implements anymore at the local antique stores. Some of the stuff that has rotten away in the flower beds at SDC has been priceless, but when they got it, it was junk. It's a lot more expensive to come up with good theming these days.

I'm grateful for what they gave us though. It's nice, and leauges beyond most other parks. The thought process was good: story driven theme, providing a large indoor climate controlled queue space, and focusing on the elements that will still be noticed long term.

On a different note, seems like they are already having a few technical glitches today. Nothing major, but they had to take a train off, and the restraints are not wanting to open when the trains get back to the station. Queue is much slower now because they keep getting held up.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 17, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »

I will say while I'm disappointed on some of the theming being skimpy at least we didn't get treated to ancient Rome buildings as described in the concept. Lol  ::)

Amen to that.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1748 on: March 17, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
The wild mountain thing is hilarious. For a little bit I was pretty sure they had changed their mind about the time travel  theme. It seems like a big change from the "authenic" themes they've usually gone with, but the new storyline with the clock factory and such brought it back down to earth... Or at least a little closer.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1749 on: March 17, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
It also says the park didn't expect the restraints to be so restrictive, so there might be some adjustments done in the future. It's fun to listen to if you want more opinions and firsthand experiences about the ride.

I'm guessing by restrictive that they mean the passenger size restrictions?  As I found them very comfortable and free and easy to move around in, while also being firmly kept in your seat and secured.  one of the most comfortable coasters I've found as far as that goes.

I did see some people have to take the walk of shame, but they were people that I doubt would have fit on any other coaster in the park either- except maybe Wildfire's "big boy" seats.  I didn't see anyone have to walk that should have been surprised, but my experience has been limited.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1750 on: March 17, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »
Remember when the name Wild Mountain got thrown around? Saw this on TPR. It's great to see a little touch like this that 99% of people won't get.

Yep.  Most of the board was convinced that’s what the name would be even though I told them it would be Time Traveler. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:42 PM »
Some of the theming decisions come down to the modern trend of the park. Notice how there are less hand painted signs every year? Less random old antiques hanging on buildings or scattered around flower buildings? Some of the new buildings have no adornments other than their basic architecture. They are going for a "clean" feeling now apparently, more like other parks. In the old days they decked everything out and had a tree growing through it...

More room for years-of-service signs, I suppose.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 17, 2018, 10:53:29 PM »

Wow....I had that same thought.  At least they didn't have that corny Roller Coaster Tycoon theming scattered through the woods like the concept ride.  I simple tunnel and lighting effect still would have been great.

I haven't seen the queue building yet....but I'm not sure why we should expect much more than we got....it seems on par with the other ride station themes at SDC.  Other then the disney and universal parks....it's a lot better than 90% of the cedar fair and six flags rides.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1753 on: March 18, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »
Sure, it's better than SF or CF parks, but that's not any bar to aspire to. They usually do nothing, and when they do something it's usually a couple small props and a cool sign. We were always hoping they would head towards being the Disney of the Ozarks. To be fair, I think they are getting there in various ways. We will always gripe about the theming because of the impossible bar that was set by Mary.

In other news, apparently the new temperature cutoff for TT is 43 degrees. (Edit: nope, turns out the guy this morning was wrong about the temp to open) It's closed all morning I guess. Not going to be good for Christmas time. The 40 cutoff for some rides is already rough. Between that and the restraint issues, it's not quite as perfect as rollout as I expected from Mack. Hopefully both things will be improved before long.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:12:39 PM by shavethewhales »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1754 on: March 18, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »
Warmed up quicker than I thought. As of 10:20 it is running and the line is back up to 2 hours.