Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511964 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1680 on: March 13, 2018, 02:06:36 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/Silverdollarcity/videos/10156194042312603/

At about 0:45 in the video above, it looks like there is a green screen photo area just as you enter the building.
It's also a more complete walkthrough of the building while empty.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:08:24 PM by mg »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1681 on: March 13, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »
^Yeah, see that video would have been great to post this morning, lol.

I'm very curious to hear some "real" rider reactions tomorrow. Lots of talk around the web about how not-intense it actually looks after the initial hype. That was kind of my expectation, that it will be a really fun ride, but not the super-intense puke factory that we were scared of from the initial concept announcement. It's really more of a "swivel" coaster vs. a spinning coaster. Maybe the magnets are on super hard today and will be loosened up in the future? Seems likely.

Even just swiveling around gives you most of the intriguing sensations though, I assume. Getting to launch and go through loops sideways and backwards, not knowing how you will be positioned on each ride...

jsgoode

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: March 13, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »
I just watched the official POV video on their Facebook page, and I'm impressed. While the forward-facing video looks tame, the spinning adds so much to it. I'm excited to try it out, as it is unlike anything else I've seen. Going sideways in the vertical loop looks so strange.

As far as the theming, it reminds me of Lightning Rod as well (which I also haven't been on, so I'm just guessing). The top two floors are intriguing, but I am slightly disappointed with the bottom floor, as I thought it would be what we saw in the video about Charles and Emmeline. I was thinking dim lighting with books and clocks scattered everywhere, which I don't think I see in the few videos I've seen. I could be wrong though. I do think what they have is well done, and similar to the park's other queues. Overall though, the whole experience appears to be outstanding.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1683 on: March 13, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »
I'm rendering my video of the day right now.  it includes a walk through of the queue, on ride and off ride footage, a look at the merch and the store, and a walk through of the area so you can see the changes.  Give it 2 hours (hopefully less) to have it online.  I'll post a link here as soon as it is.

I'm also going to upload all of the photos I took today. They aren't in the video.  I'll have that link in 30-60 minutes for you.

It's a great ride.  I wonder if the tunnels and things were ever in teh actual plans or not. But the truth is, with the rotation, you wouldn't have even really noticed stuff on the ground or around the ride.  Tunnels, maybe a bit, but the rest goes by very quickly and at ever changing angles.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1684 on: March 13, 2018, 07:40:24 PM »
I'm still hoping for a story.  I know we've seen the background in the reveal videos, but it doesn't seem to be intact in today's videos.  I need more than just some turning gears to say that it's themed well.  Some of this queue is similar to the engineering sketches of WF.  And please don't even ask me to get my picture taken before my ride every time.  I hope being there in person makes the difference.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »
I'm still hoping for a story.  I know we've seen the background in the reveal videos, but it doesn't seem to be intact in today's videos.

Brad gives the background "story" in the dedication today.  You can see it in my online stream from earlier today at https://youtu.be/kM2lr9PoDu0 just after the 15 minute mark.  I'm uploading my review, onride video, etc right now, which only has a clip from that.  I'm debating whether or not to upload my higher quality version of the dedication or not.

Admittedly, there isn't much that conveys the story in the station or on the ride itself, other than some clocks around the station.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

jsgoode

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: March 13, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »
Does the ride unload people before it reaches the station? I've seen a couple of videos that make it look like that, like the live stream of the first train. Will this always be the case, or is it just for today?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1687 on: March 13, 2018, 08:38:38 PM »
I'm still hoping for a story.  I know we've seen the background in the reveal videos, but it doesn't seem to be intact in today's videos.  I need more than just some turning gears to say that it's themed well.  Some of this queue is similar to the engineering sketches of WF.  And please don't even ask me to get my picture taken before my ride every time.  I hope being there in person makes the difference.

There's definitely a story. Did you see the speech Brad gave before they opened the queue this morning? The whole thing about the inventor who inherits a clock factory and his daughter?

Does the ride unload people before it reaches the station? I've seen a couple of videos that make it look like that, like the live stream of the first train. Will this always be the case, or is it just for today?

There's an unload platform right in front of the station. Hopefully this makes it super efficient as there will always be one train loading and one train unloading at the same time.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 13, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »

it is definitely set up to do that, with a separate unload area.  But they didn't always unload there.  I suspect that may vary due to staffing levels, number of trains operating, crowd levels, etc.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1689 on: March 13, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
^^Yes, that's the story on video and in speeches, but I don't see the queue bringing visitors into the story.  It is the setting for the story, but all visitors are getting is that some guy invented a time machine - which apparently turns and drives on a track but doesn't really travel through time or even create the illusion of such.  I mean, Brad's not going to stand in the line and give his speech every day is he?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1690 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »
^I mean, there's only so much you can do to bring out the story, short of spelling it out on signage. Wildfire does a pretty good job, but to the lay person it's just a bunch of pipes and drawings all over the place. I think there's enough details here that you can piece it together, but it is definitely sparse in some areas.

Some of the photos from the lower level at various angles again make it look like just a big empty room. You have to look up to see the hanging clocks though. The walls are largely bare...

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: March 13, 2018, 09:07:25 PM »
Video is finally up!
Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City is now open! We were at media day with opening ceremony coverage, full on-ride Point of View video, review, off ride video, queue walk through, area overview, and more!

https://youtu.be/Q3IDWz5fNmw

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 13, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »
Very nice Sir Willow and thanks for the video. Interesting to see how the area around the ride has changed from last season. Looking forward to getting out there and seeing it in person.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 13, 2018, 10:34:49 PM »
Great video Sir Willow! I enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait to see all the new changes, possibly this weekend!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1694 on: March 14, 2018, 05:51:48 AM »
Heading up to the park right now, hard to believe after two years of documenting the construction process I am finally getting to ride this thing. Pretty stoked! ;D I am loving all the footage that came out from the media event yesterday. I will post my review later on.

If anyone else is on site today, I will be in a red media shirt with some camera gear. Feel free to say hi.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:54:37 AM by sdcfan88 »