Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511988 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1470 on: December 15, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
From what I saw and understood it will work in almost the same way as disc brakes do on a car. But instead of metallic/ceramic pads coming in contact with a metal disk rotor there will be magnetic blocks positioned on either side of a metal ring at the base of the carriage that will be activated to control the system via a speed sensor if it starts to reach a certain rotational speed.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:51:53 PM by sdcfan88 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: December 15, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »
From what I saw and understood it will work in almost the same way as disc brakes do on a car. But instead of metallic/ceramic pads coming in contact with a metal disk rotor there will be magnetic blocks positioned on either side of a metal ring at the base of the carriage that will be activated to control the system via a speed sensor if it starts to reach a certain rotational speed.

Nice....I thought I saw or read it would be magnetic controlled.  Hopefully the plate can make it smooth slow down without the feeling of 'breaking' the spin.  That is some pretty amazing technology.

Are the the launches magnetic or hydraulics?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: December 15, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
Sorry guys, you're mistaken.  I can understand the confusion because SDC hasn't fully explained and the animation on it was particularly bad on that aspect.  But you're a bit confused on how this works when it comes to the rotating.

This is a gravity/ physics spin, with the spinning starting/ caused in the same way as on other spinning coasters.  The "control" is on how fast it can spin, not on direction or when/ where it starts.  It won't spin on the drop because there aren't any forces changing direction from side to side which is what causes the spin.  That's why it will start on the turns.  But it isn't going to be a rapid/ fast spin because they have "brakes" that limit how fast it will rotate.

I would imagine that, like other spinning coasters, it's a separate mechanism on it that straightens out the cars when they get back to the station.

I understand that spin probably will not start until the first curve and that the operators will not  have any real control of the spin.  It all depends on the environment factors how it spins (passenger weight distribution, drag, wind, wheel ware, train speed, etc) but with the previous statements it did sound like Mack was doing something different with this one to help insure it doesn't 'over spin'.  It does afterall have the most intense spinning coaster design of all time.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: December 16, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
Since we are still parsing about the spinning, here I go.

This past Summer theKids and I rode three spinners.

The first one was at SFST (the name escapes me) It was fun TILL the end where you can stay still and constantly spin. It basically becomes a teacup while waiting to unload. My Son's favorite toy was a sit and spin so he is down with that, my Daughter and I aren't keen on that one bit.

The second one is the Mardi Gras themed one at STSF, this is the spinning wild mouse, meh

The third one was Laff Track at Hershey, an enclosed semidark one where you spun but not like a tilt a whirl. It was great fun and reusable even for the girl and I, it was also the longest wait in the park and very popular.
If this turns out like Laff Track on the type of spinning it's a winner.

I still wish this had a mid course show sceen as it was obvious it could have been done and the dive feature at the drop.

SDC need a dive coaster and a drop track coaster. The new Gerstlauer Hang Time  at Knotts looks interesting but the B&M at Busch Gardens was darn fun.

Our trip this summer had Laff Track and Verbolten on top as the most rode coasters.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1474 on: December 17, 2017, 08:28:42 PM »
New testing photos! Photo Credit: ytterbiumanalyst on Theme Park Review http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162&start=5420

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: December 17, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
Awesome!!!!  Guess it made it around the course...lol

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: December 18, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
In that first photo, it almost looks like they've got actual people in the back car...

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: December 18, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
In that first photo, it almost looks like they've got actual people in the back car...

It does doesn't it. If not they have some crash test dummies holding on tight. :) It also looks like the next to the rear car is starting to spin out of the station.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
IMHO. I still think the spin is going to start at the launch, not at the first "turn"   .  I am pretty sure the spin, speed of spin, and the braking---ALL will be controlled by the magnetic braking system. 
OR at the very least the spin will be started mechanically...

"time" will show us all how it works, AND I am not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone about this.

Just my thoughts, and what (I think) I understand about this system

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: December 18, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
IMHO. I still think the spin is going to start at the launch, not at the first "turn"   .  I am pretty sure the spin, speed of spin, and the braking---ALL will be controlled by the magnetic braking system. 

"time" will show us all how it works, AND I am not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone about this.

It's not a contest....we are all just speculating....for fun.

I'm guessing (could be wrong) the spin can be started, slowed down, and stopped....which just ups my curiosity of how and when it can be done.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: December 18, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »

I think it will start initially out of the station also,If the cars are unlocked and free to spin? They have to be locked for loading and unloading in a standard position.  Probably as they come back into the station they will rotate to a fixed locked position for load/unload.  When the car is dispatched then it will be free to spin. Weight distribution, speed of dispatch will all determine if there is a initial spin.
The one thing I have heard that is absurd though,is that operators might manually start the spin as the train leaves the station. Do you realize how many safety standards this would violate ?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1481 on: December 18, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »

That's because they are! I guess testing is going really well, because several people have told me they've already seen actual riders.

Brad Thomas made it pretty clear that the spinning is merely governed by the mag disk. It is not induced at any point except by the forces of the train going through the curves. From what I've seen of the videos, the cars are still turning as they pull into the unloading area. I assume they have something there to stop them and hold them in place while people get off. The cars seem to be free to spin from the moment they leave the station, but other than a slight wobble there's nothing to really make them start turning until they hit the base of the dive loop.

I've seen some discussion on the drop. Some are reporting that the drop is pretty heavily trimmed (meaning braked) so that only the back cars actually experience the full drop. The official video looked like it had some trimming to me, but not a lot. That might be something they are still adjusting and we'll just have to see what it's like on opening day.

I've probably posted about this before, but I think this ride is going to fall into a weird place for a lot of people. It doesn't seem like it will really be as crazy as it looks or sounds, but good luck getting anyone on it that isn't a thrill junkie. There's going to be a lot of people writing it off as too intense while others are disappointed at how little intensity it actually has. Most people will appreciate that it is really fun though, I'm sure. I'm certainly glad they didn't go all out with the thrill factor because we have Outlaw for that and most of us can only take a couple laps of that at a time.

We'll see what it really feels like though. Only 85 days!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:06:19 PM by shavethewhales »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1482 on: December 19, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
^ What Shave said.  lol

The drop out of the station is going to be interesting.  I wonder though if it's that it's trimmed so much as "held back" some while it's still in the station until it clears a certain point.  Maybe to prevent it from moving quickly while close to people waiting for the ride? (not that it should be an issue since launched coasters do that...)  I already figured though it you really want to experience the drop you'll want to be near the back of the train.

and good thoughts on the "thrill vs. intensity" debate i think many will have with it.  I'm looking forward to it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: December 19, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »
I saw a video someobody posted of a test run.  The train was full of riders.  I assume employees.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1484 on: December 20, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
I saw a video someobody posted of a test run.  The train was full of riders.  I assume employees.

Not park employees. Not yet.  More than likely people from Mack and the construction/ assembly crews that built the ride.  Traditionally they are given the first rides after the initial test runs are successful.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.