Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 515723 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1455 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
Another photo

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 11, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
I love the way the tarps have the Time Traveler logo on them..  LOL>.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:50:09 PM by sanddunerider »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 11, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
Found some interesting markings on Valley Road near Flooded Mine.  Thoughts?
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/11/mystery-markers-sdc.html

Hard to guess what is going on....could just be markings for basic utility maintenance.  Or running utilities for new or planned to be moved buildings.

Even at this point with TT....I still think about my fantasy theme/building of this ride by connecting the new ride with the Flooded Mine storyline.  Theming it as a whimsical adventure around the FL inmates making a break for it through the Ozark hills only to fail at the end.  Almost a "o brother, where art thou" and FiTH vibe.  It is also complimentary to the Outlaw Run theme.  It's probably not a good theme to be mass marketed but it could have been fun for SDC fans and keep pressure on the park to keep up FL.   Not sure if any two major rides at any theme park have connected themes/storylines like that and could have been unique anyway.

but yeah....TT is looking great.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1458 on: December 13, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »
So they have actually gone ahead and started testing already it seems. Shared their video on FB.

Looks like it works.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1459 on: December 14, 2017, 12:16:46 AM »
That was quick! Here is the link on their Facebook page for those interested:
https://www.facebook.com/Silverdollarcity/videos/10155932007547603/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXmX5cwD0mU
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:51:04 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
Was hoping for a close up of car, when they started doing the testing and showing off the product..

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 14, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Can't help but notice it is not spinning.  I want to learn how that is controlled and if either the riders or operators will be able to start a spin out of the station.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:30:28 AM by HumphreyHawk »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »
Was hoping for a close up of car, when they started doing the testing and showing off the product..

I saw that but they don't show the actual cars long enough to see them spinning to see how fast they will spin.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: December 14, 2017, 05:32:43 PM »
If you notice the seat backs are all strapped forward for the first test runs. 

I am sure at this initial stage of testing, They are just happy with it launching and going all the way around the track ;D ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1464 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:47 PM »
Can't help but notice it is not spinning.  I want to learn how that is controlled and if either the riders or operators will be able to start a spin out of the station.

Just like other spinning coasters, the spin comes from centrifugal force as the cars whip around turns. They aren't going to spin rolling out of the station. It's not like a teacup ride where you can twist the car around. I'm starting to predict that some will actually be disappointed by how little it actually spins, but who knows. There's probably a few good moments of spin buried in there.

I don't think it's strapped forward sanddune, I think that's just how the test dummies are tied in. They aren't showing off how it performs through the turns yet, but I'm sure they'll be dropping more and more videos until March.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 15, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »

[/quote]
I don't think it's strapped forward sanddune, I think that's just how the test dummies are tied in. They aren't showing off how it performs through the turns yet, but I'm sure they'll be dropping more and more videos until March.
[/quote]

OK> I see that now.. That makes more sense..

As far as spin, I would guess/assume that that can be turned off if not wanting to be used..  probably just a hydraulic valve or possible a locking mechanism.     I would expect them to do runs first, then start on the spining cars and the timing of that part of ride.. (maybe not).

All of the video showing off the rie show the cars spinning out of the launch...  UNLESS shave is right, possibly the employees spin the car by hand as the train launches....

"Time" will tell :o :o

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1466 on: December 15, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »

As far as spin, I would guess/assume that that can be turned off if not wanting to be used..  probably just a hydraulic valve or possible a locking mechanism.     I would expect them to do runs first, then start on the spining cars and the timing of that part of ride.. (maybe not).

All of the video showing off the rie show the cars spinning out of the launch...  UNLESS shave is right, possibly the employees spin the car by hand as the train launches....

That's one of the major problems with the animation video- it's very inaccurate in how it shows the spinning.

From what they've said, you can't "turn off" the spin.  They have it regulated so it won't spin fast, but it will rotate.  But that's going to happen based on how the weight of the riders is distributed in the cars, and it won't start until it hits a turn because that's when the weight will affect how the car goes through the turn.  Coming straight out of the station it won't have any affect, so the cars won't be spinning on the first drop.

"You canna' change the laws of physics, Jim."  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 15, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

That's one of the major problems with the animation video- it's very inaccurate in how it shows the spinning.

From what they've said, you can't "turn off" the spin.  They have it regulated so it won't spin fast, but it will rotate.  But that's going to happen based on how the weight of the riders is distributed in the cars, and it won't start until it hits a turn because that's when the weight will affect how the car goes through the turn.  Coming straight out of the station it won't have any affect, so the cars won't be spinning on the first drop.

"You canna' change the laws of physics, Jim."  :-)

I assume the spin is physically stopped at the end of the ride....either by operators or mechanically.  I've never actually have rode a spinner before. 

Keep an eye out for how my trash cans they setup by the exit.

I remember during the announcement that they talked about having some tech to 'govern' the spin.  So it wouldn't surprise me at all if they could control if the spin is completely on or off.  I'd love to ride it locked forward backward and sideways all the way.

I am wondering if the ride operator will be able to give the car a kick before clearing the station (probably not).

Plus....if we don't like it....we can just use it to go back in time and fix it...lol

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1468 on: December 15, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »
With the magnetic control, I would imagine the turn begins when the vehicle leaves the station and on its way down the first hill.  I have to assume very little will be left to gravity.  From everything that has been released, this will not be a "natural" spin, but a controlled one.  Stopping will be very similar, but in reverse.  The cars will likely stop turning when they reach the level portion of the track circling back into the station.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1469 on: December 15, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »
Sorry guys, you're mistaken.  I can understand the confusion because SDC hasn't fully explained and the animation on it was particularly bad on that aspect.  But you're a bit confused on how this works when it comes to the rotating.

This is a gravity/ physics spin, with the spinning starting/ caused in the same way as on other spinning coasters.  The "control" is on how fast it can spin, not on direction or when/ where it starts.  It won't spin on the drop because there aren't any forces changing direction from side to side which is what causes the spin.  That's why it will start on the turns.  But it isn't going to be a rapid/ fast spin because they have "brakes" that limit how fast it will rotate.

I would imagine that, like other spinning coasters, it's a separate mechanism on it that straightens out the cars when they get back to the station.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.