Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511859 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1365 on: September 13, 2017, 11:09:43 PM »
Carr Excavating shared more photos today.  I got to admit, the retaining walls really class up the look of this ride

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/09/time-traveler-construction-sdc_13.html

Two Thoughts

Hope they put caps on them.

Hope they use a concrete stain to knock the gray out and blend it better with the natural landscape.

This particular style of retaining wall does not use "caps". You can see a photo in that update of a completed section to get an idea on what the finished product will look like. 

Stain is not needed.  They will naturally age over time
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1366 on: September 14, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »
Awesome pics

Thought as I was viewing them.....has the park every had any issues with wildlife around the rides?  I'd assume the fencing would keep out the larger creatures (deer, humans).  But Id hate to think about what might happen to a random squirrel.

There have certainly been times where animals have come into the park and affected the rides.  it's rare, but it does happen.

Had a bobcat around the train station one morning when I was cleaning that slowed me up a bit (still opened on time)
Know of a time they found a kitten inside of Electro Spin that closed it down for a while.
At least a couple of times they had deer jump into the Lost River and had to shut it down in order to get them out.
Train has hit a couple of animals, like groundhogs, that crossed the tracks (I'll spare you the details on that)

so it's not unheard of for some of the wildlife to occasionally affect the rides and operations.  Though with TT being where it is by Echo Hollow and the road, I think it's much less likely there than on the other side of the park closer to the woods.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 17, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
So I'll be the first to say it.  I hate the color of the station.  I hope that's not the finished product. 

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/09/time-traveler-construction-sdc_16.html

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1368 on: September 17, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
Yeah, what an ugly bland color scheme for such a bold new ride. Not sure what the thought process was here, especially after they tested a completely different paint scheme. Something about dirt showing maybe? That's always why people move away from white paint jobs.  ::)

As long as they add lots of cool aesthetic details around an on the station, it won't matter too much. It does just look very suburban though...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 17, 2017, 05:09:43 PM »
Yeah, what an ugly bland color scheme for such a bold new ride. Not sure what the thought process was here, especially after they tested a completely different paint scheme. Something about dirt showing maybe? That's always why people move away from white paint jobs.  ::)

As long as they add lots of cool aesthetic details around an on the station, it won't matter too much. It does just look very suburban though...

It looks like Voyage's station now.  That's not a good thing
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 17, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »
So I'll be the first to say it.  I hate the color of the station.  I hope that's not the finished product. 

I guess I expected more of a brown/earthtone color for some reason..... BUT lots of time left ofr additional changes....... 

LOL, maybe the greenish color is the primer coat ::)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1371 on: September 17, 2017, 07:25:48 PM »

I guess I expected more of a brown/earthtone color for some reason..... BUT lots of time left ofr additional changes....... 

LOL, maybe the greenish color is the primer coat ::)

Kinda turned off by the aesthetic developments too. One can only hope its just primer but I fear its not. Just looked at the simulation again and its spot on to the final color.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:27:20 PM by sdcfan88 »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #1372 on: September 17, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
I actually like the look of the station. I just hope they paint the railing of the exit platform because the plain wood doesn't look good against the gray/white station. Either way, the look of the station really doesn't matter. The people who care what the station looks like will go to the park anyway, and others only care about the ride. I'm sure we'll see a lot of theming inside the station where people will actually spend time waiting.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 17, 2017, 08:12:03 PM »
I am not one to be discussing colors on account of being color blind, but I think it looks nice.
Colorado SDC Fan

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 17, 2017, 09:49:44 PM »

Yup, all that gorgeous cedar covered up.  *sadness*

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1375 on: September 17, 2017, 10:40:25 PM »
I actually like the look of the station. I just hope they paint the railing of the exit platform because the plain wood doesn't look good against the gray/white station. Either way, the look of the station really doesn't matter. The people who care what the station looks like will go to the park anyway, and others only care about the ride. I'm sure we'll see a lot of theming inside the station where people will actually spend time waiting.

I am just hoping they wont cheap out on the theming. Kinda worried they spent all the money on the ride itself, granted its probably still too early but I was kinda hoping they would have elaborated a bit more in terms of how well it will be themed during the unveiling. That huge multi-story building has to be for something more than a station and queue line but the simulation depicting it looked kinda bland. I would love to see something interactive in the queue or some kind of show segment in the likes of Baron 1898 or Blue Fire. I will be happy and settle if its at least themed inside the building on the same level as Wildfire. It is unfortunate most of Wildfire's stuff gets overlooked since there's never a line for it now but I used to love reading all the schematics and such on the walls.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:12:25 AM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 18, 2017, 07:21:25 AM »

[/quote]

Yup, all that gorgeous cedar covered up.  *sadness*
[/quote]

The cedar did look great and I though would match the area nicely...

Do you suppose the Greenish paint is supposed to match the trees and growth to blend in?

I still expect to see lots of theming at least on the west side of building, and the interior..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 18, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
As is - I don't find it very inviting as you would walk down the steps to the queue building entrance.  I also am not a fan of the exit bridge being so readily visible from the entrance queue line stairs.
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 18, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »
As is - I don't find it very inviting as you would walk down the steps to the queue building entrance.  I also am not a fan of the exit bridge being so readily visible from the entrance queue line stairs.

Hopefully it all comes together well, but I'm not a big fan yet either. Things that I'm not big on:
1. The color (same as everyone else).
2. The return track, turn around, and transfer track all in front of the station (it's too bad these tracks couldn't have entered into the side of the building somehow leaving the front intact - the front would have looked really nice if it could have looked like the side of the station that faces Echo Hollow).
3. The exit bridge having so much exposed steel (hopefully this gets some kind of wood wrap).
4. For a twisting, spinning, crazy coaster.....once the ride is complete and trees filled in, will the only part visible from the park be the brake run and turn around? Are they building an observation deck?

Jay

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:29:00 PM by cowboy »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 18, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
Wow I just looked at this just now. No, No, No, It looks like some kind of seaside planned resort community. Welcome to The Truman Show.  ;D