Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 512091 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1290 on: August 20, 2017, 10:04:19 AM »
As we have talked about before, there's plenty of new tech that could make FITH and FM brand new while still using the same theming. Maybe a bit shortened show area while keeping he best bits and the drop track coaster at the bridge and lsm launch into a dark section that's a bit more than what we have now.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 20, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »
Off topic a bit, I will chime in and say there apparently will be big changes to the SDC classics over the next 5 years from what me and Shave heard while at the media event. One being major changes to Flooded Mine come next year as more of the structure is coming down. People might or might not be happy with the coming changes.

More to be elaborated on in the future development thread later on.

Sounds like we are starting the " I know something you dont know " game again.  This ALWAYS ends up going well.......

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1292 on: August 20, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
Off topic a bit, I will chime in and say there apparently will be big changes to the SDC classics over the next 5 years from what me and Shave heard while at the media event. One being major changes to Flooded Mine come next year as more of the structure is coming down. People might or might not be happy with the coming changes.

More to be elaborated on in the future development thread later on.

Sounds like we are starting the " I know something you dont know " game again.  This ALWAYS ends up going well.......

Indeed.   ::)
Fact of the mater is that FM's fate seems to change by the week. The only change that'll probably happen for sure is that the rock slide tower is coming down due to major wood rot and structural instability. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 20, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Fact of the mater is that FM's fate seems to change by the week. The only change that'll probably happen for sure is that the rock slide tower is coming down due to major wood rot and structural instability.

Well, it would upset me if the rocks still fell but I don't think it will take much to offset that removal.  Esthetics and theming aside.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 20, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »

Well, it would upset me if the rocks still fell but I don't think it will take much to offset that removal.  Esthetics and theming aside.

I was looking at that on my last trip and thought it looked in really bad shape. I loved the old rock slide when I was a kid. It would probably seem hokey now. I just hope for some refurbishment and love to the old gal.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1295 on: August 21, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »
I can certainly understand wishing they'd gone with something else. I'd love nothing more than a Mack hyper running down the valley beyond Outlaw Run. Unfortunately, if they had gone with a hyper/giga, it would just be SDC's version of Mamba in the minds of the GP and it wouldn't have anywhere near the media pull that TT will have. Like it or not, parks survive by pulling in a fickle crowd with whatever gimmicks they can dangle in front of them to get their attention. Even if the spinning aspect turns out to suck, the gimmick is pure gold for the first few years. Then they could look at getting different trains if it really did turn out to be unpopular.

Again though, I think it will be super fun. There will still be some people who can only ride it once, or who ride it once and never want to again, but that's just like Outlaw Run - which many enthusiasts have at the top of their lists. I expect it to have some intensity, and that's a good thing. Mack knows what they are doing and I trust them to do a good job.

Not saying anyone should heap praise on SDC just yet, or that they are free of criticism, but they do deserve a chance. They are plopping down $26 million on this thing and spending two years building it, so I think they have a good idea of what they are doing.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 22, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »
I'll reserve my judgement until I ride. In general though, I'm not "I have to get there opening day" excited like I was for Outlaw Run. I like spinning coasters, I'm just a little cautious about this one because of all the action it does while spinning.

The reaction in my group of family and friends is mixed from "super excited" (crying at the announcement) to "not interested". With the younger generation being the ones who are super excited...

But no matter, I'm always looking forward to a trip to SDC. They could have built a Larson Super Loop and called it a roller coaster and I'd be there with my season pass in hand.

Jay

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »
I'll reserve my judgement until I ride. In general though, I'm not "I have to get there opening day" excited like I was for Outlaw Run. I like spinning coasters, I'm just a little cautious about this one because of all the action it does while spinning.

The reaction in my group of family and friends is mixed from "super excited" (crying at the announcement) to "not interested". With the younger generation being the ones who are super excited...

But no matter, I'm always looking forward to a trip to SDC. They could have built a Larson Super Loop and called it a roller coaster and I'd be there with my season pass in hand.

Jay

Super Loops are certainly en vogue these days especially with a certain chain.

I would hope for a major Pro Slide addition to White Water next year. It needs major love or replacement altogether.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 22, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »

Jay

I would hope for a major Pro Slide addition to White Water next year. It needs major love or replacement altogether.

Don't look now, but Cedar Fair got into the act this coming year as they are adding one to Valleyfair.

I looks for SDC to ride out TT for 2019 -- a "Still New in 2019" kind of thing.  If anything, a small ride addition back in Grand Expo.  Still sounds like the insect and frogs will be moving this off season to HDH.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 22, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »

Jay

Don't look now, but Cedar Fair got into the act this coming year as they are adding one to Valleyfair.

I looks for SDC to ride out TT for 2019 -- a "Still New in 2019" kind of thing.  If anything, a small ride addition back in Grand Expo.  Still sounds like the insect and frogs will be moving this off season to HDH.

The relocation of those kiddie rides to Half Dollar Holler is a smart move. It needs a bit more to "hold" people.

It will make a centrally located area for a Mom to keep the little ones while older ones and Dad hit the big stuff.

Wonder what type of ride SDC could put down in that area if it is available.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 22, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »

[/quote] Still sounds like the insect and frogs will be moving this off season to HDH.
[/quote]

The relocation of those kiddie rides to Half Dollar Holler is a smart move. It needs a bit more to "hold" people.

It will make a centrally located area for a Mom to keep the little ones while older ones and Dad hit the big stuff.

[/quote]

I think the PTB would be smart moving 2 or 3 popular kiddie rides to HDH.. I dont think it has the "draw" they were expecting too...  And if they could get add some popular rides that would split the kids up between 3 areas...

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 22, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »

Still sounds like the insect and frogs will be moving this off season to HDH.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the PTB would be smart moving 2 or 3 popular kiddie rides to HDH.. I dont think it has the "draw" they were expecting too...  And if they could get add some popular rides that would split the kids up between 3 areas...
[/quote]

Personally I think they should add bull themed bumper cars and call it Stockyard Rampage and a wagon wheel  themed ferris wheel  round out the Outlaw Run area.

Not sexy but adds some minor attractions and fills out the area.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
Personally I think they should add bull themed bumper cars and call it Stockyard Rampage and a wagon wheel  themed ferris wheel  round out the Outlaw Run area.

Flight of Fantasy and Happy Frogs should move to HDH.  Flight would go back under swinging bridge.  Frogs would go where the amphitheater is currently.  Beetles could go up to Wilson's Farm and can be placed across from High Low Silo. 

Regarding the two ride suggestions - the Ferris wheel gets a "no" from me.  It's too cartoony to fit in at SDC.  I think the bumper cars could work, but instead of bison they need to be cattle.  The building could go in the Outlaw Run area.  There's probably room where the drink stand is located as the train track starts curving away before that. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:18:31 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 23, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »

Still sounds like the insect and frogs will be moving this off season to HDH.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Flight of Fantasy and Happy Frogs should move to HDH.  Flight would go back under swinging bridge.  Frogs would go where the amphitheater is currently.  Beetles could go up to Wilson's Farm and can be placed across from High Low Silo. 

Regarding the two ride suggestions - the Ferris wheel gets a "no" from me.  It's too cartoony to fit in at SDC.  I think the bumper cars could work, but instead of bison they need to be cattle.  The building could go in the Outlaw Run area.  There's probably room where the drink stand is located as the train track starts curving away before that.
[/quote]

The original  concept art had the minI wave swing in Wilson's Farm about where the frog race thingy is.
I'D settle for  one  out of two on the cars and wheel. But i'D like to see two kiddie version and regular version under the same roof with queues at different ends.

Lets Get Thomas on the phone pronto.

I still think SDC needs a token ferris wheel somewhere.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 23, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »
I still think SDC needs a token ferris wheel somewhere.

If they add one it will need to be in the Grand Expo.  I guess it could go where the kiddie insect rides were located.  I would like it stay true to the "theme" though and not be a modern or Eli Bridge style. 
SWOOSH