Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511758 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1260 on: August 17, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
you guys....(swoosh, shave, sdcfan88),  great pics from all of you.!.  thanks.   

I really like the POV they gave you at the building... ;D

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 17, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
From the USA Today article
According to Brad Thomas, president of Silver Dollar City Attractions, the indoor queue and load station will showcase the story of Charles Henry, a turn-of-the-century clockmaker and inventor who resides in Silver Dollar City and is captivated by the science fiction tales of Jules Verne. Gears, cogs, and other steampunk flourishes will adorn the building.
"The first level tells the story of Mr. Henry's time-keeping creations," says Thomas. "However, the second and third levels start revealing Charles' big dream of creating a contraption capable of time travel."

http://amp.usatoday.com/story/573610001/

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 17, 2017, 12:17:45 PM »
The least talked about aspect of this ride is the drop  and the fact that half the folks will do it backwards.

Also what type of Mack will Dollywood will be getting 2019

Herchend buys in twos for the two big parks The only thing to throw that off was the recession and Celebration city (GCI and Gerstlauer)

Everyone must realize the next big addition has likely been bought simply because of the lead time needed

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1263 on: August 17, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Forgot to post the link to photos of the station and boardwalk
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/08/time-traveler-station-construction-sdc.html

Also - confirmed that Poke Salad Mary's is staying

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:41:52 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 17, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
Forgot to post the link to photos of the station and boardwalk
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/08/time-traveler-station-construction-sdc.html

Also - confirmed that Poke Salad Mary's is staying

Good pics swoosh,  i had been wondering about switch track.. kept waiting for somebody to explain it...  LOL.  guess we will figure it out later.... ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1265 on: August 17, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »
From the USA Today article
According to Brad Thomas, president of Silver Dollar City Attractions, the indoor queue and load station will showcase the story of Charles Henry, a turn-of-the-century clockmaker and inventor who resides in Silver Dollar City and is captivated by the science fiction tales of Jules Verne. Gears, cogs, and other steampunk flourishes will adorn the building.
"The first level tells the story of Mr. Henry's time-keeping creations," says Thomas. "However, the second and third levels start revealing Charles' big dream of creating a contraption capable of time travel."

http://amp.usatoday.com/story/573610001/

Ahh, this is the kind of detail I was looking for. Thanks for pointing it out. Wish they had made more of an emphasis about this in the actual announcement, but I guess most people don't care as much about it as some of us do.

As for why the didn't do any of the covered sections/tunnels/whatever, I think a lot of it probably came down to how difficult it would be to build. This coaster is so tightly wound through that little gully, and half their budget already is probably excavation and stabilization. A covering or something over the launch sections could have been cool and probably useful for when it rains, but it's whatever. As long as the station is cool, it'll be like a smaller wildfire.

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
I was hoping the massive building/cue structure was going to be at least partially a show house with some ride through visual effect (i.e disneyesque).  But it looks like its just a big cue line. 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1267 on: August 17, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »
Has everyone seen the 360 video?  You might want to go over this one with a fine-toothed comb.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cmzz2gBeA
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 17, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
something else that hasnt been mentioned yet...  why is the center area in this picture so open? is the next upper or lower floor the same?  Why?   maybe a big display/statue or steampunk artwork that stand 15-20 feet tall?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 17, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »
Has everyone seen the 360 video?  You might want to go over this one with a fine-toothed comb.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cmzz2gBeA

Yep we saw it with VR headsets at the media event.  It was pretty cool. 
SWOOSH

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 17, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
Wow....My new topic got locked out.....just thought it might be easier to start a new thread than trying to read through so many pages on park developments.

Pro tip. Just go to the last page of the topic and go back a page or two to the last time you looked. It's pretty easy.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 17, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
Thanks all for posting updates. I personally have mixed feelings about this.
1. I thought I would be okay with the spinning, until i watched the pov video. Amyone saying it isnt a lot of spinning is fooling themselves. (10,000 is still a lot, even if it isnt 20,000.) I think i will be ok, but I totally agree with those concerned and dont blame anyone for being bummed they wont be able to ride. Going backward can be fun at times, though.
2. I am totaly unimpressed with this theme. I have no idea why steampunk is so big but it is repulsive to me. This theme is not 1880s Ozarks, late 1880s Chicago or new york maybe. As swoosh said everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if people like this theme im happy for them, but I do not feel like it is anything like SDC. Being set in history alone doesnt make it SDC. It is not appealing or enduring. Just throw a bunch of clocks together. Wildfire is steampunk enough for me...ugh.
3. Combine 2 with what others fear is a lack of themeing leads me to believe the PTB just dont care or dont get it. Seems haphazardly thrown together and unimpressive. I will wait for my final analysis on #3 until I see it, but I will never like time traveler as a concept or this steampunk route. Just like grand exposition,  not for me.

Because of the above I really dont think I will care much for this ride or become attached to it. I will spend most of my riding time on FITH, Flooded Mine, Thunderation, Powderkeg, Lost River, the Train, and OR to a lesser extent while wondering why they wont fix up or redo AP or fix up FItH or make Thunderation smoother.
I will spend more time in the shops or saloon show, grandfathers mansion or a theatre. If this ride takes up some crowd then great. If it makes the SP price go up ill probably scale back to one visit a year, if the route they wanna go is away from die hard loyalists like me and toward coaster chasers with no soul invovled that is entirely up to them and my visists will reflect that. (Not saying its what they are doing for sure, just speaking generally and in 'what ifs').
I will ride it next year and give it a chance, but aint gettin my hopes up. Im more excited that they fixed up FM.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 17, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »
1. I thought I would be okay with the spinning, until i watched the pov video. Amyone saying it isnt a lot of spinning is fooling themselves. (10,000 is still a lot, even if it isnt 20,000.) I think i will be ok, but I totally agree with those concerned and dont blame anyone for being bummed they wont be able to ride. Going backward can be fun at times, though.
2. I am totaly unimpressed with this theme. I have no idea why steampunk is so big but it is repulsive to me. This theme is not 1880s Ozarks, late 1880s Chicago or new york maybe. As swoosh said everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if people like this theme im happy for them, but I do not feel like it is anything like SDC. Being set in history alone doesnt make it SDC. It is not appealing or enduring. Just throw a bunch of clocks together. Wildfire is steampunk enough for me...ugh.
3. Combine 2 with what others fear is a lack of themeing leads me to believe the PTB just dont care or dont get it. Seems haphazardly thrown together and unimpressive. I will wait for my final analysis on #3 until I see it, but I will never like time traveler as a concept or this steampunk route. Just like grand exposition,  not for me.

Because of the above I really dont think I will care much for this ride or become attached to it. I will spend most of my riding time on FITH, Flooded Mine, Thunderation, Powderkeg, Lost River, the Train, and OR to a lesser extent while wondering why they wont fix up or redo AP or fix up FItH or make Thunderation smoother.
I will spend more time in the shops or saloon show, grandfathers mansion or a theatre. If this ride takes up some crowd then great. If it makes the SP price go up ill probably scale back to one visit a year, if the route they wanna go is away from die hard loyalists like me and toward coaster chasers with no soul invovled that is entirely up to them and my visists will reflect that. (Not saying its what they are doing for sure, just speaking generally and in 'what ifs').
I will ride it next year and give it a chance, but aint gettin my hopes up. Im more excited that they fixed up FM.

1. Brad really hit the point of it being a controlled spinning Hard yesterday.  He even went as far as saying that the magnets would clamp hard if the sensors detect the carts spinning too much.  He personally thought the test car on Collossus was too much and that's why Mack developed this particular set up. 

2. Believe it or not, the theme is NOT steampunk.  The character is actually a clock connoisseur and has stumbled on a way to bend time.  I guess years of studying and measuring time came to this break through.  So basically he's a clock maker and historian. 

3.  The station is going to be very impressive.  BUT I'll let the park reveal those details as they're the ones paying for it - not my place.
SWOOSH

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 17, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »

1. Brad really hit the point of it being a controlled spinning Hard yesterday.  He even went as far as saying that the magnets would clamp hard if the sensors detect the carts spinning too much.  He personally thought the test car on Collossus was too much and that's why Mack developed this particular set up. 

2. Believe it or not, the theme is NOT steampunk.  The character is actually a clock connoisseur and has stumbled on a way to bend time.  I guess years of studying and measuring time came to this break through.  So basically he's a clock maker and historian. 

3.  The station is going to be very impressive.  BUT I'll let the park reveal those details as they're the ones paying for it - not my place.
While I am VERY glad to hear the things I read about Steampunk are false, Im still underwhelmed with the theme, but at least am willing to give it a chance. That building and overall entrance does look massive and could lead to some good themeing. Hope there is some unepected theming on the ride.
My spin comments were based on that video i watched. At times there was some serious spinning. Just a video I realize, but just because its less spin than others doesnt mean it wont still be too much for a lot of people.
I guess we will just have to wait til it opens. Will be here before we know it.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 17, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »
You have to remember that nothing like this has ever been done before so the person who created the preview video had to go off past knowledge. 
SWOOSH