Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511779 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1245 on: August 16, 2017, 08:54:51 PM »
My wife and I probably won't care for this coaster much.  All the spinning coupled with inversions is specifically meant for a younger thrill ride enthusiast crowd.  But that is fine with us if this ride will at least draw some of the crowd away from Powder Keg, FITH, Wildfire area in the coming years.

Outlaw Run will be an old west ghost town in the future. It's already the easiest ride to get on in the city. I assume that's because it has gotten so rough. My wife and I will only ride in one of the first two rows nowadays and usually only once per visit.  This could be good for getting on the Swing as well.

Gonna suck for the Thunderation/Flooded Mine/Train area for awhile though.

The teenagers should love Time Traveler. Gonna be a lot of screamers on that one for sure.

I am afraid this will mean increased season pass cost, and major increased crowds making it an unpleasant experience all the time.

Yea the increased crowds will be there for this ride during Spring Ride Days, about any Saturday, and through the summer, but we can still find many mornings through any year to visit the city and enjoy some riding and walking around without the place being unpleasantly crazy.  Things picked up somewhat during the year of the Outlaw Run debut, but it was still tolerable on many days. I expect the same with this new addition.

I guess that's the advantage of being locals, it's easy for us to choose any given Sunday morning for a 5 hour visit to the city, and even some Saturdays now and then aren't too busy.  For instance, this coming weekend there is no festival, the kiddos and teachers are back in school, we're in a gap between summer and fall, so Sunday morning would likely be a great time for a visit.   

We are about 2.5-3 hours away and we run up early Sunday mornings till about 2-3 then head back sometimes.  We are actually coming up this Saturday and Sunday before heading up to watch the eclipse Monday.  I was originally going to swing by for a few hours Sunday on the way up but looked at hotel rooms for Saturday and they were very cheap, so decided to come Saturday too.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: August 16, 2017, 09:04:16 PM »
I know this post will probably get buried with all the discussion on the new ride but for those interested, here are some photo highlights from today. Got photos and video of the ceremony and as a bonus we also got to tour the station AND the coaster itself.

FULL ALBUM FROM TODAY IS HERE

Thank you for the great photos, Josh. Would you mind sharing your impressions from the day? Interested in perspectives from you, Shave and Swoosh based on your experience. While I'm disappointed about the type of coaster announced, from someone who has followed this process since day one and watched the announcement in its entirity on Facebook today, I feel like SDC did a nice job of having their ducks in a row and making it a very thorough presentation. Many details I appreciated for sure.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 16, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
So looking at the photos above, does the train come out of the station directly below the glass bottom viewing area?  Or is that temporary?  Does it return to the station from the backside then? 

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:26 PM »
Lots of negative Nancy posts about something that hasn't even been completed yet. Judge the ride in spring and then see how it goes. If you can't ride in the back of a car without taking Dramamin, yes maybe you will not be able to handle it and that's fine. Just like being to short or to big to fit in the seat on other rides. Let it play out before assuming it will be unpopular.

Some folks won't ride wooden coaster cause they see them as too rough or though of them being less safe or some other reason. Some folks will not go upside down, some refuse because they think it's too fast and some because it's too high. If we built coasters that everyone liked(impossible) they'd suck.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1249 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Lots of negative Nancy posts about something that hasn't even been completed yet. Judge the ride in spring and then see how it goes. If you can't ride in the back of a car without taking Dramamin, yes maybe you will not be able to handle it and that's fine. Just like being to short or to big to fit in the seat on other rides. Let it play out before assuming it will be unpopular.

Some folks won't ride wooden coaster cause they see them as too rough or though of them being less safe or some other reason. Some folks will not go upside down, some refuse because they think it's too fast and some because it's too high. If we built coasters that everyone liked(impossible) they'd suck.

I agree with both of these posts, lol.  ;)

Some people need to think back to their first ever big coaster ride and all the fear and trepidation that gave way to shear joy when you finally let loose and learned to enjoy it rather than being scared. A little rotation added to a basic looping coaster isn't going to do much more to make you nauseous than the non-spinning version would.

I'm too tired to go back through all the posts now, but to clear up a little of the confusion I've seen:
 - The little building is just for holding launch equipment. There are no tunnels, show buildings, or apparently any kind of basic theming along the track.
- The plexiglass thing that we were taking photos in front of is temporary and just for today. They setup a bunch of temporary walkways for us so we could wander the station easier.
- The entrance is at the bottom of the building. Most of the queue hasn't been built yet outside, but it will come down the hillside from the old TNT arch.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #1250 on: August 16, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »
Everyone is worried about each car spinning, but I feel if it truly becomes an issue to not have a no-spinning option or if people feel it spins to much that the park would stop the spinning on a car or reduce it. I think SDC will do everything they can to make sure anyone who likes coasters can ride Time Traveler.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:44:01 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

straightshooter

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 17, 2017, 12:31:17 AM »
Great pics swoosh and josh!

It was such a fun event. I loved the videos they featured in the reveal. Classic SDC. MSU Chorale was a perfect fit.

To all of those whining about the spinning, get over it. SDC has given us an amazing attraction. Such a great day.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:36 AM »
To all of those whining about the spinning, get over it. SDC has given us an amazing attraction. Such a great day.

Tyler, they have just as much of a right to formulate their own opinions as you do, to formulate their own.  Spinning is not for everyone.  My group even had qualms about that feature. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »

Tyler, they have just as much of a right to formulate their own opinions as you do, to formulate their own.  Spinning is not for everyone.  My group even had qualms about that feature.

Agreed Swoosh, everyone has there right to opinion and concerns.   I would say just dont dwell on it too much, until next spring and we can see the final product.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 17, 2017, 09:10:09 AM »
SWOOSH

straightshooter

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 17, 2017, 09:48:38 AM »

My name certainly isn't Tyler so I'm not sure where that came from. That's cool if your group (your parents) had qualms about the spinning. I'm just pointing out that it is what it is. People complaining about something they haven't even experienced yet is ridiculous. Lastly, this: "much of a right to formulate their own opinions as you do, to formulate their own." makes absolutely no sense.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1257 on: August 17, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »
Great photos Swoosh and sdcfan88!

A lot of people are still asking questions about things like keeping one car locked down to not spin. This would not only be a terrible logistical challenge for the line, but also a horrible PR move. The spinning is the whole point. You don't tout the world's wildest spinning coaster, then slap a non-spinning car on the back because that is basically just admitting that the whole spinning thing was some kind of a mistake. Some GP would even take it as evidence that the spinning cars are too intense or even dangerous. Before long you'd have GP calling for all the cars to be locked in place and the whole point of the coaster would be lost.

I get that some people don't like rides that spin, but at this point I'd say let it go and either choose not to ride or at the very least give it a try before you whine about it being too wild for you.

I'm still digesting my total reaction to the announcement. As a coaster enthusiast, I am excited for the ride and think it will be tons of fun on it's own. As an SDC fanatic, I'm uneasy about the almost complete lack of theming shown anywhere. Unless it comes as a surprise down the road, there will be no theming or tunnels along the track like the stuff that was hinted at in the concept pitch. I'm sure the station will have lots of stuff in it, but little mention was made of anything during the announcement, and no concept art exists of the inside. They did have a little screen printed banner that looked nice, but that was the only hint so far. The back story is interesting, but completely shoots over the tongue-in-cheek nature of the rest of the park. Is this supposed to be themed to actual time travel, or just an attempt by an SDC citizen and his daughter? I suppose we'll see more as time progresses. I have faith that it will look good when completed, but you know I like to push them for good theming.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 17, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
Great photos Swoosh and sdcfan88!

A lot of people are still asking questions about things like keeping one car locked down to not spin. This would not only be a terrible logistical challenge for the line, but also a horrible PR move. The spinning is the whole point. You don't tout the world's wildest spinning coaster, then slap a non-spinning car on the back because that is basically just admitting that the whole spinning thing was some kind of a mistake. Some GP would even take it as evidence that the spinning cars are too intense or even dangerous. Before long you'd have GP calling for all the cars to be locked in place and the whole point of the coaster would be lost.

I get that some people don't like rides that spin, but at this point I'd say let it go and either choose not to ride or at the very least give it a try before you whine about it being too wild for you.

I'm still digesting my total reaction to the announcement. As a coaster enthusiast, I am excited for the ride and think it will be tons of fun on it's own. As an SDC fanatic, I'm uneasy about the almost complete lack of theming shown anywhere. Unless it comes as a surprise down the road, there will be no theming or tunnels along the track like the stuff that was hinted at in the concept pitch. I'm sure the station will have lots of stuff in it, but little mention was made of anything during the announcement, and no concept art exists of the inside. They did have a little screen printed banner that looked nice, but that was the only hint so far. The back story is interesting, but completely shoots over the tongue-in-cheek nature of the rest of the park. Is this supposed to be themed to actual time travel, or just an attempt by an SDC citizen and his daughter? I suppose we'll see more as time progresses. I have faith that it will look good when completed, but you know I like to push them for good theming.

I respectfully disagree with the thoughts on the no-spin car.  At some point the line going to have to split in 4 and you just need to label (hanging sign?) on it as the no spin line (political joke here).  The biggest logistical problem with that would be if everyone wanted to spin and the no-spin car rides empty....or vise versa.  They could even change the car daily or have multiple no-spin cars.  That being said....I completely don't expect that they will start with a no-spin car based on what they have released.  They will probably open with them all spinning.  If no spinning where to happen then that either confirms that spinners aren't popular (especially if it happens the first year) or they are trying to find a way to make the ride "fresh" again (aka...backward TnT trains).

We are going to read a lot of posts in the future about how good/bad the spinning is.

I too was extremely disappointed in the lack of theme and backstory details.  The videos don't show any at all.  Why call it time traveler if your just taking a ride through the Ozark forest.  A launch through a tunnel and a few 'historical' themes around the track would really make the ride even more unique.  Seems like a wasted opportunity.  Still hoping more details are to come about the back story....maybe just maybe they will add some last minute surprises.

It's looking like SDC is has gotten attention from the coaster fandom community....going to get some extra visitors next year....but I'm still really curious if it is going to create a big spike in season tickets from the locals/regional area?  I'm just not really convinced that the GP sees this as as big of deals as the coaster fans do.

Lastly (on this rant)....I'm the first one to call out others on how ridicules it is to be mad about how others decide to spend there money.  But....it is hard not to think about what other multiple attractions this money could have gotten....probably could have done some amazing things to fix up and improve all the classics.  But it is easy to spend others peoples money.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 17, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
Wow....My new topic got locked out.....just thought it might be easier to start a new thread than trying to read through so many pages on park developments.