Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509634 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1230 on: August 16, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
I hope we get more theming than was presented in the video. And while it won't effect me, I do think SDC will face an uphill battle in marketing to people who do not like spinning. I think the controlled spin will definitely help and the animation didn't look out of control to me. It just looks more like a turning motion than spinning. I think everyone should give it a chance before immediately shooting it down.

This looks like a great addition to the park and will offer something completely different from anything they have. I can't wait for 2018 to come to enjoy this amazing new addition. Three inversions, two launches, that first drop! Looks crazy and fun to me!

The animation doesn't show any spinning at all beyond the inversions. It just shows a traditional rider POV.

I think that was just to show the layout of the track from that perspective.  On the long shots from "outside" the train it appears it spins or rotates the whole time, right out of the station.

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
I hope we get more theming than was presented in the video. And while it won't effect me, I do think SDC will face an uphill battle in marketing to people who do not like spinning. I think the controlled spin will definitely help and the animation didn't look out of control to me. It just looks more like a turning motion than spinning. I think everyone should give it a chance before immediately shooting it down.

This looks like a great addition to the park and will offer something completely different from anything they have. I can't wait for 2018 to come to enjoy this amazing new addition. Three inversions, two launches, that first drop! Looks crazy and fun to me!

The animation doesn't show any spinning at all beyond the inversions. It just shows a traditional rider POV.

I think that was just to show the layout of the track from that perspective.  On the long shots from "outside" the train it appears it spins or rotates the whole time, right out of the station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cmzz2gBeA

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 16, 2017, 05:56:15 PM »
USA Today article. Has a bit of detail about how the backstory will progress in the station.
http://amp.usatoday.com/story/573610001/

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 16, 2017, 06:06:12 PM »
If it comes to a stop at a launch and they didn't put some kind of  show building there that is such a goober mistake. If all that building is a storage shed for unused trains orsomerhing it's like them cheaping out on the wooden tunnel after the lift on Thunderation and the the mess they left in Powder Keg at splash area after the conversion.

HikerDan

« Reply #1234 on: August 16, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »
My wife and I probably won't care for this coaster much.  All the spinning coupled with inversions is specifically meant for a younger thrill ride enthusiast crowd.  But that is fine with us if this ride will at least draw some of the crowd away from Powder Keg, FITH, Wildfire area in the coming years.

Outlaw Run will be an old west ghost town in the future. It's already the easiest ride to get on in the city. I assume that's because it has gotten so rough. My wife and I will only ride in one of the first two rows nowadays and usually only once per visit.  This could be good for getting on the Swing as well.

Gonna suck for the Thunderation/Flooded Mine/Train area for awhile though.

The teenagers should love Time Traveler. Gonna be a lot of screamers on that one for sure.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 16, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »
My wife and I probably won't care for this coaster much.  All the spinning coupled with inversions is specifically meant for a younger thrill ride enthusiast crowd.  But that is fine with us if this ride will at least draw some of the crowd away from Powder Keg, FITH, Wildfire area in the coming years.

Outlaw Run will be an old west ghost town in the future. It's already the easiest ride to get on in the city. I assume that's because it has gotten so rough. My wife and I will only ride in one of the first two rows nowadays and usually only once per visit.  This could be good for getting on the Swing as well.

The teenagers should love Time Traveler. Gonna be a lot of screamers on that one for sure.

I am afraid this will mean increased season pass cost, and major increased crowds making it an unpleasant experience all the time.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: August 16, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »

If anyone thinks the "controlled spinning" on TT is going to be more tame than this on any level, I think you're kidding yourself. I just scanned the comments from SDC's official announcement on FB and I would say at least 25-33% of the comments echo the concerns about spinning and being bummed about never getting on the ride.

I think you need to go back to the video and listen to Brad Thomas' comments about the spinning.  What you're talking about on Spinning Dragons is EXACTLY what Brad said he DOESN'T want on the coaster- free, fast spinning that can get people sick.  Much to much spinning, much to fast, and this will NOT do that.  It is a very slow rotation that has built in brake controls so that it can not spin fast.  This has no chance of getting you dizzy or disoriented anymore than any other coaster because of how slow they are going to allow the cars to spin.

I understand your fears, but I don't think you're understanding the limits they are putting on the rotating that will prevent what you are afraid of.

Sure hope you're right, but I'm not buying it. Spinning is spinning and as I pointed out in an earlier post produces forces far different from that of other more traditional coasters. I think it's comical that this coaster's uniqueness was  sold on it being a spinning coaster that does XYZ, but Brad had to go out of his way to downplay the very thing that is supposed to make it unlike any other in the world.

I do think it only fair to reserve full judgement until the ride is operational, but whether you're on board with the spinning element or not, as long as it does spin, I am shocked that SDC chose to bank their largest investment in history with a ride that will statistically alienate a significant portion of the people who visit before they even get through the turnstiles.

Just think for a second about how the percentages quickly dwindle for park patrons who will never set foot on TT:

A percentage of patrons will not ride any rides.
A percentage of patrons will not meet the requirements to ride.
A percentage of patrons will visit and enjoy rides, but are not thrill seekers, or coaster enthusiasts and will not ride. 
A percentage of patrons will visit who enjoy coasters, but are unable to tolerate inversions.
A percentage of patrons will visit who enjoy coasters, but are unable to tolerate spinning rides.

That's a $26 million gamble that could have easily been minimized by incorporating the ability to allow the rider to dictate his/her ride experience as it relates to the spinning. Obviously, I am of the opinion that this omission would have made a bigger splash in terms of touting so many "world's only/firsts" in the coaster arena.

As I said above and in earlier posts, I applaud SDC on its willingness to continue pushing limits. I only hope public feedback will either prove me wrong, or force their hand into tweaking the experience at some point sooner than later. 

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »

If anyone thinks the "controlled spinning" on TT is going to be more tame than this on any level, I think you're kidding yourself. I just scanned the comments from SDC's official announcement on FB and I would say at least 25-33% of the comments echo the concerns about spinning and being bummed about never getting on the ride.

I think you need to go back to the video and listen to Brad Thomas' comments about the spinning.  What you're talking about on Spinning Dragons is EXACTLY what Brad said he DOESN'T want on the coaster- free, fast spinning that can get people sick.  Much to much spinning, much to fast, and this will NOT do that.  It is a very slow rotation that has built in brake controls so that it can not spin fast.  This has no chance of getting you dizzy or disoriented anymore than any other coaster because of how slow they are going to allow the cars to spin.

I understand your fears, but I don't think you're understanding the limits they are putting on the rotating that will prevent what you are afraid of.

Sure hope you're right, but I'm not buying it. Spinning is spinning and as I pointed out in an earlier post produces forces far different from that of other more traditional coasters. I think it's comical that this coaster's uniqueness was  sold on it being a spinning coaster that does XYZ, but Brad had to go out of his way to downplay the very thing that is supposed to make it unlike any other in the world.

I do think it only fair to reserve full judgement until the ride is operational, but whether you're on board with the spinning element or not, as long as it does spin, I am shocked that SDC chose to bank their largest investment in history with a ride that will statistically alienate a significant portion of the people who visit before they even get through the turnstiles.

Just think for a second about how the percentages quickly dwindle for park patrons who will never set foot on TT:

A percentage of patrons will not ride any rides.
A percentage of patrons will not meet the requirements to ride.
A percentage of patrons will visit and enjoy rides, but are not thrill seekers, or coaster enthusiasts and will not ride. 
A percentage of patrons will visit who enjoy coasters, but are unable to tolerate inversions.
A percentage of patrons will visit who enjoy coasters, but are unable to tolerate spinning rides.

That's a $26 million gamble that could have easily been minimized by incorporating the ability to allow the rider to dictate his/her ride experience as it relates to the spinning. Obviously, I am of the opinion that this omission would have made a bigger splash in terms of touting so many "world's only/firsts" in the coaster arena.

As I said above and in earlier posts, I applaud SDC on its willingness to continue pushing limits. I only hope public feedback will either prove me wrong, or force their hand into tweaking the experience at some point sooner than later. 
My wife and I discussed this same thing.  I wonder what kind of excitement would have been generated by a Larger version of the "Wildcat" from Celebration City smoothly plunging through the same terrain?  MUCH larger base of riders and conversely a larger season pass sales uptick.  Too much emphasis on "firsts".  Top Wooden rollercoaster would have the same effect on coaster enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:46:19 PM by Hatfield McCoy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 16, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »

Gonna suck for the awhile though.

The City still needs a GCI full of airtime and no inversions or it needs a hyper with no inversions. Cedar's RMC's they announced today are heavy on the airtime hills with their barrel rows included. Just give me some relentless air moments for 60 seconds.

I still think a redo/replacement of FITH with a drop track would be a smash hit with the SDC crowd. Thunderation/Flooded Mine/Train area for

for the record, I've been one of the biggest proponents of a spinner on this board over the years, A regular Mack spinner would have been just fine as a niche coaster and the bank busted on a huge Hyper.

Let's put this into perspective, this could have bought three compact coasters at once. A regular Mack spinner like the newer one called Turbulance
https://youtu.be/oyIuNrK69_o

A Vekoma family boomerang and invert

along with a host of others with some theming elements in the ride like tunnels to boot that would make them slide right in.

I think a great addition would be a 300 to 400 ft Star Flyer for 2020 and it would run well under 8 million.

I think this is the last coaster we see for 6 years, I don't think we'll see one in 2020 or 2022. But... this was the cash equivalent of Dolly's B&M Wing. 

Something to watch out for is the new Vekoma's out there, they seem to upping their game.

HikerDan

« Reply #1239 on: August 16, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »

I am afraid this will mean increased season pass cost, and major increased crowds making it an unpleasant experience all the time.

Yea the increased crowds will be there for this ride during Spring Ride Days, about any Saturday, and through the summer, but we can still find many mornings through any year to visit the city and enjoy some riding and walking around without the place being unpleasantly crazy.  Things picked up somewhat during the year of the Outlaw Run debut, but it was still tolerable on many days. I expect the same with this new addition.

I guess that's the advantage of being locals, it's easy for us to choose any given Sunday morning for a 5 hour visit to the city, and even some Saturdays now and then aren't too busy.  For instance, this coming weekend there is no festival, the kiddos and teachers are back in school, we're in a gap between summer and fall, so Sunday morning would likely be a great time for a visit.   

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »
I always love their theme and would probably go in the queue line for a look but i got a little nauseous just watching the video.  More power to SDC on this but after watching the video all I can say is: Long live Thunderation!
I'm Your Huckleberry

HikerDan

« Reply #1241 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »

Gonna suck for the awhile though.

The City still needs a GCI full of airtime and no inversions or it needs a hyper with no inversions. Cedar's RMC's they announced today are heavy on the airtime hills with their barrel rows included. Just give me some relentless air moments for 60 seconds.

We visited Cedar Point several years back and rode the no inversion coasters Magnum XL and Millennium Force A LOT (and of course the Dragster one).  Always hoped SDC could put in some big hyper steel coaster like those someday, but I guess probably not enough room for it, or the terrain isn't suitable for something that expansive. We like the one at WoF as well although it's been a few years since we visited, Mamba.

Anyhow, love the Powder Keg, FITH, and the Swing.  Good with the Wildfire, Outlaw, and TNT. Hoped for a much bigger tower ride, but that one is okay (the Bigfoot tower in Branson is awesome, the real deal).  Don't ever get rid of the Flooded Mine. And I pray that the teenys absolutely love the Time Traveler more than any other ride in the park and are inspired to ride it over and over before moving on to other areas of the city.  That didn't seem to happen with Outlaw after a few months. 

Of course we'll eventually take some spins on TT, but I know right now it won't be a priority during our many yearly visits.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:55:16 PM by HikerDan »

HikerDan

« Reply #1242 on: August 16, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »
That was a great post earlier BackInTime9.

The post stating, "A percentage of the patrons will....etc".

Some pertinent thoughts and well explained points throughout that post.

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: August 16, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
Lots of negative Nancy posts about something that hasn't even been completed yet. Judge the ride in spring and then see how it goes. If you can't ride in the back of a car without taking Dramamin, yes maybe you will not be able to handle it and that's fine. Just like being to short or to big to fit in the seat on other rides. Let it play out before assuming it will be unpopular.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1244 on: August 16, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
I know this post will probably get buried with all the discussion on the new ride but for those interested, here are some photo highlights from today. Got photos and video of the ceremony and as a bonus we also got to tour the station AND the coaster itself.

FULL ALBUM FROM TODAY IS HERE

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:57:51 PM by sdcfan88 »