Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509647 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1215 on: August 16, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »
So, I'm not completely understanding the "controlled spin".  Assuming this means that the spin is controlled but it is computer controlled through the ride and not the rider?

Think of it as more of a drifting effect or if you ever lost it while driving on ice.

I would equate it to doing donuts on frozen ice in a Cessna but not many folk had a Dad like me :o

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 16, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »
I hope we get more theming than was presented in the video. And while it won't effect me, I do think SDC will face an uphill battle in marketing to people who do not like spinning. I think the controlled spin will definitely help and the animation didn't look out of control to me. It just looks more like a turning motion than spinning. I think everyone should give it a chance before immediately shooting it down.

This looks like a great addition to the park and will offer something completely different from anything they have. I can't wait for 2018 to come to enjoy this amazing new addition. Three inversions, two launches, that first drop! Looks crazy and fun to me!

The animation doesn't show any spinning at all beyond the inversions. It just shows a traditional rider POV.

You can see the spinning in the animation. I wasn't just talking about the POV.

I'm talking about the rider POV. I don't care what the spinning looks like to the bystander.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 16, 2017, 12:58:10 PM »
OK, it is an exciting project...it promises a lot. I want to see it. I want to go to the park and watch people ride it. My one concern is the $26 million price tag...more than double the price of Outlaw Run...whew, hard for an old goat like me to imagine that much money spent on one attraction. But I give the park a big thumbs up and say, Godspeed, SDC! FITH was built for about $1 million in 1973. The diving bell, state of the art for it's day, cost $1.2 million. Convert the 1977 dollars to 2017 levels, my guess that is well below $26 million.OK, I admit,  I have a smile on my face, and I am playing devil's advocate regarding the bucks. It will be a great coaster, I know! Can't wait to see the line for it opening day, lol!!!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 16, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
Classic SDC backstory....

Life is changing in the 1880s, with one of history’s greatest inventions, a grand symbol of industry and progress coming to Missouri: the railroad and its mighty steam engines. Signifying the vast possibilities of further exploration into the unknown, these man-made wonders seem to leap off the pages of the treasured storybooks homesteaders read to their children. Stories that seem to be pure fantasy suddenly feel possible. One of the most popular authors is Jules Verne, who stirs many young dreamers of the era to push beyond the boundaries of their reality.

This is A story of one of those dreamers.
Meet Charles Henry, the 29-year-old owner of his recently inherited clock-making factory family business. For months now there have been whisperings behind the fences of Silver Dollar City of strange goings-on down at old Henry clockmaking factory. Townsfolk assumed he would carry on the tradition of crafting chiming clocks and more, but something bigger is happening.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 16, 2017, 02:10:12 PM »
Well this defiantly looks exciting. I have several different feelings though. Since I cannot do tight circles like tea cups and the such , I am disappointed if there will be no non spinning option. On the other hand a slower controlled spin may be something I can tolerate. One thing is for sure. I will try it.  Sounds like a great backstory and I can only hope that they do more outside theming. I also love all the passthrough elements the animation shows.

Guess I will be the first to say this. Cannot wait to take it for a SPIN.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »
Since I cannot do tight circles like tea cups and the such...

I wonder if it will be less of an issue since you will be facing out from the center of the spinning on Time Traveler instead of facing in on something like tea cups.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
NOTHING has been said by anyone about that building...??  it has a full concrete basemen/bunker under it.  But no indication of what it is...

From the drone footage, it looks like the building doesn't line up with either of the launches and it in-between them. I assume that it will just house the equipment for the launches. Also, in some of the photos from today, it has a roof now.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 16, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
Since I cannot do tight circles like tea cups and the such...

I wonder if it will be less of an issue since you will be facing out from the center of the spinning on Time Traveler instead of facing in on something like tea cups.

That is a great observation...I hadn't even thought about that.  Aren't most other coaster inward facing?

I'd will be interesting to see if those ' spinning controls' will give uniform spins on each train/car.  I'm envisioning a TT board that will be filled with opinions on which one spins the most/least.  Or what time of day is 'best'....or strategies to make it spin more/less....etc.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 16, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I can and enjoy riding every coaster currently on park without any issue at all. I've ridden Pandemonium at SFSTL once, hated every second of it and won't ever ride it again. Video attached (not my ride experience, just pulled for reference).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raogy49tOYU

If anyone thinks the "controlled spinning" on TT is going to be more tame than this on any level, I think you're kidding yourself. I just scanned the comments from SDC's official announcement on FB and I would say at least 25-33% of the comments echo the concerns about spinning and being bummed about never getting on the ride.

I hope more than ever I am so wrong about this, but I think not giving the rider some control over a spin or no spin option is a huge miss with this ride. Very anxious to see how it all shakes out once its up and running.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:05:16 PM by BackInTime9 »

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 16, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
I believe it was mentioned today that each ride on TT would be unique because of the random but controlled spin.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1225 on: August 16, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »
It's more like Electrospin on rails than teacups on rails.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1226 on: August 16, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »

If anyone thinks the "controlled spinning" on TT is going to be more tame than this on any level, I think you're kidding yourself. I just scanned the comments from SDC's official announcement on FB and I would say at least 25-33% of the comments echo the concerns about spinning and being bummed about never getting on the ride.

I think you need to go back to the video and listen to Brad Thomas' comments about the spinning.  What you're talking about on Spinning Dragons is EXACTLY what Brad said he DOESN'T want on the coaster- free, fast spinning that can get people sick.  Much to much spinning, much to fast, and this will NOT do that.  It is a very slow rotation that has built in brake controls so that it can not spin fast.  This has no chance of getting you dizzy or disoriented anymore than any other coaster because of how slow they are going to allow the cars to spin.

I understand your fears, but I don't think you're understanding the limits they are putting on the rotating that will prevent what you are afraid of.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 16, 2017, 04:41:29 PM »
So was the leak from a few days ago fake or real?

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 16, 2017, 04:43:44 PM »
I seen the video all over my facebook feed.  They are getting alot of push/plays today.

Reading through the comments its hard to tell how the general public is reacting.  Seems to be 1/2 the comments are said "no way" and talk about the spinning.  The other half are tagging friends.  Just I few "I can't wait to ride" comments.  But I'd expect that type of reaction to almost any new coaster.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 16, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »
I think some of you are getting scared easily, if you can ride OR then I wouldn't think you will have problems with a controlled spin on TT.

Couldn't disagree more. It's physics. And lateral forces induced from spinning have far different effects on the body than simply the sensation of going upside down. I could ride OR 15 times without an issue, but can't get near the Electrospin in GE.

I finally let me wife get my on electrospin this year.  Never again.  I feel sick the rest of the day afterwards.  Teacups, forget it.  If they had a tilt a whirl, forget that too.  This looks like it would be a SUPER coaster except for the spinning part.  I am sure I will give it a try, but I am very skeptical.