Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509548 times)

straightshooter

• View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1155 on: August 14, 2017, 12:01:14 AM »
Y'all shouldn't have posted those pics (particularly on this site) even with the gate open. The park has been saving that. Even the drop perspective out of the station. That's equivalent to posting pics of OR's barrel rolls on here a few days before the official announcement even though they were out there.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:15:46 AM by straightshooter »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1156 on: August 14, 2017, 08:03:06 AM »
Y'all shouldn't have posted those pics (particularly on this site) even with the gate open. The park has been saving that. Even the drop perspective out of the station. That's equivalent to posting pics of OR's barrel rolls on here a few days before the official announcement even though they were out there.

I appreciate the sentiment, but if it's visible from within the park or the road, people are going to see it. If they see it, they are going to take pictures and share them. The theme park paparazzi goes way back to even before the internet. It's just part of all the excitement leading up to the announcement.

My rule is that as long as there is no trespassing or rule breaking then go ahead - everyone's going to see it anyway. I don't want anything "leaked", but in this case everyone who has been to the park for the last month has seen this giant drop. They aren't exactly trying to hide it. OR's barrel rolls were kind of different because they really were trying to hide them, but I think they were too close to the train tracks so people figured it out anyway, aside from all the leaks.

The drop picture must have been taken by a sub contractor. The employees I know are smart enough to keep that stuff to themselves until the announcement has been made, but they've been bringing in all sorts of workers to finish the station. I wouldn't normally allow it, but it was already out and it didn't show much more than what we had already seen.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: August 14, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »

I appreciate the sentiment, but if it's visible from within the park or the road, people are going to see it. If they see it, they are going to take pictures and share them. The theme park paparazzi goes way back to even before the internet. It's just part of all the excitement leading up to the announcement.

My rule is that as long as there is no trespassing or rule breaking then go ahead - everyone's going to see it anyway. I don't want anything "leaked", but in this case everyone who has been to the park for the last month has seen this giant drop. They aren't exactly trying to hide it. OR's barrel rolls were kind of different because they really were trying to hide them, but I think they were too close to the train tracks so people figured it out anyway, aside from all the leaks.

The drop picture must have been taken by a sub contractor. The employees I know are smart enough to keep that stuff to themselves until the announcement has been made, but they've been bringing in all sorts of workers to finish the station. I wouldn't normally allow it, but it was already out and it didn't show much more than what we had already seen.

Thanks Shave...  That saves me from "defending" my actions!!!   LOL!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:32:27 PM by shavethewhales »

straightshooter

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »

Noted. They aren't exactly trying to share it out either. But yeah, it would have been fun to see some of that all at once on the big day. But I do realize it's out there and so be it. I'll be there Wednesday as well so see ya there!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: August 14, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
v
Are you kidding me?  Why would you cover the natural scenery of this ride up with some VR glasses?

I never said that I wanted it to happen. I was just speculating as to whether or not it would happen. I don't think it will I was just throwing out some further speculation.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1160 on: August 14, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
1 Day 18 hours left to go, and I noticed something interesting, that I'm not sure means anything at all, but could be a hint as well.

If you go to their page with the countdown http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/2018 and you look at the clock, which is broken down into 3 parts: Days, Hours and Minutes, they tend to flash quickly from the actual number to other numbers:  Days shows 900, Hours shows 88, and Minutes Shows 923.

Any idea if it's just a glitch in the page coding or if those might actually mean something?
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1161 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »

Noted. They aren't exactly trying to share it out either. But yeah, it would have been fun to see some of that all at once on the big day. But I do realize it's out there and so be it. I'll be there Wednesday as well so see ya there!

Did you also get a media invite or are you just going to be at the park?

FWIW, the photo of the drop from the station was originally a snap on Snap Chat.  The uncropped photo (minus the name) is on MIG.  The telltale sign that it was taken on Snap Chat is the time circle in the upper right corner
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: August 14, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
I suppose you never notice the numerous Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois and Tennessee plates in lot that we see every time we go. It's even more of a national attraction due to it's Christmas Lights always being included in so many "best of" lists.  Believe it or not Memphis and North Ms. is a pretty big market for SDC. It's closer than Dollywood.

I've never said to myself, I gotta go to Knotts Berry. It's always has been a "maybe we can fit in" place. Cedar Point is a major draw due to it's coasters no doubt.

I have said numerous times SDC and Dollywood are the best "all around" parks between the Rockies and the Appalachians/Smokies.

I did miss Kansas in my wrap up.  That is one of SDC's targeted states because it's close.

I generally didn't wander the parking lots looking at plates when I worked there.  I listened to what the PR and marketing departments told us- which areas schools were on break or getting out, how they planned our staffing based on what crowds were expected from what states, things like that.  Every park is going to have plates from several states in their parking lot, but that doesn't mean they aren't a regional park.

That did change some with Outlaw Run getting national exposure, and the Christmas events have helped.  But it's still predominantly a regional park.  But I know they'd like to change that, and I'm sure that the new coaster is a hope that further expand it.  But it's area of impact hasn't grown like Dollywood's has, and a lot of that has to do with their investment and marketing, the vast majority of which takes place within a 300- 400 mile radius of the park (which is the number we were repeatedly told when working there)

It should be interesting to see if this new coaster can expand that out some like Outlaw Run did, or if it ends up being basically something that only the area notices. (trying to keep it on topic here. lol)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

straightshooter

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 14, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »

Did you also get a media invite or are you just going to be at the park?

FWIW, the photo of the drop from the station was originally a snap on Snap Chat.  The uncropped photo (minus the name) is on MIG.  The telltale sign that it was taken on Snap Chat is the time circle in the upper right corner

Media invite.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:32:14 PM by shavethewhales »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 14, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
1 Day 18 hours left to go, and I noticed something interesting, that I'm not sure means anything at all, but could be a hint as well.

If you go to their page with the countdown http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/2018 and you look at the clock, which is broken down into 3 parts: Days, Hours and Minutes, they tend to flash quickly from the actual number to other numbers:  Days shows 900, Hours shows 88, and Minutes Shows 923.

Any idea if it's just a glitch in the page coding or if those might actually mean something?

I do not know if it means anything or not but I just sitting on the page it will flash to the 900 day thing for a second then go back to 1 day etc.  Surely it is by design.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1165 on: August 14, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »
I find the random numbers that align on the dial further below to be quite interesting. Could the numbers hint towards the ride specs for the coaster nerds to drool and speculate over? lol

8479 = Track Length?
1105 = Riders Per Hour?
2015 = Year it was conceived?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:07:53 PM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 14, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
I find the random numbers that align on the dial further below to be quite interesting. Could the numbers hint towards the ride specs for the coaster nerds to droll over and speculate over? lol

8479 = Track Length?
1105 = Riders Per Hour?
2015 = Year it was conceived?

you missed 9388 which also appears on it.

the mystery deepens...  :-)

givemezamor

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: August 14, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »

Top speed of 88mph?
"A day at Silver Dollar City is what life should be like. No worries, just good times.."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1168 on: August 15, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »
Only the 88 makes sense to me for obvious reasons... not sure it's anything more than a neat CSS glitch though.

24 hours left...

I'm so glad we've made it this far without it being too spoilt. I think the flow of info was just about right to keep everyone intrigued without completely giving it all away. There's still a lot left to find out tomorrow. I'm getting my hopes up again for some amazing bombshells. They always deliver, and they have certainly promised that this will be big.

I mean honestly, all the excavation and inflation aside, what have we seen yet that justifies the apparently huge price tag they have touted? They've gone out on a limb to say that this thing will be somehow "bigger" than Wildfire, so there's still some stuff coming that I doubt we have even guessed at yet.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 15, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »

24 hours left...

i have alarm on phone set, to remind me...  LOL :o :o