Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509534 times)

mattbat86

• View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1140 on: August 13, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »
Courtesy of Bat Fasterd

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 13, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »
Wow, this looks incredible. I don't know why it just occurred to me but does anyone think there is any chance SDC avoids having to do a ton of theming by going the route of virtual reality? A lot of coasters are doing that these days.

It would allow them to blast us to whatever time period they wanted and there could be multiple variations of the ride. However, if this thing does spin and have virtual reality then that could make a lot of people very nauseous.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
Wow, this looks incredible. I don't know why it just occurred to me but does anyone think there is any chance SDC avoids having to do a ton of theming by going the route of virtual reality? A lot of coasters are doing that these days.

It would allow them to blast us to whatever time period they wanted and there could be multiple variations of the ride. However, if this thing does spin and have virtual reality then that could make a lot of people very nauseous.

Gosh, I hope not, that slows the queue down.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 13, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

v
Are you kidding me?  Why would you cover the natural scenery of this ride up with some VR glasses? 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 13, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
Dang it Lorrie - you have to warn me that you are going to post photos.  I was tied up with Drum Corp International Championships today in Indy.  ;)

If you are having trouble viewing the photos on Facebook or embedded above (due to size) you can now view them on MIG as well http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/08/time-traveler-construction-sdc_12.html

Maybe I will warn you next time... I was able to get pics late friday afternoon,  then got computer access at the Motel...  Normall I dont have computer available until i get home...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1145 on: August 13, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
I really, really doubt that VR is part of this. Among many other reasons, it's nothing but a boondoggle at every other park that has tried it.

The drop looks nice. It's not huge, but it's big enough that you will feel the vertical sensation.

Less than three days...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1146 on: August 13, 2017, 02:51:07 PM »
Dang it Lorrie - you have to warn me that you are going to post photos.  I was tied up with Drum Corp International Championships today in Indy.  ;)

If you are having trouble viewing the photos on Facebook or embedded above (due to size) you can now view them on MIG as well http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/08/time-traveler-construction-sdc_12.html

Maybe I will warn you next time... I was able to get pics late friday afternoon,  then got computer access at the Motel...  Normall I dont have computer available until i get home...

lol.  I'm just kidding. I got back to my hotel in Indy last night and saw the photos and then went ahead and posted the update. Not a problem - thanks again for sharing
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1147 on: August 13, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
In an email from the park, they mentioned the station having AC. I'm guessing this means it could be kind of like Wildfire's station? Probably lots of theming inside that will be kind of similar. I do love the highly themed stations.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 13, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
In an email from the park, they mentioned the station having AC. I'm guessing this means it could be kind of like Wildfire's station? Probably lots of theming inside that will be kind of similar. I do love the highly themed stations.

I love the station theming also, but I do wish there was more effort put toward ride theming. For the most part SDC coasters after the station is just a coaster. What if there were to do something like Rock N Roller Coaster with a backstory presentation. That would be great.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1149 on: August 13, 2017, 03:44:43 PM »
They haven't even finished putting the track together, so I'll withhold judgement on the amount of theming until opening day.

Honestly though, even if it is just the station that is highly themed, I'd take that. I really wanted some tunnels or buildings to fly though, but I'll take what I can get. Wildfire comes off just fine, and I consider that coaster highly themed. We'll see what happens with that launch building though. That could turn into something big.

We can be certain that this coaster has a detailed story of it's own - probably even a theme song like the last several coaster/big ride additions. They haven't slowed down on theming yet. Fireman's Landing still looks great even if some of us don't like the prevalence of rides up front. Lightning Rod's station is supposed to be pretty good as well.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: August 13, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
A few pictures from today. I'm not so sure that Poke Salad Mary's is leaving. The ramp is complete to the left of it and the walkway seems to take a turn toward the old Thunderation arch.
Also, there are three small roofs on the walkway.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 13, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »
We were talking and we think that the ramp that empties into the picnic table area might be just temporary for the media event - much like the bridge over the track opening in the station.

SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1152 on: August 13, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »
That would make sense. It seemed a bit awkward and out of place for a normal walkway.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:47:25 PM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 13, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
Well the railing doesn't match the rest of Boardwalk.  That was kind of a giveaway too. 
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 13, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
It does look like it is temporary and that the ramp does a 180 and returns back up the hill to meet the part that goes up the stairs from the station.