Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509841 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1125 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
For me as I grow older being the first to know about something like a new coaster is just kind of Meh. I actually consider myself a coaster enthusiast, but not to the point of trolling the internet all day to find out details about upcoming constructions. Am I excited ? yes. Will I stop my day to watch the announcement ?  probably not unless its raining outside. Am I excited to have a new coaster ? Yes. The anticipation leading up is part of the fun, but I will not wish my life away to get a day closer.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1126 on: August 11, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
^^Didn't SDC announce the announcement before CP? I'm also kind of surprised CF would want to announce their new coasters all on the same day.

I don't think Cedar Fair would be much concerned at all, honestly.  They see SDC as a smaller regional park that isn't in any sort of real direct competition with them (slightly with Worlds of Fun, but not with any of their other parks), so outside of enthusiast circles they wouldn't see it as a distraction at all.

and enthusiast circles really don't have anywhere near as much influence and impact as they would like to think they do.  :-)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1127 on: August 11, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
^^Didn't SDC announce the announcement before CP? I'm also kind of surprised CF would want to announce their new coasters all on the same day.

I don't think Cedar Fair would be much concerned at all, honestly.  They see SDC as a smaller regional park that isn't in any sort of real direct competition with them (slightly with Worlds of Fun, but not with any of their other parks), so outside of enthusiast circles they wouldn't see it as a distraction at all.

and enthusiast circles really don't have anywhere near as much influence and impact as they would like to think they do.  :-)

I think their parks really cater to different crowds than SDC.  Most of their parks are just regional parks.  SDC is a mid-level destination park.  (On the same level as a Busch Gardens or Sea Wkrld but not a Disney or Universal)
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1128 on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »

I think their parks really cater to different crowds than SDC.  Most of their parks are just regional parks.  SDC is a mid-level destination park.  (On the same level as a Busch Gardens or Sea Wkrld but not a Disney or Universal)

Not to argue with you (well, ok, maybe a little. hehe) but SDC is much more a regional park than many of the Cedar Fair parks are.  Knott's Berry Farm, Cedar Point, and King's Island all bring in visitors from around the world (and all 3 have more than 3 times the attendance of SDC), whereas SDC really draws from 4 states- Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent Texas.  While we might like to think it's a destination park, it really isn't. It's crowds are very much regional, and the vast majority are from within 2 hours.  It's numbers and drawing power are nowhere near what many of the Cedar Fair parks are.  And then there is the fact that they only have one park that has any sort of overlapping sphere of influence with SDC (Worlds of Fun).

So really, SDC is a mere blip in Cedar Fair's eyes and nothing they are going to concern themselves with when it comes to competition for their announcements.  For them they really wouldn't care if SDC is making the announcement the same day.  They're dealing with a much larger audience with a much broader reach than SDC does.

Edit- or to put it another way, there are reasons that SDC plans it's operating schedules around local school districts' calendars and the Cedar Fair parks generally don't.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:05:23 PM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 11, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
I'm going to offer my rebuttal and then be done as we are getting way off topic. 

Cedar Fair views the following parks as destination parks and have stated as such in their quarterly release: Cedar Point, Knotts Berry Farm, Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland. 

Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair, Dorney Park, California's Great America, Michigan's Adventure, Kings Dominion, Kings Island all depend on the local markets for revenue. 

Each of the parks rely heavily on the local workforce to man the parks (with the exception of KBF). Their schedules all reflect this as most will be down to weekend only starting next week and the others will be down to weekends after Labor Day. 

SDC is a destination park because it's in a destination area.  While not as big as SoCal or Orlando it is on par with Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg.  Their pull is the states you mentioned and many more.  There is always an influx of LSU fans, kU fans, and even farther away.  Visit a show once in awhile and when they do the "where you from" portion you'll be surprised how diverse the crowd is. 

Like I said, it's a mid-tier destination park.  I think we suffer from being too close to SDC to notice this fact. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 11, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »

Not to argue with you (well, ok, maybe a little. hehe) but SDC is much more a regional park than many of the Cedar Fair parks are.  Knott's Berry Farm, Cedar Point, and King's Island all bring in visitors from around the world (and all 3 have more than 3 times the attendance of SDC), whereas SDC really draws from 4 states- Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent Texas.  While we might like to think it's a destination park, it really isn't. It's crowds are very much regional, and the vast majority are from within 2 hours.  It's numbers and drawing power are nowhere near what many of the Cedar Fair parks are.  And then there is the fact that they only have one park that has any sort of overlapping sphere of influence with SDC (Worlds of Fun).

So really, SDC is a mere blip in Cedar Fair's eyes and nothing they are going to concern themselves with when it comes to competition for their announcements.  For them they really wouldn't care if SDC is making the announcement the same day.  They're dealing with a much larger audience with a much broader reach than SDC does.

Edit- or to put it another way, there are reasons that SDC plans it's operating schedules around local school districts' calendars and the Cedar Fair parks generally don't.

I suppose you never notice the numerous Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois and Tennessee plates in lot that we see every time we go. It's even more of a national attraction due to it's Christmas Lights always being included in so many "best of" lists.  Believe it or not Memphis and North Ms. is a pretty big market for SDC. It's closer than Dollywood.

I've never said to myself, I gotta go to Knotts Berry. It's always has been a "maybe we can fit in" place. Cedar Point is a major draw due to it's coasters no doubt.

I have said numerous times SDC and Dollywood are the best "all around" parks between the Rockies and the Appalachians/Smokies.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 12, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »
Here is a few new pics, steel hanging.. drop out of building looks complete.  taken from hiway, no trespassing..LOL... 

You must be logged into facebook to use link.

Shave? Swoosh? use them if you want to...

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 12, 2017, 02:27:52 PM »
Here is a few new pics, steel hanging.. drop out of building looks complete.  taken from hiway, no trespassing..LOL... 

Looks like you accidentally left off said link.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1133 on: August 12, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »

Looks like you accidentally left off said link.

If I may:  https://www.facebook.com/lorrie.crumb/media_set?set=a.10212189239717709.1073741952.1578260143&type=3
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

blatym

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 12, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »
Thank you so much!!! It looks like that twisty air time is gonna dive through the first inversion!!! This thing is gonna be insane!!!  ;D ;D ;D

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1135 on: August 12, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »
Great photos! This coaster is really getting insane in a hurry! I am definately getting Helix/Taron vibes from the layout.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:36:26 AM by sdcfan88 »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 12, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »
That's just crazy!  I know nothing about coasters, but because it's so deep, do you think water will be involved?  It's in the canyon, right?

blatym

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 12, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
Great photos! I embedded them here for those interested. This coaster is really getting insane in a hurry! I am definately getting Helix/Taron vibes from the layout.

Is it just me or does the bottom of the half loop part of the inversion look like it doesn't have enough time to curve up before hitting the ground... Maybe this could mean a tunnel but chances are very low. :-\

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 12, 2017, 11:54:09 PM »
Dang it Lorrie - you have to warn me that you are going to post photos.  I was tied up with Drum Corp International Championships today in Indy.  ;)

If you are having trouble viewing the photos on Facebook or embedded above (due to size) you can now view them on MIG as well http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/08/time-traveler-construction-sdc_12.html
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1139 on: August 13, 2017, 04:17:03 AM »
Yeah I am really loving this. Cannot wait for Wednesday. lol  :)

Also there is another photo floating around out there showing another perspective of the drop which is even more insane. Its viewed as you would see it from the station by a worker on site. It really illustrates how big and steep this drop really is.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:40:09 AM by sdcfan88 »