Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509726 times)

blatym

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1050 on: August 04, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
that definitely looks like launch track. any other photos?

blatym

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 04, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »
it would be so cool if there was a part in that building where it was like a drop track but it goes up and down with the story line then launches you out into the open. it would go into the hole at the bottom and come out at the top

blatym

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 04, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »
Encountered a truck as I was leaving bringing more track and supports onsite. You can see more of the layout here.
I got much better shots on my DSLR which I will edit and upload later tonight. Along with video.
when will the video be out?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1053 on: August 05, 2017, 02:55:48 AM »
Here are my photos shot with my DSLR from yesterday. They speak for themselves. This is a game changer whatever this Frankencoaster is lol

As a bonus, here is a video to go with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDSjKOKiKXU

Wide shot.

Zoomed in.

It's a 90 degree drop no question.

Look hard thru the trees you can see the dark green track as it starts to curl up into the first presumed inversion.

Still cannot see it? Here it is.

That same piece is next to the white boom of the crane in this image. Note the support being hoisted along with the nearly complete inversion by the pickup truck to the right.

Now on the other side is progress on the queue line.

This thing is much more imposing in person, almost looks like the beginnings of a small observation deck to the adjacent track that is presumed to appear here.

Again, this layout is crazy!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:00:05 AM by sdcfan88 »

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 05, 2017, 07:55:35 AM »
Thanks for the photos!  Great work!  That next to last photo of the bridge looking into the station has me perplexed.  With the railing attached to the bridge it seems like there won't be enough room for the track and cars to come through there.  Also it appears like they are framing in the bottom of the opening where we were thinking the track would go.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:58:58 AM by Wildfire »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 05, 2017, 08:09:28 AM »
Great pics!!.  Any guesses on the steel framed landing on the east side?  Really isnt big enough to be a platform for people to stand and watch..?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 05, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
It looks like that "platform" goes into the station.... So could it be a single-rider/Trailblazer/etc entrance?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1057 on: August 05, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
Very cool. Thanks again Josh.

Wow, so there are actually two different inversions being formed AND a probable launch track. This would have just blown my mind a few years ago. It's still pretty cutting edge even now.

Yeah the railing so close to the track area in the station makes me think the cars won't be wide-bodies... we'll see though. Depth can be deceiving.

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 05, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
This is the part that has me most baffled.  Maybe it is just temporary for the construction workers to use to cross the load channel?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 05, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
^Yes from what I observed yesterday it's a temporary measure.

Also as mentioned if there is still gonna be spinning involved here (despite such a steep drop) I do think it will come later in the ride as I think the centrifugal force could be way too violent with a drop like that under the right circumstances. They might have incorporated the controlled spinning mechanism from Cobras Curse onto the larger spinning cars they tested on Blue Fire.

But I really am questioning the plausibility of the Big Dipper theory now with this drop in place, as this poster here mentioned on TPR: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=162&start=5060

And thanks everyone, glad my impromptu visit payed off big catching that gate open with them placing more track and supports. (I had to go to work the following evening lol) Trust me, this layout is way more amazing once you see it in person!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:39:01 PM by sdcfan88 »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 05, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
And here is a general idea of where new track has been placed using the overhead view shot that was posted a few weeks ago.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 05, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »
Someone awhile ago said ot could have a spinning option...i believe this will have that. Riders decide if they can spin or not. Does this exist yet?
And could this be one big circle? That curved part of the track just seems unique for its degree and where its located. Doesnt look like a typical inversion. Does any of the track corkscrew like on OR?
I have a guess as to what this will look like but i cant explain it.
It has to be a launch...theres nothing big enough for a dive. I guess its still early. I hope its a launch I love PK.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 05, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
Thanks for the updated pics. I know it's so hard to know considering the fact that this ride has yet to be in full view, but unless I'm just very ignorant as to what things cost these days, I'm wondering even with the size of the station and wha the assume may be a mid-circuit launch, how will this ride as we know it live up to the SDC claim of being more than twice the size of anything they've ever installed. Maybe there is an absolute mess of track still to come, but the existing footprint just doesn't look like the makings of a $40 million addition. Now, I'm as excited as any and not hating on the project whatsoever, just curious as we all are in terms of what's still to come that we may not be privy to right now.

For additional perspective, WF was a $14 million project, but came to SDC little more than 15 years ago. While a great ride, it isn't a physically imposing ride interns of layout or its general size. I wonder what the cost comparison would be if the same ride were built in that same spot today. I know the new coaster required what we have speculated to be much more earthwork and concrete due to its location and that certainly begins to eat up a budget quickly, but from the overhead shots, existing footers and pics we've seen thus far, I am very intrigued about this "more than twice the size" claim that's been thrown out there. Keep in mind, I have yet to see the project in person so my somewhat blinded view may be completely of the mark. Just wanted to voice that while I'm as excited as any, I still have some skepticism about what's to be when all is said and done. Love to hear some other perspectives based on others who have seen this in person.   

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 05, 2017, 02:50:02 PM »
Keep in mind Wildfire would cost 20mil plus today.

blatym

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 05, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
And here is a general idea of where new track has been placed using the overhead view shot that was posted a few weeks ago.
the way you drew it out makes it look like there will be a little speed bump in between the drop and first inversion

I also got to thinking... what if the "holding brake" area is actually to unlock the spinning?