Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509577 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #945 on: July 13, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/07/time-traveler-construction-sdc_13.html

The scaffolding supports for the exit bridge from the station has been installed.

None of that was there Tuesday, but I got the idea they were staging for lifting some heavy loads into position in that location.

Apparently happened Wednesday afternoon.
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #946 on: July 13, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »
Cool update. :) Any idea where all the new track went? It disappeared from the back lot next to 76 while I was up there over the weekend but as far as I could tell no new track was hung. Have they arranged a more secretive site for staging the track?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:07:23 PM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 13, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
Cool update. :) Any idea where all the new track went? It disappeared from the back lot next to 76 while I was up there over the weekend but as far as I could tell no new track was hung. Have they arranged a more secretive site for staging the track?

They moved it to another lot across the street.  I forget what they call that lot.  Apparently a lot of track and support pieces are being staged there. 
SWOOSH

OutlawRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:15 PM »
 ;)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 14, 2017, 12:17:03 AM »
^ Very interesting. Soooo, Gravity Redefined. That doesn't point to anything related to a mountain in my book. I wouldn't say gravity insinuates anything related directly to time travel either. However, the gratuitous addition of the gears throughout the design certainly does tie into that notion. The type treatment almost bears the markings of a steampunkish theme. Makes me think of Baron for some reason. Too bad this isn't going to be a dive coaster. This "Gravity Redefined" teaser sure has me spooked. Hoping that isn't some early nod to the dreaded spinning component we've hashed and rehashed for months.

And I thought we were due for an official public announcement on 8/16. This seems to indicate this is an internal announcement.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 14, 2017, 01:39:28 AM »
^ Very interesting. Soooo, Gravity Redefined. That doesn't point to anything related to a mountain in my book. I wouldn't say gravity insinuates anything related directly to time travel either. However, the gratuitous addition of the gears throughout the design certainly does tie into that notion. The type treatment almost bears the markings of a steampunkish theme. Makes me think of Baron for some reason. Too bad this isn't going to be a dive coaster. This "Gravity Redefined" teaser sure has me spooked. Hoping that isn't some early nod to the dreaded spinning component we've hashed and rehashed for months.

And I thought we were due for an official public announcement on 8/16. This seems to indicate this is an internal announcement.

Very interesting indeed, if this were still the long rumored B&M Dive Coaster, this teaser poster to me screams Baron 1898 if it didn't have the SDC logo on there. However what is kinda confusing is while the gears and steampunkish art style seem to hint strongly towards the Time Traveler theme, the "Gravity Redefined" kinda throws me off. Without getting overly scientific here, gravity and time travel (real or faux) don't exactly fit together logically. It could simply be a nod toward the spinning concept but could it also be a hint they went in a completely different direction with the theme due to budgeting issues or was the Time Travel concept testing poorly with the GP upon further review?

EDIT: While on the subject of the Dive Coaster, in the back of my mind I have been long suspecting since observing the gigantic first drop that appears to be taking shape out of the station that this could be Mack's first real attempt at a Dive Coaster. Lost Gravity IS the only existing Mack coaster using their new Big Dipper cars but it does not have the holding brake or the vertical drop associated with a Dive Machine. And if the launching rumors are still valid, this could qualify as the first Dive Coaster with launch segments, and then again it could still incorporate the spinning at some point and/or it could be an E-Motion coaster too with tilting cars. Hmm... opens up a bunch of what-ifs here for sure.

More pics and info on the Lost Gravity Big Dipper Coaster:
https://rcdb.com/12315.htm
http://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/unkown-mack-coaster-wallibi-holland-2016-t35880-25.html
https://mack-rides.com/products/rollercoaster/bigdipper/

Looks like the specialized track I saw in the lot earlier this month:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:36:12 AM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 14, 2017, 07:26:36 AM »

They always announce to the citizens the morning of the media press event. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 14, 2017, 08:02:29 AM »
If we can verify more track has been installed.......... May be time for another helicopter ride.. ;)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #953 on: July 14, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »
Perfectly crafted teaser - not much specific you can pull from it, but it could mean anything.  ;D

Still think it will involve some type of rotating vehicle plunging off a big drop.

From the sounds of things, not much more has been done with the track yet. When they want to get it done, they can get the track finished in a month. There's probably no hurry until the announcement.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 14, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »
Yes, interesting teaser...we will find out soon enough.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #955 on: July 14, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
I think someone mentioned this awhile ago, but I just noticed google maps updated the imagery for SDC. You can now see the construction site as of approximately last January. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6691855,-93.3368531,216m/data=!3m1!1e3

I hadn't checked in awhile, but I swear it wasn't updated for me when I last checked.

I just realized how much acreage they left on the table, though a lot of it is hillside. I'm sure any more clearing and leveling would have driven up costs exponentially. This ride is squeezed in there, but there are still a ton of footers.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 14, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »
I think someone mentioned this awhile ago, but I just noticed google maps updated the imagery for SDC. You can now see the construction site as of approximately last January. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6691855,-93.3368531,216m/data=!3m1!1e3

I hadn't checked in awhile, but I swear it wasn't updated for me when I last checked.

I just realized how much acreage they left on the table, though a lot of it is hillside. I'm sure any more clearing and leveling would have driven up costs exponentially. This ride is squeezed in there, but there are still a ton of footers.

had not seen that yet...  although that is about the time I was closely watching the project.

I missed what looks like "massive" excavation? concrete? footers? on the NE corner of project... there was some major work going on there.. 
that would indicate lots of weight. or maybe allowing for lots of "g-forces"? Or??????

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 14, 2017, 10:06:36 PM »

I had looked at Google Earth last week and it had not changed.  Does Google use different images for maps or do they pull from Google Earth ?

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »
I missed what looks like "massive" excavation? concrete? footers? on the NE corner of project... there was some major work going on there.. 
that would indicate lots of weight. or maybe allowing for lots of "g-forces"? Or??????

Would be cool if this is the early makings of a themed passthrough or tunnel element. Thinking the train could drop straight out of the station, bank left, into an immelmann loop then into this element. 

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 15, 2017, 02:01:40 AM »

Would be cool if this is the early makings of a themed passthrough or tunnel element. Thinking the train could drop straight out of the station, bank left, into an immelmann loop then into this element.

Well considering that IS where they first mounted track for this coaster you both could be correct, there is currently a large swooping track segment and what appears to be an airtime hill being built in that exact spot.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:40:03 PM by sdcfan88 »