Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509575 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #855 on: June 12, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately while it is a good photo we have to uphold that rule about no photos/loose articles on rides here. I know you didn't take the photo yourself sdcfan88, I just want to be careful about encouraging people to take photos on rides, especially seeing as that is the main way to get a view of this particular coaster.

Goes to show though, the track that is in place now isn't really that far back there. The size of this site is really hard to conceptualize since it twists around EH and has that huge elevation change. Lots of room for a big tangle of track to go in though.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 12, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
I am thinking about a solo trip next week. Probably Wed and Thursday. I will try and take my good DLSR and get some shots. Unfortunately, I have not had much luck in uploading to this site so not sure how I can post them. have tried everything but I always get my file size is to large message. Any ideas or I can just set up a Facebook link?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 12, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
I have that same problem uploading.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #858 on: June 12, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
You can always use a photo storage site like flickr or smugmug.  I pay a small amount each year for Smugmug and it has been more than worth it to me (but then I also shoot several thousand photos a year typically)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #859 on: June 12, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
I am thinking about a solo trip next week. Probably Wed and Thursday. I will try and take my good DLSR and get some shots. Unfortunately, I have not had much luck in uploading to this site so not sure how I can post them. have tried everything but I always get my file size is to large message. Any ideas or I can just set up a Facebook link?

Runner, if you share them to the sdcfans Facebook page like what Laroy did, then Shave and I can share them for you
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #860 on: June 12, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
I will look into tweaking the settings again to allow for larger photos. We don't have a huge amount of storage space though, so I have to keep a reign on it. A lot of photos uploaded directly from cameras are deceivingly huge in filesize.

Facebook is good way to share photos, but you have to know how to do it publicly otherwise it can turn into a headache. Posting directly to the SDCFans page is a good way to do it though because I will see it and share it on the main feed.

There's also imgur.com, which is one of the better and easier to use free image hosting sites.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 12, 2017, 05:45:46 PM »

Runner, if you share them to the sdcfans Facebook page like what Laroy did, then Shave and I can share them for you

I will just share them to the page. I sure do not want anyone to go to a ton of trouble. Thanks for all the suggestions.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 12, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
I will look into tweaking the settings again to allow for larger photos. We don't have a huge amount of storage space though, so I have to keep a reign on it. A lot of photos uploaded directly from cameras are deceivingly huge in filesize.

Facebook is good way to share photos, but you have to know how to do it publicly otherwise it can turn into a headache. Posting directly to the SDCFans page is a good way to do it though because I will see it and share it on the main feed.

There's also imgur.com, which is one of the better and easier to use free image hosting sites.

Thats why i always use the FB link.. I set the album to public..  and share the link, then I let Swoosh and Shave do their magic...... :D

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 12, 2017, 09:56:49 PM »
I have no clue what this new coaster is going to be and I have not made it to the park this year to see any of the construction. However, I was wondering if there is any chance or thought that this coaster might consist of multiple tracks with two trains launching at the same time. Just thinking out loud regarding some options that might make this ride, other than the spinning cars, a little different.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:53 PM »
I have no clue what this new coaster is going to be and I have not made it to the park this year to see any of the construction. However, I was wondering if there is any chance or thought that this coaster might consist of multiple tracks with two trains launching at the same time. Just thinking out loud regarding some options that might make this ride, other than the spinning cars, a little different.

That's definitely thinking outside the box but I think with the station set up this is going to be a single track ride.  Also there are already racing launched coasters out there.  The most famous would be Superman Ultimate Escape at SFMM.  Like I said in that really long post awhile back, we are really limited on "world's first" coaster types anymore.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #865 on: June 12, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
^Interesting idea, but there would have to be a second loading area in the station... unless they had a switch track or something... but that would be incredibly complex and expensive. I think only Universal or Disney would try something like that, and even then it would be way easier all around to just build two coasters.

Just got to throw this out there again: if it does turn out to be a spinner, you've got to give it a chance. People loved the spinning car on Blue Fire. It's not the ridiculous spin-till-you-puke type of thing you might initially think. Imagine going through Wildfire's cobra roll sideways, or through the loop backwards. It's a different experience every time, but you aren't necessarily spinning constantly. Not to say that there wouldn't be some spinny sections though of course.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 15, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »

My problem was since I tried uploading them on my slow internet on Thursday, but didnt work, I then went to the library and it said I already posted it on here when it clearly didnt go thru. That page blocked me from posting that 1 post only. Please remove that.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #867 on: June 15, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
Just got to throw this out there again: if it does turn out to be a spinner, you've got to give it a chance. People loved the spinning car on Blue Fire. It's not the ridiculous spin-till-you-puke type of thing you might initially think. Imagine going through Wildfire's cobra roll sideways, or through the loop backwards. It's a different experience every time, but you aren't necessarily spinning constantly. Not to say that there wouldn't be some spinny sections though of course.

Granted thats a valid explanation but most of the GP outside of the enthusiast community probably wont know or understand that, they will just see it as what you mentioned which will be a turn off to them. People will see the spinning cars with the inversions as a pukefest and say nope. I would hate to see the coaster be a flop with low ridership once its newness wears off but I have faith the PTB are smart enough to see that as a legitimate concern and have something sorted out to make it appealing to as many people as possible as they have done with past attractions. This is why I hope they do optional spinner seating while still having traditional train cars like they did on Blue Fire with it just being on the rear car or perhaps every other car or something of that nature, even if it means making a special queue line in the station like the two backwards cars TNT use to have, seems simple enough.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:21:06 PM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:49 PM »
This is why I hope they do optional spinner seating while still having traditional train cars like they did on Blue Fire with it just being on the rear car or perhaps every other car or something of that nature, even if it means making a special queue line in the station like the two backwards cars TNT use to have, seems simple enough.

It may seem "simple" to you, but it would be a logistics nightmare.  Also if the spinning is used to story-tell then that sort of defeats the purpose.  I feel confident in saying that this will be an "all or none" coaster.  It will be spinning or it will be conventional - it will not be both.  For me, every sign points to this being a spinner. 

I know a spinner is not what you are wanting, but I think that hardly constitutes it being a possible flop.  I have never seen a spinner that wasn't popular with the general public.  I am confident that the "puke factor" has been taken into consideration as I am sure this will be marketed as a "family coaster" like every coaster that's ever been added to the park.
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 17, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
I was at the carnival last year and got 1 ride on Chainsaw and Screamer, along with other rides I am not new to. Anyway, I actually felt like I was about to puke, for the first time. Im starting to feel old.

With that being said, after those flip upside down many times, I feel if this spins the same number of times, I might feel the same way. I picture this ride having a great theme and 1 or 2 small buildings to stop in, like FireChaser Express, but turning from one side to the other to see stuff from both sides of the track (picture Disney World's Haunted Mansion ride). I also picture it staying in a position other than forwards when you are going fast. Since they did away with the reverse cars on TNT, I think this will be the backwards or sideways ride they are allowed to not run forwards for those thrill seekers like me who love riding any direction but forwards because it makes it feel EXTREME.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:18:43 PM by Dewayne »