Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509846 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #795 on: May 30, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »
To be clear, the first shot of the track that sawblade5 got was apparently taken from the new bathrooms on the North end of Echo Hollow. That is across the gully from the service entrance and the farthest point from the station - literally the back corner.

Someone mentioned seeing a "Mack box" in the area, or something with Mack on it that confirmed they were involved. Anyone know about this?

While the few remaining trees are still kind of able to hide the coaster while they are leafed out, the actual coaster area is barren and will surely stay that way like Wildfire. There's just no other way. Trees and coasters do not mix very well. Especially when they have elements close to the ground. Again though, there's still hope for some tunnels and neat thematic features.

That claim was proven false and was posted by a troll that has not been seen since.

This is Mack track and supports.  It has been debated in numerous places around the internet by people who clearly have more time on their hands than I pointing out the subtle differences between Mack, Intamin, Gerstlauer and even Schwarzkopf track.  Frankly I don't care that much.  This is a Mack project - that's the long and short of it.  If you need more proof you'll have to wait until the August announcement. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:38:18 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #796 on: May 31, 2017, 01:37:28 AM »
Here are my photos from the track getting hung today. I grabbed some video as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRvruSXrRww

They also appear to be pouring yet even more large footer structures of some sort. That one below the station was new since my last visit.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:34:17 AM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 31, 2017, 09:10:19 AM »
great pictures.. 
 the last one would indicate all the concrete we saw before was just the "footings" below ground level to support this massive "slab",
obviously there will be a  massive structure of some kind mounted on top of it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #798 on: May 31, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
That footer next to the station is really intriguing. Perhaps it's not just for the coaster? Personally I'd be happy if there's an observation platform in that area. Looks like there will be some big columns there though... bigger than what the coaster uses?

Looks like the track in place now is forming some kind of turnaround? Perhaps an overbank turn? Realllllly wish we had an overhead of all the footers in place.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 31, 2017, 03:28:31 PM »
I am surprised somebody in this group doesnt have a drone....  LOL..
I dont have one...(yet) 
not sure I am coordinated enough to run one...  LOL

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 31, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
I have a DJI Phantom 3 Professional...only rub is I'm four hours from Branson. If I get down there before any official announcement...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 31, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »
Pretty sure drones aren't allowed over the park anyway; didn't some guy who posted drone video of SDC on YouTube get in trouble for it last year?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #802 on: May 31, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
Pretty sure drones aren't allowed over the park anyway; didn't some guy who posted drone video of SDC on YouTube get in trouble for it last year?

I was about to mention that he either spent a day in jail or paid a hefty fine. IIRC

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 31, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »

Forget I said anything...... ::) ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 31, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »
You could always take the helicopter ride that goes right over the park
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #805 on: May 31, 2017, 08:42:29 PM »
^lol, that's a good idea! We should take a collection and send sdcfan88 and swoosh on a helicopter ride so we can figure out the layout.   ;)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 31, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »
Aerial views are easily possible without flying in/over the park. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
You could always take the helicopter ride that goes right over the park

I thought about that also... quick little flight, short hover, a few quick pictures!  done!!.

As far as that goes a good drone could hover above the road high enough to get pictures also without ever crossing over the "property' line..

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 01, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
Went ahead and posted the photos.  We just got home less than an hour ago.
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/05/time-traveler-track-hung.html

Photos of the track in the air - another piece ready to go - and several supports up already. There is more track visible from the train.  Did some detail shots on the station.  HUGE update.  Enjoy!

I was the first to point out that I didnt know how the switch track would fit in with the room and how the track would go in with footers the way they are.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 01, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »
Did a quick scan of the SDC thread on TPR today - first time I've been there in about a month - a couple of you guys seem to be transfixed on this "turntable" thing where there are spinning and non-spinning trains.  As cool as that might be, please explain where (with the current structure) they are going to fit that in the station. 

Sorry.  There's going to be one type of train.  They said this is going to be a first of its kind.  A traditional train has been done before.  I think we all know what that means. 

LaWayne, I'm still not convinced those are maintenance bays but it would make sense.  IMHO they will have a track that rotates 90° and then the small 4 car train can go on in the bays. There's probably going to be a curved track that connects then to this swivel track. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:14:54 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH