Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509790 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #780 on: May 29, 2017, 12:30:49 AM »
Holy moly! They are seriously throwing this together since I grabbed pics of the supports last week! Could it be possible the whole coaster could be constructed by the fall or maybe testing for a soft opening in time for Christmas? It would also be neat if they make a large overlook platform like the one on Wildfire so we can see both coasters from a non riders perspective.

Unless its gonna be using multi-colored track like Powder Keg, this track piece right here looks just like the track used on Helix. Compare it with the sunlit pic of said coaster posted on the previous page. I do like their color choices here. And if this ride is as big or long as that coaster, SDC has got a winner on their hands.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:21:25 AM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #781 on: May 29, 2017, 12:33:57 AM »
I think you're grossly underestimating the difficulty level in building this coaster.  I think a good portion will be constructed in time for the Coaster Christmas tour in November but it will be far from ready to being tested. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 29, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »
Since this is going to be a Mack built coaster, now is probably a good time to learn how to properly pronounce Mack.  It is German and is pronounced "Mahk" (rhymes with walk). Common misconception that it's "Meck" (rhymes with peck) or "Maack" (rhymes with back)

Kind of like how Huss is "Heews" (rhymes with loose) not "huuhse" (rhymes with bus)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:21:26 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 29, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
As always, great pictures Swoosh!  Thanks!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 29, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
Thanks for the update, Swoosh. Great pictures!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #785 on: May 29, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
Could it be possible the whole coaster could be constructed by the fall or maybe testing for a soft opening in time for Christmas?

Nah, this is the same discussion we had with Outlaw Run. That thing was practically ready to ride when we toured it in August. There's no need for them to rush things just to have it opened a few months early. There is tons of theming, testing, and training to be done once they actually finish construction, which will take much longer than just the track.

The track color is great. This is the exact color combo I would have picked out.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #786 on: May 29, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »
I do agree with those assessments. I'm really hoping they do implement some pass thru tunnels or enclosure buildings for this during the course of the ride. That's the one other thing that makes TNT unique is it's the only big coaster in the park to have those features. I always thought it was a missed opportunity on PK even though it was said a lot of its features were trimmed back due to budgeting.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:05:35 PM by sdcfan88 »

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 30, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »
Went ahead and posted the photos.  We just got home less than an hour ago.

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/05/time-traveler-track-hung.html

Photos of the track in the air - another piece ready to go - and several supports up already. There is more track visible from the train.  Did some detail shots on the station.  HUGE update.  Enjoy!

Thank you Swoosh. It's really starting to look good, especially with the trees leafing out....

Jay

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 30, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
I just hope the foliage isn't giving us a false sense of this ride being thoughtfully integrated into the woods. The aerial views and photos we saw pre-spring very much left the impression that this layout could look painfully similar to the barrenness that still leaves a great ride like WF with something to be desired. Even if mass clearing was necessary for construction, perhaps manmade elements and the replanting of some trees will compensate. If this is indeed a Mack, I can only hope it's something that could rival Helix.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 30, 2017, 12:25:06 PM »
Is that first section out by the TnT helix?  Looks like it in the background.  Can you get a good look at it from TnT?

Also looks like the curve is following the TnT helix?  Is that right or I'm I looking at it wrong?

Guess this is our visual proof that it is a Mack...and a roller coaster....lol

Thanks for the pics
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 30, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
Is that first section out by the TnT helix?  Looks like it in the background.  Can you get a good look at it from TnT?

Also looks like the curve is following the TnT helix?  Is that right or I'm I looking at it wrong?

Thanks for the pics

It is directly behind the stage at EH.  You can see it from TNT, but then you can pretty much the whole project from TNT.  It looks like they are going to install parts in the Northeast corner of the project and then work away from there so they don't "paint themselves into a corner"
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 30, 2017, 12:44:41 PM »

Thanks for the pics

It is directly behind the stage at EH.  You can see it from TNT, but then you can pretty much the whole project from TNT.  It looks like they are going to install parts in the Northeast corner of the project and then work away from there so they don't "paint themselves into a corner"

So they are starting at the further point out from the station?  I don't claim to no anything about the best way to build these things but I'd assume they work from the furthest point away from the service access entrance....and only if all the footers in the area are done.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 30, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »

Are we being a bit presumptuous about the make of the coaster considering Mack, Intamin and Gerstlauer all build coasters using this type of track?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 30, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »

Thanks for the pics

So they are starting at the further point out from the station?  I don't claim to no anything about the best way to build these things but I'd assume they work from the furthest point away from the service access entrance....and only if all the footers in the area are done.

So basically what I said then?  ;)
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #794 on: May 30, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
To be clear, the first shot of the track that sawblade5 got was apparently taken from the new bathrooms on the North end of Echo Hollow. That is across the gully from the service entrance and the farthest point from the station - literally the back corner.

Someone mentioned seeing a "Mack box" in the area, or something with Mack on it that confirmed they were involved. Anyone know about this?

While the few remaining trees are still kind of able to hide the coaster while they are leafed out, the actual coaster area is barren and will surely stay that way like Wildfire. There's just no other way. Trees and coasters do not mix very well. Especially when they have elements close to the ground. Again though, there's still hope for some tunnels and neat thematic features.