Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509504 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #750 on: May 22, 2017, 10:40:52 PM »
Hard to tell from the pics but how big are they? Are they as big as say... the ones used on Wildfire? That could give us clues to the scope of how big this thing is gonna be.

I mean, they're pretty typical supports from what I can tell. Not as big as the giant lift hill supports on WF, but they are the same sized used on Helix at Lisberg and all of Mack's other creations. Not saying that they are Mack supports necessarily, but they are the same size from what I can tell. Supports all look the same though...

The connectors (where they attach to the footers and track) is where the real differences are at
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 22, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
With some infrastructure components beginning to show up and 10 months still on the calendar until opening day for the 2018 season, this really makes me extra curious how much work really still needs to be done. Are we to assume that all of the excavating work is complete? Are all of the footers in place? Erecting the steel alone can't possibly take several months, especially this time of year. Unless there is still something relatively major we have yet to see, or this ride will involve a game-changing feature that will require significant testing (a la Lightning Rod), I wonder if this ride will be close to complete from a bystander POV when they officially announce the attraction late summer, or early Fall. Definitely love all the guessing, just wish we had something significant and concrete to get excited about. Regardless of whatever manufacturer and type of coaster we're looking at here, I personally hope this winds up being the longest ride in the park. Each of SDC's coasters all have something special about them, but none of them are quite long enough for me. I have yet to visit the park this year so it's hard discerning just how much land this ride will consume and just how much of a layout could fit into the footprint we already know is currently occupied by footers. Can anyone shed any extra light on these points to help out those of us who have not seen the site in person yet?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #752 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:14 AM »
With some infrastructure components beginning to show up and 10 months still on the calendar until opening day for the 2018 season, this really makes me extra curious how much work really still needs to be done. Are we to assume that all of the excavating work is complete? Are all of the footers in place? Erecting the steel alone can't possibly take several months, especially this time of year. Unless there is still something relatively major we have yet to see, or this ride will involve a game-changing feature that will require significant testing (a la Lightning Rod), I wonder if this ride will be close to complete from a bystander POV when they officially announce the attraction late summer, or early Fall. Definitely love all the guessing, just wish we had something significant and concrete to get excited about. Regardless of whatever manufacturer and type of coaster we're looking at here, I personally hope this winds up being the longest ride in the park. Each of SDC's coasters all have something special about them, but none of them are quite long enough for me. I have yet to visit the park this year so it's hard discerning just how much land this ride will consume and just how much of a layout could fit into the footprint we already know is currently occupied by footers. Can anyone shed any extra light on these points to help out those of us who have not seen the site in person yet?

They have even expanded it slightly even from when that picture was taken and its been said that it will eventually overlap into TNT's territory a bit too.

That might help answer your questions, and it will likely either be the tallest or longest coaster in the park for what I am guessing by that statement in this article: http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/business/2017/03/03/silver-dollar-city-confirms-single-biggest-thing-ever-done-under-construction/98496960/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:54:45 AM by sdcfan88 »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 23, 2017, 04:33:20 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with the news story and the comments about this being SDC's largest project to date, it's just too vague. From the aerial view(s) available the current/assumed footprint of the ride doesn't appear to be much larger than that of Wildfire so it's really difficult to get any sense of scale and what the "biggest ever" reference actually means. As some have already speculated, for all we know, that could simply be nodding to scope of the project investment alone. I'm familiar enough with the park to know that the project site is not overly imposing in terms of acreage so it leaves me a bit curious and concerned about the final makeup of the coaster. I don't have any doubts something fantastic is on the way, I just wonder how anything truly massive (in terms of height) can be shoved into that limited area. But again, I don't have an overwhelming amount of context as I haven't seen the site since clearing began. Obviously the station alone has fueled much debate based on its sheer size. 

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 23, 2017, 04:49:49 AM »
Speaking of, I found this POV from the station building posted on social media from an apparent Construction worker there. This is where the presumed drop from the station is. Obviously that was back in the winter, but still impressive.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:02:12 AM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #755 on: May 23, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »
Earlier I said I was concerned about the seeming lack of groundwork for anything other than the coaster supports, but this last trip showed me that there is actually so much going on that there's no telling what they could be building around the coaster. I had forgotten all about the big concrete box that seems like it could be the base for some kind of tower. I'm cautiously optimistic again that there will be some impressive visual features at the center of this ride.

The footers for the queue line are interesting too... it looks like the queue will be level and go from the old TNT arch right into the upper levels of the station. That way they won't have any issues with ADA access and won't have to build an elevator.

There's also just so many footers... should be a decent amount of track. I wish we had an updated aerial view. There's just no way to get good photos or get a grasp of the situation until you ride TNT and see for yourself.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 23, 2017, 03:25:53 PM »
I wish we had an updated aerial view. There's just no way to get good photos or get a grasp of the situation until you ride TNT and see for yourself.

LOL, I dont have a drone.......  (yet)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #757 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »
Vertical construction has begun! J.T. shared some more photos on our Facebook page.

I kinda assumed they were just staging, and actual assembly wouldn't start for a few more weeks. Unless things have changed in the last couple of days there isn't even track on site yet (unless they have done an amazing job at hiding it). Supports tend to go up pretty quick... does that mean track will show up next month? Is this going to go down exactly like Outlaw Run where we see all kinds of crazy elements popping up and the entire coaster is constructed before it is even announced? That would be totally fine by me!

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
Yes the columns are already being erected. There were about 6 of them seen thru the trees behind Echo Hollow. A better view can obviously be obtained on TNT but as we know pictures cannot be obtained. They are nearly the same color as Wildfires columns when it was new.

I also noticed a couple of concrete box structures being constructed right below the station which I found most peculiar. Ride elements or a storage building? But I will say the station itself is quite imposing while standing down in Echo Hollow.

Full album is here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155322026637232&set=a.10154620136647232.1073741868.503502231&type=3&theater
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:59:14 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 24, 2017, 07:31:41 AM »
Great pics... also surprised at vertical starting already..   anxious to see the project this weekend

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 24, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
Looks like the fences and line that was used on Orbiter.

Didn't all of that go to Wild Adventures?

The ride was taken there. I dont know if every single part including the line went too. Also, notice how I said LOOKS like.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #761 on: May 24, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
The colors look great so far. The smooth grey seems to take on the shade of the foliage and blend in. I hope the track color isn't too dramatic. It would be nice if this coaster stayed with muted colors to blend in a little more with the scenery.

People who pay more attention to the intricacies of coaster design are saying that the connectors look like what Mack uses... so with that firming up, now we just have to wait and see if the spinning aspect will be there, or if they will go with the floorless 4-across trains.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 26, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »
I wouldn't mind them going with the track color on Helix, it would blend well with the foliage.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:30:44 AM by sdcfan88 »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 26, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
Forgot to add this to my post the other day, these are the other columns that can be seen from the train.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #764 on: May 26, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
Well that was fun while it lasted.  Apparently there is now a fence that hides the parking lot where they were staging from the train. 
SWOOSH