Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509833 times)

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #705 on: April 30, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
Does anyone think there is ANY chance of this new ride going through Marvel cave or its tunnels?

No, that is ridiculous. There are no know cave passages beneath that area. It looks to me like the cave might have extended into that area in pre-history. If it did, It has all collapsed and eroded away many, many years ago. 

JJH

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:51 PM »
From a practical perspective the answer is no (expense, bad PR, maintenance nightmare...)  This will never happen.   The purely academic answer is, it could be done.  The Missouri cave laws protect the owner from damages and trespassing, and prohibit damaging the water system that the cave is a part of.  If SDC could get permission from the owners to damage the cave, and the operation of the coaster did not damage the water system, it would not violate the Missouri cavelaws.  The big issue are the laws regarding the Federal endangered species act.  Since Marvel cave does contain these species, the impact of the coaster would need to be dealt with.  There are many cases in which construction and use has occurred in environments that contained endangered species (none to my knowledge involving a coaster in a cave), but the process is incredibly expensive.  So the answer to the question is no, the coaster will not be in Marvel cave.   

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #707 on: May 01, 2017, 08:53:20 PM »
Keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times...

Libertybellshoeroombottomlesspitblondie'sthroneserpentinepassagenogginknockerwaterfall...

And then on the second inversion...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #708 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:46 PM »
Does anyone think there is ANY chance of this new ride going through Marvel cave or its tunnels?

Umm... NO.  :o

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 02, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
Pics from 4-27-17, Not a lot of new details, but it has been raining there for a week or so.. LOL  I did some pretty good pics of west side, from TNT walkway area.  I couldnt  get a shot from the roadway this weekend, no one working..

Swoosh, Shave use them as you need to.

This is a FB link, you will need to be on FB to see

https://www.facebook.com/lorrie.crumb/media_set?set=a.10211288838128232.1073741941.1578260143&type=3&uploaded=18

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #710 on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »
Rain is definitely slowing them down a bit, but that's still a lot of progress. Doesn't help that a lot of the crew probably couldn't even make it to the park for some of the past week with all the bridges underwater. Hope none of the footers slid away before they finished being secured.  ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #711 on: May 03, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
Should be a good test for the anchors though.  They've gone really deep and wide with the concrete bases of the footers so they should be fine.  Heard rumor that the amount of concrete that is having to be used has gone over initial projections and is one reason the project has been spread over 2 seasons.  It's supposed to be worth the wait though. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #712 on: May 07, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
Just when you think you got this thing figured out - they go and change things up again.
Take a look at what they did to the "mysterious double openings" this week.   ???

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/05/time-traveler-construction-sdc.html
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #713 on: May 07, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
What if they do this ride like Wildfire and have a maintenance room below the station with another area for train storage?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #714 on: May 07, 2017, 09:58:25 PM »
I will add to this, as I was just up there today. The old TNT queue line that was fenced off earlier this year has been removed and appears to be getting replaced with new footers in the process of being poured for the coaster brake run and a possible switch track area. (or simply being prepped for a new queue ramp to the new coaster station as I suspect they are keeping the TNT arch for the new ride)

Getting hard to get shots thru the trees but you can see the wood plank siding they added.

Wild Mountain? Huh?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:03:06 PM by sdcfan88 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 08, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
MAN!  this thing is taking huge amounts of concrete..   will be interetsing to see how "long" it is, as in how many feet long the track is...  covering a lot of area, and I am sure will be full of twists and turns....

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #716 on: May 08, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

It really looks like there was a design change or something for the facade. So much plywood has been taken back off, and the rods on top have been cut... Could have been the plan all along, but SDC is famous for starting projects and then cutting them back during construction.

Powderkeg had a bunch of special effects cut, such as the big splash affect/ water tunnel thing after the drop from the lift. TNT was originally supposed to be longer, I thought. Wildfire may have been the only ride that got a perfect station with all the bells and whistles, but I think they were originally planning to add some theming out around the track that got cut? And so on and so forth...

I'm not holding out for anything spectacular in the theming department on this ride anymore. Just doesn't seem like the signs are there, but I guess there is still lots of time.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 08, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
I'm not holding out for anything spectacular in the theming department on this ride anymore. Just doesn't seem like the signs are there, but I guess there is still lots of time.

I think your right about the theming, I think we will see heavy theming on west side, maybe south side, and of course some signage inside the building and along the Queue.  other than, i dont expect to see much.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 09, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »
Maybe not much theming after the station because the thing will be so visible from the road?

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
Great shots! Thanks for sharing.

It really looks like there was a design change or something for the facade. So much plywood has been taken back off, and the rods on top have been cut... Could have been the plan all along, but SDC is famous for starting projects and then cutting them back during construction.

Powderkeg had a bunch of special effects cut, such as the big splash affect/ water tunnel thing after the drop from the lift. TNT was originally supposed to be longer, I thought. Wildfire may have been the only ride that got a perfect station with all the bells and whistles, but I think they were originally planning to add some theming out around the track that got cut? And so on and so forth...

Unfortunately in construction - there are quite a few errors too. The general contractor is usually the only one with a full set of plans and then each "trade" get their own subset or sheets. I've been on so many projects where the contractor has called me out to look at an issue and I noticed they don't even have the right plan sheet for the project (no wonder they couldn't figure out their problem). Sometimes there is a communication issues and then sometimes there are just screw-ups. But as you mention there could be changes too...but I think those doors were a screw up more than a change (if they are indeed train storage/maintenance doors).

The "change" on TNT I remember is the final drop and rise was to be completely enclosed (after the lift was a dive into a mind shaft).

Jay