Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509718 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #690 on: April 25, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »
I'm not sure how many of you are aware of who(m) Carr Excavating is, but they are the local firm that does most of the work for SDC (and a lot of Branson project for that matter).  Long story short, they provided some photos from ONSITE of the construction and we have shared them on our website. 

The photos really do provide some needed clarity and also shows just how big these footers really are.
Take a look here.  I went ahead and attached the label Carr Excavating to all of those posts to the blog for easier viewing.

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/search/label/Carr%20Excavating
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 25, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »
Great pics Swoosh,  footers by new restrooms are huge, will be there saturday, try to get pics...

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #692 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
Whoa! I am curious to see if this will also include several tunnel elements and enclosures like TNT. I highly suspect with the amount of excavation going on it will.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:41:38 AM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 26, 2017, 06:11:20 AM »
I honestly think all of that excavating is for the footers.   There's no bedrock in this area so the footers are having to be bigger than normal to prevent eventual slippage due to settling.   They've learned a lot from PK.  They've had to go in numerous times over there to re secure footers to prevent slippage. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »
I honestly think all of that excavating is for the footers.   There's no bedrock in this area so the footers are having to be bigger than normal to prevent eventual slippage due to settling.   They've learned a lot from PK.  They've had to go in numerous times over there to re secure footers to prevent slippage.

Thats very true,,
I also wonder though, IF, since it is up in the "corner" of the project if there will be a big turn? Pivot? or something else. Those footers are obviously going to support some major weight

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 26, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »
Assuming we have more than three months before any official announcement and nearly a year prior to this new ride being open for the 2018 season, what I'm most curious about is whether or not what we see thus far is indicative of 100% of the ride's footprint. Clearly, just the excavating work and footer placement is accounting for the lion's share of the construction given the issue with little to no bedrock. But erecting the track and finish work shouldn't take that long. We've already been told this will be SDC's largest project to date..."by far". We've already discussed how this could be interpreted in various ways. I'm just wondering how much of the full picture is already in front of us.

Comparatively speaking, if you look at the satellite image of SDC, based on current footer placement, the physical footprint of this pending coaster looks like it would make it the smallest in terms of square footage, or acreage. Despite the fact that there's still an pretty sizable amount of land extending toward GE, I would assume all of the tree removal and major excavating work has been done in preparation for footer work and track. Or is it? Regardless, I realize the footprint isn't necessarily a perfect indicator of physical size given the fact that this ride could pack a lot of twisting and turning into a more confined layout. I will say, regardless of how this ride plays out, I am also worried as others have noted that it may take on a similar feel to that of WF with it being in a very bland and open surrounding environment. For me, that is the only thing that kept WF from being a special ride. The fact that they simply cleared a path and plopped a coaster in the empty space leaves much to be desired for me. With all of the tree removal that's already taken place at the new site, I just hope they don't wind up doing something similar.

I've always been hopeful that SDC would bring a hyper coaster to the park at some point, but based on what I'm seeing right now, I'm too confident that's even possible with what we're seeing thus far with this new ride. I'm excited nonetheless, but it's somewhat tempered given the current unknowns.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #696 on: April 26, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »

Still doesn't work with those other 2 openings that look like entries for transfer track.

You mean those two openings with a steel beam running across them?  Do tell.

Very curious indeed.  I notice that large steel beam they've added is also on a similar height to the wood beams crossing the other opening- actually has a wood beam at the same height level as what we agree should be the loading station.  Don't know if that's related or not.  It's just really hard to say at this point. 

Let's be honest- the way that it sits right now, that area with the two openings doesn't make a lot of sense compared to what we're used to if it's not maintenance bays or the queue- and it's not set up for that at all.  Really, it's nearly impossible right now to figure out where the queue is going to go to get in there.  There's no support structure to put the bay above the station, so that's not happening.  And below it I doubt as well since there are those wood beams crossing it just like in the other side two openings where they added the steel beam, which you can see pretty clear in http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/04/

The next few weeks are going to be revealing, I think, and let us see just how much all of us were wrong.  lol
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 26, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
Well those wooden beams were put in when they were framing.  I imagine they were being used to support the frames and will be removed once the flats are installed. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 26, 2017, 11:26:08 PM »
Will be there saturday, try to get pics...

Cool and thanks. This is a WOF update weekend for me so I was wondering how I was going to be able procure photos of this week's progress.  That'll work out great.  You might consider Sunday instead though due to weather. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 27, 2017, 07:47:52 AM »
@ Swoosh.  no problem can do both days if need be...

Any particular views? you prefer?...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 27, 2017, 06:55:27 PM »
The usual views are great.  You might peek over the wall by the new EH restrooms once it opens. 

Are you going to swing by the projects on the Strip too?
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 28, 2017, 07:56:59 AM »
Are you going to swing by the projects on the Strip too?

LOL.  Of course I am!..   Will for sure get pics of Bigfoot area, (which should be almost complete),  and the new mountain coaster..

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #702 on: April 28, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
I'm looking forward to it too. I love how quickly things are coming together right now. This station is transforming weekly, Bigfoot is almost done, and the new mountain coaster came completely out of nowhere and is almost finished. Next month is going to be pretty exciting.

Those excavation photos are a great find. Some of those footers are ridiculous even accounting for the bearing conditions. There are going to be some massive elements on this thing, but there's no telling what they could be yet.

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 30, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
Does anyone think there is ANY chance of this new ride going through Marvel cave or its tunnels?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #704 on: April 30, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »
Does anyone think there is ANY chance of this new ride going through Marvel cave or its tunnels?

Pretty sure there are laws protecting Missouri's caves
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating