Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509601 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #675 on: April 18, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
Unless we are missing something significant, it looks very hard to dispute that this coaster will be diving right out of the station. The shape of the openings at both ends of the building also seem consistent with the wider style trains found with dive or wing coasters. Those openings may mean nothing in terms of the style of actual trains that run through them, but we can only speculate based on what we can see right now. Regardless, I still don't believe this coaster will feature a spinning cars element.

Not sure if this has been shared here yet, or not, so my apologies if this is redundant, but see the video below of Helix. This is a $30 million Mack launch coaster opened in 2014 in Sweden. It also features a drop right out of the station, but not in a traditional "hold and dive" sense. Aside from the entire layout and ride experience looking phenomenal, the second launch element looks incredible. The theme is obviously the inverse of what we would ever see at SDC, but I could get on board with something like this in terms of the ride itself. Who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TRPu7zmQo

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 18, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »
Nice video,   Looks like that could easily be a "brother" to what SDC is getting..  I am not the coaster guru, that many of you are.  But the basics and logistics of the track running back and forth above and below other track....   yea, that could work.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #677 on: April 19, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
Unless we are missing something significant, it looks very hard to dispute that this coaster will be diving right out of the station. The shape of the openings at both ends of the building also seem consistent with the wider style trains found with dive or wing coasters. Those openings may mean nothing in terms of the style of actual trains that run through them, but we can only speculate based on what we can see right now. Regardless, I still don't believe this coaster will feature a spinning cars element.

While the station is wide, the other entries for the train into the maintenance area aren't.  Certainly not in a way that would allow winged coaster cars through those openings.  So it's not going to be a winged coaster or anything like that.  Even the openings for the track aren't built in such a way to support such coaster trains.

I'm agreed with you on the drop out of the station.  It sure looks like that's what they are designing, or close to it. I don't see anything that would indicate one way or the other on spinning cars though.  That we will have to wait and see on.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 21, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
The 1st pic is of what it looks like now. It looks like they made a line with a long 2x4 of where the switch track will go back to.

2nd pic, I outlined in red where the switch track will go, based on where the line is, where the loading track will be placed, and where the trains will be parked in the maintenance bay. The reason why I did this and posted it here is because if this will go the way I think it will, they are going to run out of room. The green line is where I am 90% sure the track will go for bringing the trains in. Yellow line, they could bring it in that way, but I see no footers or dirt moved to prove that it will. The problem is, I dont know of a way they are going to make this happen without running out of room. They could put the switch before the green line as it makes a 180° turn and run 3 tracks into the station, but that will cause headaches and take more time to bring out/put away trains. Does anybody have a theory of how this will work without running out of room, considering what work has been done and where the footers are?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:56:58 AM by Dewayne »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #679 on: April 21, 2017, 01:13:43 PM »
Could the final brake track rotate 90° and align with openings to put the trains away in the maintenance bays?   I honestly do not see another way to do it. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #680 on: April 21, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »
Dewaye, it's going to come around the "green" side next to TNT. They aren't going to run out of room lol. Some of the columns will be practically touching TNT by the looks of the footers. It's very much squeezed in.

I'm going to guess that there will be a switch track that lifts up or rotates to channel the cars down into the maintenance bay. Arrow did that on a few of their rides.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 23, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/04/time-traveler-construction-sdc_22.html

Looks like we have shingles going up on the side of the station now.
Also is there going to be a facade on the side facing the TNT queue?  Why else are there beams sticking above the roofline of the station?

Still say that the maintenance bay will be going BELOW the station.  I think those other two holes are for cosmetic purposes and when thematic elements get added here in the next few months it will make more sense.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 23, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »
So I did some searching and this is what I think the transfer track is going to be like for Time Traveler.  This is Pegasus at EuropaPark which is also built by MACK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOMVcfn0Hys
SWOOSH

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 23, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
It's possible it is for a facade.  But that is common to put boards up like that to steady the first truss untill they get all of them up and stabilized

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #684 on: April 23, 2017, 07:35:29 PM »
So I did some searching and this is what I think the transfer track is going to be like for Time Traveler.  This is Pegasus at EuropaPark which is also built by MACK.

Still doesn't work with those other 2 openings that look like entries for transfer track.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:20 PM »

Still doesn't work with those other 2 openings that look like entries for transfer track.

You mean those two openings with a steel beam running across them?  Do tell.

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #686 on: April 24, 2017, 08:50:28 PM »
I originally thought those two openings were going to be the entrance somehow with a big ramp up to them. Didn't see the steel beams at the time. I guess some sort of faux window/theming is the only thing they could be.

That raises the question again of where queue/entrance is going to be. Still seems like that general area is going to be queue, but perhaps there is going to be a small extension of the building somewhere that is yet to be built for the entrance. What I'd really like to see is a deck on the other side for observation - like Wildfire.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #687 on: April 24, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »
So if the storage is below the loading area, like Pegasus, would they be able to put two (or three) trains down there at the same time?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 24, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
I think a lot depends on how long the trains will be.  If this is a spinner, 4 pods is probably max length so they might be able to put two trains down there.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 25, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

You mean those two openings with a steel beam running across them?  Do tell.

I know you have a lot more inside knowledge than most of us, but the location of that steel beam looks to me like it would be there to support something heavy. A steel beam of that size usually isn't constructed to hold a façade, or window, etc........Now what is it going to support? I have no clue, could it be for maintenance track inside the building? Could it be there to support ramps? Anyhow in a short period of time (next couple of weeks) I think this will become clear...

Jay