Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509765 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #585 on: March 05, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »
Wild Mountain and Mountain Wings sound more like rides for Dollywood or Stone Mountain as they really play up the Mountain part at those parks and not so much at SDC. 

Some interesting guesses on the whole layout and type of coaster above.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
SWOOSH

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 05, 2017, 02:00:12 PM »
I wonder if they will enclose the coaster where it gets close to echo hollow

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 05, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
i wouldn't be at all let down if it turned out to be a non-inverting hyper coaster
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 05, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
Here you go!  Current pics from this weekend.  Took pics for the open gate area, as they were working on saturday..   there is some massive earth moving going there.. check pics., I tried to tell you what i was seeing on some of them..

Shave, Swoosh,  us any or all pics as you need to..

https://www.facebook.com/lorrie.crumb/media_set?set=a.10210756589902359.1073741934.1578260143&type=3&uploaded=19

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #589 on: March 05, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Looks like they are constructing a dive tunnel next to the station with those two big pits they dug out right there. That would be pretty cool.  :) Spinning Mack dive coaster? lol

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 05, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
Here you go!  Current pics from this weekend.  Took pics for the open gate area, as they were working on saturday..   there is some massive earth moving going there.. check pics., I tried to tell you what i was seeing on some of them..

Shave, Swoosh,  us any or all pics as you need to..

https://www.facebook.com/lorrie.crumb/media_set?set=a.10210756589902359.1073741934.1578260143&type=3&uploaded=19

Thanks sanddunerider - working on getting them on MiG now.  (also thanks for saving me a trip down - I was totally thinking of going myself until I heard you planned on going. ;) )
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 05, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »
So I was talking with Lance from Screamscape and we are both wondering if those stair step footers into that hole will be something like Oblivion or SheiKra.  Remember how all of the promo art in that survey mentioned a huge plunge.  Maybe this is it?
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 05, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »

Thanks sanddunerider - working on getting them on MiG now.  (also thanks for saving me a trip down - I was totally thinking of going myself until I heard you planned on going. ;) )

Your welcome!  I will be back in 3 weeks for Spring Break,   But by then there will be lots of pictures available.  I am anxious to see what can be seen with a zoom lense from the culinary back porch.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:25:54 PM by shavethewhales »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 05, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »
The best vantage point might be the TNT steps to the station.
SWOOSH

Sparky

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 06, 2017, 06:59:27 AM »

Seeing it from this perspective and without sounding like a complete nerd I am kinda really wondering about those tiny footers littered around the hillside if this ride might be something else completely. They seem to be in the same style as the ones seen on TNT or a wooden coaster. Those are not the large square footers of a traditional steel coaster. Would they really put in yet another wooden coaster back to back? Granted they might not yet be poured by the construction crew, but it wouldn't explain the smaller ones already there. Perhaps a Hybrid structure to fit with the 1880's theme? See example photos below.

Nothing wrong with being a coaster nerd around here.....I'd like to see more of us on here.

I doubt it is going to be a wooden structure....their would actually need to be a lot more footers to match that design.  Plus the potential lift structure wouldn't fit with any traditional woodie builds. 

It is really a pretty good mystery at this point what that layout could be and what type of ride it is.

I'm still wondering if the land work is done.  Will there be anymore structures build for theming/tunnels?

FYI The footer is always buried underground. The square or round concrete that you see above ground is a column that is attached to the footer.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 06, 2017, 07:41:47 AM »

FYI The footer is always buried underground. The square or round concrete that you see above ground is a column that is attached to the footer.

Thanks, pretty sure most of realize that.  To those who dont know or understand that, think about an Iceberg..the biggest portion is under water where you cant see it..  same thing with a footer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:26:03 PM by shavethewhales »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 06, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »
Obviously still anyone's best guess on so many things, but based on the orientation of the footers and what looks to be the station, this is looking an awful lot like it has the unmistakable signature of a dive coaster. All of that digging just in front of the structure and the presence of just a couple of massive footers tiered along the drop seem to signal a nearly straight vertical drop.

I would also like to speculate that the actual loading platform looks like it may live somewhere in the middle of the current structure, but the initial drop will come from the same structure, but well above. Anxious to see if the structure continues to grow, or if it's reached its zenith. I'm also speculating that at least some portion of this ride will travel through darkness, be it tunnel(s) and/or inside a structure including, but not necessarily limited to the structure housing the station. Loving the new possibilities the recent news story and aerial photos have opened for our discussion.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #597 on: March 06, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »
It would be very cool if this had a vertical drop. The concept artwork didn't seem to call it out as such, but it's definitely something they could have glossed over to save up for a surprise. Doesn't seem like they are preparing to form any steel around that pit though, so if it does have one it'll be exposed - just coaster track and supports. It's still early, but it doesn't look like my hopes for enclosed areas will be fulfilled on this one. Who knows though...

In one of those pits it looks like they are simply backfilling... could be that they hit a void. Happens all the time around here.

I must have been wrong in my assumption about the layout of the station. Looks like the actual loading area is on the EH side judging by the opening they formed. I'm guessing the area being enclosed in those photos is the maintenance level. Still trying to figure out where the queue will go, but I'm guessing by next week it will be more obvious when we see the other side and they fill in a bit more.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 07, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Whatever is in the works, I sincerely hope it's been designed to eclipse the 200 ft mark in terms of height and/or drop. That alone would be a real game changer and draw to the park. Really excited about the possibilities around the theming for this as well. In terms of what the article eluded to with this being SDC's biggest addition "by far", I wonder if Lisa was referring to the investment, the magnitude of the attraction itself, or both?

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 11, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
Tower view from inside SDC