Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509659 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #570 on: February 23, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »
lol, I wonder if the gate was planned that way or if it's just them reacting to your drive-bys.

This station is going to tower over everything even though it's halfway down the hill fro the park itself. They definitely wanted to keep the station, maintenance, and everything else contained in a small footprint due to the topography. I'm just hoping there's room for details.

I dont know, but i would think secruity...  the park will be open in 3 weeks and everybody will be able to see whats going on from the Culinary building ;D

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #571 on: February 24, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
With the size of that building it makes me wonder if it is gonna have an elevator lift directly from the loading platform followed by launch? Something similar to Powderkeg? That would be pretty cool to see.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 24, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »
lol, I wonder if the gate was planned that way or if it's just them reacting to your drive-bys.

This station is going to tower over everything even though it's halfway down the hill fro the park itself. They definitely wanted to keep the station, maintenance, and everything else contained in a small footprint due to the topography. I'm just hoping there's room for details.

I dont know, but i would think secruity...  the park will be open in 3 weeks and everybody will be able to see whats going on from the Culinary building ;D

AND of course from TNT!!!,    and Echo Hollow seats... 

straightshooter

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2017, 01:02:35 PM »
Silver Dollar City confirms 'single biggest thing ever done' is under construction

Aerial shots...

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/business/2017/03/03/silver-dollar-city-confirms-single-biggest-thing-ever-done-under-construction/98496960/

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 03, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »
that is a good picture, kind of puts what i have been seeing into prospective.... 

massive project....  wow.!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #575 on: March 03, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
Those are some great shots in that article, thanks for bringing it to our attention. SDC is turning on they hype machine - I wonder what else they have cooked up leading into the reveal...

LOL @ "BARKE" though. That would be almost hilarious if this ended up being a Lucky themed coaster.

The footprint on the station is now visible. Kinda looks like it will drop out of the station into that ravine?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #576 on: March 03, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »

Seeing it from this perspective and without sounding like a complete nerd I am kinda really wondering about those tiny footers littered around the hillside if this ride might be something else completely. They seem to be in the same style as the ones seen on TNT or a wooden coaster. Those are not the large square footers of a traditional steel coaster. Would they really put in yet another wooden coaster back to back? Granted they might not yet be poured by the construction crew, but it wouldn't explain the smaller ones already there. Perhaps a Hybrid structure to fit with the 1880's theme? See example photos below.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:28:19 PM by sdcfan88 »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 03, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »
Wow, great article and the aerial views really show how massive of a project this is. Kinda worried about "Barke" and "Top Dog..." although I won't jump to any conclusions. Just seems weird is all I'm saying.

I think we are in for a major surprise.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 03, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
I will be down this weekend 1 more time for fresh pics from the hiway...   Last ones before the park opens for the season.. hoping to get closeups of the Super Structure..

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #579 on: March 03, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
Wow, great article and the aerial views really show how massive of a project this is. Kinda worried about "Barke" and "Top Dog..." although I won't jump to any conclusions. Just seems weird is all I'm saying.

I think we are in for a major surprise.

Red herrings?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #580 on: March 03, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »
Those are definitely not wooden coaster footers...

Keep in mind that spread footings are custom designed based on soil conditions and the individual calculated factored loads for that particular segment. I haven't watched closely, but I'm sure these are more pier-based footers vs. typical spread footings. I know they are working in an area with a lot of voids and caves, so they are probably deeper than they look and go into rock. Also, the aerial view distorts how big these things actually are. Some of them are huge.

It would be fun to be surprised though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 03, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »
Those are definitely not wooden coaster footers...

Keep in mind that spread footings are custom designed based on soil conditions and the individual calculated factored loads for that particular segment. I haven't watched closely, but I'm sure these are more pier-based footers vs. typical spread footings. I know they are working in an area with a lot of voids and caves, so they are probably deeper than they look and go into rock. Also, the aerial view distorts how big these things actually are. Some of them are huge.

It would be fun to be surprised though.

True..  and I know some of the footing that i saw while taking pics were done this way:.    Ground excavated 5-8 feet, footing poured, the forms stripped, then dirt moved back in around footing..  So they my be 6-10 feet deep and you would never be able to tell it by looking at them...  case in point, check my pics, see the big footings next to TNT? they are 6-10 feet deep easy and exposed for now, but will be buried later.....

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 04, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »

Seeing it from this perspective and without sounding like a complete nerd I am kinda really wondering about those tiny footers littered around the hillside if this ride might be something else completely. They seem to be in the same style as the ones seen on TNT or a wooden coaster. Those are not the large square footers of a traditional steel coaster. Would they really put in yet another wooden coaster back to back? Granted they might not yet be poured by the construction crew, but it wouldn't explain the smaller ones already there. Perhaps a Hybrid structure to fit with the 1880's theme? See example photos below.

Nothing wrong with being a coaster nerd around here.....I'd like to see more of us on here.

I doubt it is going to be a wooden structure....their would actually need to be a lot more footers to match that design.  Plus the potential lift structure wouldn't fit with any traditional woodie builds. 

It is really a pretty good mystery at this point what that layout could be and what type of ride it is.

I'm still wondering if the land work is done.  Will there be anymore structures build for theming/tunnels?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #583 on: March 04, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
It is interesting.  If you look at these two photos- the work area and what some are thinking it is going to be:

I'm not sure that it totally lines up.  There seems to be more footers spread around, including looking like a possible turn around some of the trees, than the steel coaster in the image.  While the footers are all grouped at one end, essentially in both, the patterns and quantity have a pretty big variety.

It's certainly got me wondering.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 05, 2017, 12:13:34 AM »
Apparently the journalist isn't quite up to speed about how to read trademark filings. When I read the article, I was confused by them saying "Top Dog" and "Barke" were filed under the same category as "Time Traveler" because I had just looked up & read the trademark filings a couple weeks ago after we got wind of the "Time Traveler" filing.

So I just went and looked up the trademarks from Herschend again, and I was right; "Top Dog" and "Barke" are not listed under "roller coaster."

"Top Dog" has two filings, one under each of the following categories; "Barke" has a single filing with both of the following listed in the one filing:

1) "Amusement park and theme park services; Animation production services; Book publishing; Entertainment services in the nature of live stage show performances in the nature of plays and performances in the form of musical theater; Magazine publishing; Publication of children's books; Publishing books in the field of motion pictures, television shows and multimedia entertainment content; Entertainment services in the nature of development, creation, production and post-production services of multimedia entertainment content; Entertainment services in the nature of development, creation, production, distribution, and post-production of motion pictures, television shows and multimedia entertainment content featuring animation"

2) "Visual recordings and audiovisual recordings featuring music and animation related to a costumed character"

Now what IS interesting is that there are two new filings.

"Wild Mountain" was filed on February 14, 2017. "Mountain Wings" was filed on February 16, 2017. Both are under the category "ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES IN THE NATURE OF AN AMUSEMENT PARK RIDE, NAMELY, A ROLLER COASTER".

Now THOSE could perhaps be red herrings....?