Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509617 times)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #510 on: January 23, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
Geez, whats next, are they gonna tear down Snow White's Castle?

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
I always try to give SDC and the PTB the benefit of the doubt. While the trademark info Swoosh shared last week doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, the linkage with the ride concept that was floated last year really worries me from a thematic standpoint. It feels more connected to the major thematic miss of Grand Exposition than the general theme SDC has always sold. I totally understand a mere trademark filing means nothing is written in stone, but I personally hope they don't blow the theming of this new attraction with a major addition that feels completely off-brand from SDC's thematic roots. If this is the name, and it winds up matching what was described in the concept art from last year's survey, I think you can kiss SDC as we know it goodbye. I personally don't feel they've let us down with the attention to detail that's gone into the last several major attractions. However, for me, regardless of detail, suddenly having elements of Ancient Rome thrown in the middle of a 19th century theme park could signal the beginning of an anything goes era for the park. Here's hoping I'm way wrong about it all. I love the idea, but if executed the way it was proposed below, it could be a real shame.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »
I think it sounds funny.   "Suspiciously handcrafted,""all sales final", "no refunds."  Another crazy inventor in SDC.  It's like the 1880s' Silicon Valley.  They could have a live performer getting fed to an atrociously bad steam-powered "automalocomotive" lion. 

But it absolutely should be self contained and hidden.  Besides, the theme would be blown otherwise. I'm excited for this.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 23, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
Sounds like some "steampunk theme" may be involved also..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »
I always try to give SDC and the PTB the benefit of the doubt. While the trademark info Swoosh shared last week doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, the linkage with the ride concept that was floated last year really worries me from a thematic standpoint. It feels more connected to the major thematic miss of Grand Exposition than the general theme SDC has always sold. I totally understand a mere trademark filing means nothing is written in stone, but I personally hope they don't blow the theming of this new attraction with a major addition that feels completely off-brand from SDC's thematic roots. If this is the name, and it winds up matching what was described in the concept art from last year's survey, I think you can kiss SDC as we know it goodbye. I personally don't feel they've let us down with the attention to detail that's gone into the last several major attractions. However, for me, regardless of detail, suddenly having elements of Ancient Rome thrown in the middle of a 19th century theme park could signal the beginning of an anything goes era for the park. Here's hoping I'm way wrong about it all. I love the idea, but if executed the way it was proposed below, it could be a real shame.

You do get that is a "snake-oil" salesman and not actually actual Rome, right?   People trying to scam others were quite common during this era as technology was advancing faster than could be documented.  This is not off theme. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 23, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
I think it sounds funny.   "Suspiciously handcrafted,""all sales final", "no refunds."  Another crazy inventor in SDC.  It's like the 1880s' Silicon Valley.  They could have a live performer getting fed to an atrociously bad steam-powered "automalocomotive" lion. 
Walt Disney World tried there hand at this "Sideshow Theme" and it has a coaster.  Its at the Animal Kingdom and it frankly is a scab that really needs to be picked away.  They did a spinning coaster as well,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvp-7UZ1NA

This is the richest company in the theme park business, I hope that SDC takes a lesson from this card board cut out mistake.  They really need to do this right or don't do it.  I still think the audience is wrong and so limited for the investment.  I always thought when you broke 18 you were done with spinning.....lol

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #516 on: January 23, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »
^That was always such a head scratcher... why would Disney try to pass off a stock model fun fair coaster as a premier attraction at their big new park? Maybe someone got a bonus for cutting costs. If they had gone with a custom layout, specially designed, expertly themed spinning coaster instead though we'd be singing a very different tune.

Like I think I said before, it all comes down to implementation. It's a daring theme and whether or not it "works" with the rest of the park will come down to how the details are managed. This is a park that has a good history of theming and managing details well, so the odds are looking good for it to be pulled off well. I'm sure they won't build a collesium right at the entrance.

It IS something that belongs at SDC though. It fits right in with inventive themes like Dr. Horatio Harris' Wildfire, the American Daredevil Society (or whatever the exact name is), the flooded prison mine, etc... The best rides are the ones that can really sell a story to go along with it, IMO.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 23, 2017, 07:49:58 PM »
Could be fixed seats, could be wildly spinning, or it could be a huge surprise and be a completely different concept altogether.

I'm pretty positive most people's hunch is correct though: elements of tech seen on Cobra's Curse will be seen on this ride so that it is a hybrid between CC and what is seen on that video. Likely to be regulated spinning, but that's just the popular hunch at the moment. 

The ability to control seats so they face a certain way during thematic elements just blows open the door to endless possibilities though. With the fun theme they've picked, this could be the most detailed coaster since FiTH.

Please have a short video on a projector in the ride with the theming.

Choices are always a good thing, but I hope it has surprizes too that we dont see coming.

Sounds like some "steampunk theme" may be involved also..

Did someone say steampunk?!?!?! Steampunk is always a good thing. Aint nothing wrong with steampunk!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:51:53 PM by Dewayne »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #518 on: January 23, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
Walt Disney World tried there hand at this "Sideshow Theme" and it has a coaster.  Its at the Animal Kingdom and it frankly is a scab that really needs to be picked away.  They did a spinning coaster as well,

This is the richest company in the theme park business, I hope that SDC takes a lesson from this card board cut out mistake.  They really need to do this right or don't do it.  I still think the audience is wrong and so limited for the investment.  I always thought when you broke 18 you were done with spinning.....lol

The dinosaur area is the GE of the Magic Kingdom, but much worse.  It does look like Rome would be propped up haphazardly like in a street fair.  I get the snake oil idea, but I think that would only work in GE, and not in the park proper.  I already feel like I'm leaving SDC when I cross the threshold of the GE.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »

The dinosaur area is the GE of the Magic Kingdom, but much worse.  It does look like Rome would be propped up haphazardly like in a street fair.  I get the snake oil idea, but I think that would only work in GE, and not in the park proper.  I already feel like I'm leaving SDC when I cross the threshold of the GE.

You feel like you're leaving SDC when you enter FR because you are.  It's not SDC, it's an Exposition set up at the outskirts of the City. 
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:21 PM »
Swoosh, IMHO, your point about GE's connection/thematic purpose is way too esoteric. I don't think the general public connects those dots. Then again, perhaps not enough people among the general public even care enough either way. In any case, yes, I understand the time traveler theme, but for the very same reasons, I think it could be a disjointed theme depending on the execution. I sincerely hope not as I love the idea and have always been fascinated with the subject. As the concept art illustrates roman relics, I simply hope they are very conscious of theme continuity if this in fact the direction they are going. Time travel or not, snake oil salesman, Dr. Horatio's mad cousin, or otherwise, I personally would be disappointed to see anything outside of the period regardless of the "story" intended to be told. Setting the stage with theming and a story as you approach and wind through the queue is one thing, but I wouldn't want to be flying through ancient roman columns on the wooded hillside of an 1880's theme park is all I'm saying. Like I said to open my earlier post, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, the concept art just makes me a little nervous.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »
Esoteric or not, that's how GE was pitched on the storyboards at the media/press event.
You won't see the Roman cut outs from the park.  Maybe if you look the right way while riding TNT.  The station will feel like it is part of the city with some decor advertising his "invention"
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2017, 03:34:39 AM »
If they are indeed going with a time traveling theme maybe they will include a time traveling steam train and create another scientist character and hire someone that is similar to the likeness of Christopher Lloyd to represent him just to annoy Universal Studios. lol  ::)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:22:20 PM by sdcfan88 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »

Like I think I said before, it all comes down to implementation. It's a daring theme and whether or not it "works" with the rest of the park will come down to how the details are managed. This is a park that has a good history of theming and managing details well, so the odds are looking good for it to be pulled off well. I'm sure they won't build a collesium right at the entrance.

It IS something that belongs at SDC though. It fits right in with inventive themes like Dr. Horatio Harris' Wildfire, the American Daredevil Society (or whatever the exact name is), the flooded prison mine, etc... The best rides are the ones that can really sell a story to go along with it, IMO.

^^ Completely agree....if done correctly (which SDC seems to do 99% of the time)...this theme can comfortably fit into the corky Ozark inventor type of scenario that has already been done....and gives them a tons of flexibility to create a story and they could actually make the scenes/theming very campy/cheesy and get away with it because it will be part of the charm.   
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 24, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
They know how to execute. And I love the thought and detail they put into their last few additions. Just hoping when all is said and done, this one proves to be another home run like OR. I think they absolutely knocked it out of the park from concept to theming and of course the ride experience itself. If they can find any way to top it, we're all in for something special. Also anxious to have something significant on that side of the park that may help balance the crowds a bit more and possibly even relieve some of the wait times for OR, PK and WF on busier days. I bet TNT will be seeing longer lives when its new neighbor opens. I can see lots of residual ridership for people not wanting to exhaust waiting for the new ride.