Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509820 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2016, 08:02:19 PM »
Get ready for a world's first.   The park is expecting a huge rise in attendance in 2018.  So much so, sounds like they're expanding the parking again.  Good bye to the rest of that mountain

As I noted earlier...Wouldn't be at all surprised for the debut of the world's first T-REX to grace SDC.

Everything is pointing to a spinning Mack version of a Infinity coaster though.
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2016, 08:57:17 PM »
Get ready for a world's first.   The park is expecting a huge rise in attendance in 2018.  So much so, sounds like they're expanding the parking again.  Good bye to the rest of that mountain

As I noted earlier...Wouldn't be at all surprised for the debut of the world's first T-REX to grace SDC.

Everything is pointing to a spinning Mack version of a Infinity coaster though.

Yeah even though the debacle with Lightning Rod is probably not RMC's fault. The GP will still associate them with the bad publicity the ride has gotten which I think will be why HFEC is probably gonna shy away from them for a while after this.

Looking up some of their previous coaster designs from both Mack & GerstLauer this is probably something in the ballpark of what we could expect to see take shape next year for a 2018 debut.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:58:38 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »
^lol, The GP don't know who RMC is, or even what Lightning Rod is. That's kinda what separates 'GP' from enthusiasts... Who else is going to know about the latest coasters and who manufactured them? Whether or not they go back to RMC some day has to do with HFEC corporate and whether or not they think it's worth it compared to their other options.

All we know is that they've looked heavily into this extreme spinning coaster concept with emphasis on a big drop. Past year's experience means that's almost certainly what they are actually building. I don't know that the Smiler (the photo you posted) will be too indicative since it's an "infinity coaster" and this will be some variant of their spinning coaster. Cobra's Curse is the one to look at, but apparently this one will be more extreme?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »
The GP might not - but the media will.  Don't think for a minute the media wouldn't jump on the fact that the last RMC coaster was doged with delays.  That's what they do. Make a story out of nothing. 
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
Perhaps I am very biased, butI believe anything spinning involving a coaster will be a monumental miss. Even if they add partial cars with a no spin option, I just don't believe a spinning coaster will appeal to the masses. And call it a first all you want, but I don't see a spinning coaster of any kind one that's going to drive attendance through the roof if and when it would open. That type of coaster just doesn't cater to a broad enough demographic. I pray their research has proven the spinning concept is limiting and just too big of a gamble to make. Seems like a gimmick versus just concentrating on bringing in a kick ass coaster from a trusted vendor with a very intelligently planned circuit and theme. There's no need for more. I would take almost any other type of coaster than see millions invested in nothing but a puke train that just loses consumer interest regularly over time.

If you can't tell, I'm nervous and disappointed we're even speculating this type of coaster could be coming. 

And speaking of Lightning Rod, I'm pretty sure the issues that stalled it's debut were related to the launch mechanism. And if I'm not mistaken, that launch system wasn't designed or built by RMC so I'm not sure why the perception would be that RMC was to blame for the delayed opening. I know there was a part recalled shortly after it finally opened, but that was rectified pretty quickly.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:37:10 PM by BackInTime9 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:46 PM »
We get it. You don't like spinners. 

RMC hired the company that did the launch.  It's on them.
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2016, 07:58:40 AM »
I don't want a spinner either....

I wouldn't be afraid of another RMC....it's not like they haven't built 12 other coasters the last couple of years without LR issues.  They make amazing coasters and I'd take 5 of them at SDC....lol.

I'll say it again....most Mack coasters I've seen look amazing.....I just hope it has an option not to spin!!! 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
We get it. You don't like spinners. 

Correct. And I would say that has also been the consensus on this board as well. Not that readership or contributors here necessarily represent the full spectrum, but it does beg the question why they would even be entertaining the spinning concept.

So the next question is will they wait until a year from now to make any kind of announcement hinting toward, or announcing the ride? Would there not be value in making one huge announcement this Fall about improvements for 2017 and construction already underway on a major coaster addition for 2018? With earthwork already happening around EH and TNT, I don't understand how their could be anything less that great marketing/PR value in planting the seed with an announcement and riding the wave of interest it will hopefully generate.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:58:06 AM by BackInTime9 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2016, 02:18:24 PM »
Yeah but the consensus of this board means Jack. That same consensus whined about Outlaw Run going upside down when the artwork was released and now look at it. 

Continually posting about how you don't want a spinner will not change what the coaster is, it only clogs up the thread. 

No they will not make an announcement on 2018 this season. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »
Yeah but the consensus of this board means Jack.

...and Pete.

No they will not make an announcement on 2018 this season.

A premature announcement about the 2018 season would only serve to stifle 2017 season pass sales.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2016, 07:53:10 PM »

A premature announcement about the 2018 season would only serve to stifle 2017 season pass sales.

While that may or may not actually be true, I'd be willing to bet that's how the park looks at it.  When I was working there during the construction of Outlaw Run it took them forever to even admit they were building it, even though it was obvious.  When I asked, this was the reason given for not saying anything- because they didn't want people to stop coming and instead wait til the next year when the new ride was open.

Frankly I thought it was silly, as they could use the time to build anticipation and publicity, but the PTB more than likely will see it how History Buff put it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2016, 10:06:26 PM »
Yeah but the consensus of this board means Jack. That same consensus whined about Outlaw Run going upside down when the artwork was released and now look at it. 

Continually posting about how you don't want a spinner will not change what the coaster is, it only clogs up the thread. 

My point was if that is the consensus here, I have a hard time believing a GP survey would reveal anything significantly different. It wasn't whining, just merely reiterating a point.

And I haven't scratched the surface of clogging any thread on this board comparatively speaking so please don't go there.

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »
He likes to try and dictate what people can and cannot talk about.  Pretty amusing considering how many of his verifications are wrong and then the "plans change" card is played.  He actually arguged that OR didn't have the dip at the top of the lift hill as it was built stating that it was an optical illusion.  So, post away.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2016, 10:44:17 PM »
You two (and several others) take the Internet (and especially this forum)way too seriously. 
The amount of posters on here that get butthurt by what I post is humorous and flattering.  If you haven't figured it out by now, this board is just a playground for me.  Very rarely am I being serious with my posts.  Yes I troll people because it's fun to see how they'll respond.  Life is way too serious to not have fun online.  Let your hair down, take the stick out of your rear and get over it. 

And to whatever your name is, things do change quite often at SDC. It's one of the most consistent things that happens there.  Information from 2nd hand sources can be a crap shoot. Doesn't mean that the information is completely wrong, it could mean it's just outdated.  The most infuriating thing going on right now is whether or not FM will last to see its 50th.  If you ask the man, depends on the day. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:06:18 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2016, 08:03:24 AM »
By the way......I hope it doesn't spin  :P
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"