Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509788 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »
A few important points to mention that jumped out at me. First, concept #2 makes no specific reference to anything spinning at all, nor does the concept art indicate so. Second, did anyone else not pick up on the one consistent element in each of the concept renderings? The same tower is shown in all three. Anyone else think it bears any resemblance to the old WB tower that's been sitting curiously unused for years now?

Lastly, there's no mention of wording suggesting a record-breaking, first of its kind, or an overly intense ride experience.

All things considered, I could just as easily see this being our version of Firechaser Express. And there's still room to add this as a family-centric anchor to FL. Not to mention, if part of the long term plan is to raze FM, it could provide more real estate near there to utilize for the circuit, or a heavily themed entrance/queue/exit area.

Just saying. Anything is still possible and I don't put an ounce of stock into any guarantees that a spinner of some sort is a forgone conclusion. It may seem trendy at the moment, but the PTB have to know how risky it would be to add an attraction with such a limited demographic appeal. And the bigger they would make it, the risk increases along with it. 

There's inherent risk associated with anything they change, or add. However, I just cannot see them investing 10's of millions of dollars on something like this. They've seen first hand the value in bringing something like OR to the park. A record-breaking attraction that's thoughtfully planned and executed to the point of moving the SDC brand needle well outside of a 250 mile radius.

It's my hope that they've taken that learning to heart and are in the midst of applying it for their next major attraction.

I can't imagine them testing the focus group waters now with possible ride and concept art that's already slated to be added to the park in the next 6-18 months – let alone an attraction they've already broken ground for. The timing just doesn't make sense for 2017 or '18. But that's just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:24:23 PM by BackInTime9 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »
A few important points to mention that jumped out at me. First, concept #2 makes no specific reference to anything spinning at all, nor does the concept art indicate so. Second, did anyone else not pick up on the one consistent element in each of the concept renderings? The same tower is shown in all three. Anyone else think it bears any resemblance to the old WB tower that's been sitting curiously unused for years now?

Lastly, there's no mention of wording suggesting a record-breaking, first of its kind, or an overly intense ride experience.

All things considered, I could just as easily see this being our version of Firechaser Express. And there's still room to add this as a family-centric anchor to FL. Not to mention, if part of the long term plan is to raze FM, it could provide more real estate near there to utilize for the circuit, or a heavily themed entrance/queue/exit area.

Just saying. Anything is still possible and I don't put an ounce of stock into any guarantees that a spinner of some sort is a forgone conclusion. It may seem trendy at the moment, but the PTB have to know how risky it would be to add an attraction with such a limited demographic appeal. And the bigger they would make it, the risk increases along with it. 

There's inherent risk associated with anything they change, or add. However, I just cannot see them investing 10's of millions of dollars on something like this. They've seen first hand the value in bringing something like OR to the park. A record-breaking attraction that's thoughtfully planned and executed to the point of moving the SDC brand needle well outside of a 250 mile radius.

It's my hope that they've taken that learning to heart and are in the midst of applying it for their next major attraction.

I can't imagine them testing the focus group waters now with ride and concept art that's slated to be added to the park in the next 6-18 months. The timing just doesn't make sense for 2017 or '18 for that matter. But that's just my humble opinion.

The train looks a lot like a Mack Spinner Train , roundish. I think they wanting to see if folks comment on lime #2 the best and see if they mention  making it spin. One concept had Launched in as well. Given the rumors on cost a typical themed up Mack doesn't add up but a launched Blue Fire type coaster with spinning cars would
https://youtu.be/BfL4tzTuBzc

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »
God I hope not. I love coasters, but I cannot think of anything more unpleasant than a ride so disorienting it makes me feel like my dirty laundry being spun and tossed about. 

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
A heavily themed (#2 option) "Blue Fire"-like Mack coaster that has the hybrid trains with both traditional floorless seats and a 'spinning' train....would be epic!!!!  With the ride elements design.....that could cause me to sign up for a 5 year pass....lol  That really could be a special ride that they could market as being a 'first of its kind' here in the US. 

I'd also be happy with a non-spinning Firechaser Express type of ride with either option 1 or 2.  If it's not a mega-type of thrill ride I'd like it to be as family friendly as possible.

Full disclosure - I've never rode an actual spinning coaster ride - but my experiences with spinning flat rides tell me I'm not going to be wanting to ride it more than once a visit.  One spinning ride a visit always seems to be enough for me this days.  When I had to do multiple spinning rides with the littles ones around GE....I started to not like them as much.....I'm glad they are tall enough to go by themselves now.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
A heavily themed (#2 option) "Blue Fire"-like Mack coaster that has the hybrid trains with both traditional floorless seats and a 'spinning' train....would be epic!!!!  With the ride elements design.....that could cause me to sign up for a 5 year pass....lol  That really could be a special ride that they could market as being a 'first of its kind' here in the US. 

I'd also be happy with a non-spinning Firechaser Express type of ride with either option 1 or 2.  If it's not a mega-type of thrill ride I'd like it to be as family friendly as possible.

Full disclosure - I've never rode an actual spinning coaster ride - but my experiences with spinning flat rides tell me I'm not going to be wanting to ride it more than once a visit.  One spinning ride a visit always seems to be enough for me this days.  When I had to do multiple spinning rides with the littles ones around GE....I started to not like them as much.....I'm glad they are tall enough to go by themselves now.

the video is proof it can be done two stationary , two spinning  and call it day, though I like the China Hyper with the super loop. Maybe. Spinning train and a statonary train thought that would really complicate the queue.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »
the video is proof it can be done two stationary , two spinning  and call it day
This will cause me to buy another pass, strictly spinning is not for me.  I have been on them and even the one at Disney is not that fun.  The spinning takes away from the predictability of the rides moves and although that may appeal to some I prefer to "feel" the elements instead of be disoriented and frankly that's all the spinning does.   There already are tea cups, no need to put then on a track with wheels  hills and curves,  just leave them where they are and call it good, move on to something new.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
^Very much agreed. I think SDC is better than that to go on with this spinning teacup coaster fad. They got the Teacups and Electrospin which both serve their purpose as a railed or moving spinning ride. They only have 4 major coasters and it would be a waste to add this silly gimmick to their 5th. At least exclusively. Plus they will be limiting their demographic for this ride as it is common knowledge that people prefer a traditional coaster over a coaster with moving seats. They better go the Blue Fire route with the hybrid train if they were wise about designing and marketing this.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
Plus they will be limiting their demographic for this ride as it is common knowledge that people prefer a traditional coaster over a coaster with moving seats.

That seems a little hyperbole to me, but I assume you have stats to back that claim up, right?

I wonder if this won't be a Cobra's Curse style coaster where it has a section going forward, backwards and then free spin.  The only thing that goes against that is the back-to-back seats in the concept art but who knows how early in the process they were created.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2016, 08:25:43 AM »
^Very much agreed. I think SDC is better than that to go on with this spinning teacup coaster fad. They got the Teacups and Electrospin which both serve their purpose as a railed or moving spinning ride. They only have 4 major coasters and it would be a waste to add this silly gimmick to their 5th. At least exclusively. Plus they will be limiting their demographic for this ride as it is common knowledge that people prefer a traditional coaster over a coaster with moving seats. They better go the Blue Fire route with the hybrid train if they were wise about designing and marketing this.

If this is suppose to be record breaking and this and that and it's supposed to be a German manufacturer it has to be a Mack in my book. Looking at area cleared, I'm trying to figure out how much is for Echo Hollow and how much is for the ride but looking at it tells my it's more than a run of mill coated like Sierra Sidewinder so that why I think it's a Blue Fire like ride. The posted video on the ginormous looper in China is a classic out and back and that isn't happen here as nothing has happened across the road. Maybe we are in for a two fer, a Mack spinner now and a Mack Hyper in three or 4 years.

As for common knowledge, lots of parks have added spinners recently, small to major, it's called ride diversification. Kids love to spin  while parents moan about it online.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »
Kids love to spin  while parents moan about it online

Most of SDC season is while school is in session.  So this may not work to drive
attendance when the kiddies are busy.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
Kids love to spin  while parents moan about it online

Most of SDC season is while school is in session.  So this may not work to drive
attendance when the kiddies are busy.

And the folks going while school is in session aren't major coaster riders period. The bread and butter that keeps the gates open are families with  whippersnappers.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »
Keep in mind that the park isn't crazy: they know what people will probably like and what is marketable. If this ride is indeed a "spinner", I have a feeling it won't really be comparable to the true spinning coasters you see at Six Flags and WOF. If it has the huge drop and who knows what else, it will probably be controlled or slow spinning. I'm sure it will be fun. SDC is usually pretty careful with their coasters despite pushing the limits.

No sign of how it will truly impact the area inside the park yet though, which is what I will really worry about. It'll probably be an improvement though, probably.

Here's my latest update from what I could get yesterday: http://sdcfans.com/clearing-continues-on-apparent-new-coaster-project/

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2016, 02:34:04 AM »
So I decided to do some additional research into Mack Rides and stumbled upon their Facebook page.

Check out that cover photo, makes me wonder. That would definitely be something different to warrant national attention if they did some kind of variant of this. Wished there was a description as to where and what coaster this is.

EDIT: (video in link)

Found it! The level of theming with this ride is very well done. And it does have optional spinning which would serve as a better multi-demographic pleaser. While the entry apparently classifies it is a "powered coaster" who says they couldn't be able to modify one to be a traditional inverted coaster? It would definitely be a first I believe. On a side note, SDC should have Mack refurb FITH and FM with that level of sophistication with the dark ride elements seen here.
http://www.mack-rides.com/en/products/coasters/inverted-powered-coaster/video/index.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:19:59 AM by sdcfan88 »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2016, 03:06:39 AM »
That looks to be the Arthur and the Invisibles ride. I've watched on-ride videos of that one before, and it's AMAZING. I would be SO down with SDC getting one of those!

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »
Theme number 2 seems to be the only acceptable option IMO.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.