Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 509753 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
Well folks, this is definitely going to a teacup spinner.  I am not sure if anyone on the board will get the survey but there is one going around right now that has three possible themes for the coaster and EVERY SINGLE CONCEPT has a teacup spinner coaster cart.  Now from what I am hearing, it will be a train of 4 cars that seat 4 people each (2 back to back).  There will be some massive drops on this ride as all 3 concepts show a large hill.  I'll see if I can get access to the concepts and post them here later tonight. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
Here are the concepts

SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »
Thanks Swoosh.  Was hoping the rodeo one would include the Buffalo Bill concept but they seem to have dropped that.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »
Well while it was still not what I was hoping for, but if we have to choose, I think the Mining Theme (#2) will be the best one to execute and theme. Hopefully the spinning of the cars can be controlled so this does not wind up being a puke machine.

I just hope this is done better than the various Tony Hawk Spinners. AKA Pandemonium clones at various SF parks.

#1 seems kinda neat but it would need to be tweaked a lot on the styling and execution that is presented here. I would love to see a return of Doc. Harris since they seemed to have eliminated him from the park in recent years.

#3 needs to stay over by Wilsons Farm and seems far too generic for my taste.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:16:16 PM by sdcfan88 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
I'm trying really hard not to be disappointed......but that is my initial reaction:(

Is this the Mack ride that was rumored?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:34 PM »
I've been mentally prepping myself for the spinner since the rumors began. Concept 2 definitely fits the best with the SDC theme. I wouldn't hate concept 1 as much if it was re-themed to something like time traveling to the future to what 1880's SDC citizens picture the future to be or traveling to the recent past (pre 1880s) of the Ozarks. But traveling to ancient Rome? Doesn't seem to fit at SDC.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2016, 10:17:01 PM »
Pretty sure that these will be like Cobra's Curse more than Spinning Dragons. 

Regarding the "Time Travel" coaster.  By the concept write up, it sounds like the person is a con artist that is trying to sell you the time machine and not an actual going back in time.

So IMHO, the Mine and the Time Machine are fine with me.  I do not want the Rodeo.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »
I will be very surprised if the 2018 project is a spinner. Not that it means anything. I hope this is for some other concept because I've already got my hopes up for 2018.

But a spinner coaster of this scale could be fun. I'm curious what the focus group reactions are, because a lot of gp are wary of spinners.

As for the themes, #1 is too generic on purpose so its probably a red herring. #2 is too standard for SDC, but its a safe theme to fall back on if everyone hates #1, which is the one they really want to use. The final product wont be what they mention here. The roman thing just signals that they want to break out of the SDC theme.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2016, 10:24:40 PM »
Well folks, this is definitely going to a teacup spinner.  I am not sure if anyone on the board will get the survey but there is one going around right now that has three possible themes for the coaster and EVERY SINGLE CONCEPT has a teacup spinner coaster cart.  Now from what I am hearing, it will be a train of 4 cars that seat 4 people each (2 back to back).  There will be some massive drops on this ride as all 3 concepts show a large hill.  I'll see if I can get access to the concepts and post them here later tonight.

#2 is fo' sho  a Mack. The other two seem more Gerstlauer like. The new Mack spinner at Busch Gardens  is a single car set up but all face the same way. #2  drop looks like the drop of that indoor encolosed spinner in China.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #234 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
This survey is a couple of months old.  A friend of mine was telling me about it.

Even so, it doesn't seem like a survey going around now would be for the next project.  I could be wrong, of course.

The location of the current activity fits with the Silver Mine, though, so all others are pretty moot in my opinion.  The bull ride would have to go with Wilson's Farm.

I'm looking for some really awesome theming with the entrances to FM, TNT, and the new silver mine ride, which if you think about it does not have a name, even though the other two do - unless you can read it better than I.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 09, 2016, 10:52:18 PM »
Pretty sure that these will be like Cobra's Curse more than Spinning Dragons. 

Regarding the "Time Travel" coaster.  By the concept write up, it sounds like the person is a con artist that is trying to sell you the time machine and not an actual going back in time.

So IMHO, the Mine and the Time Machine are fine with me.  I do not want the Rodeo.

But, that really doesn't fit with the theme of recent park additions at all. OR and FL are themed around honoring the first responders in our country, being the police and firefighters. Why would they build an attraction that blatantly brings attention to a con artist? I don't know, just seems really odd. Re-theme it to something like Doc Harris creating this and I'm more on board.

I will be very surprised if the 2018 project is a spinner. Not that it means anything. I hope this is for some other concept because I've already got my hopes up for 2018.

But a spinner coaster of this scale could be fun. I'm curious what the focus group reactions are, because a lot of gp are wary of spinners.

As for the themes, #1 is too generic on purpose so its probably a red herring. #2 is too standard for SDC, but its a safe theme to fall back on if everyone hates #1, which is the one they really want to use. The final product wont be what they mention here. The roman thing just signals that they want to break out of the SDC theme.

If you are correct in your thinking then I hope the GP tells them that the 1880's theme is working just fine, thank you.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
I just got the survey last night. Going to go with # 2 although I am less than thrilled about a spinning anything. Hopefully there will be a comment section.

Update: Just took the survey. It asked me several specific questions about the cowboy theme. After that it was well if you don' like this one which of the other 2 do you like. No specific questions at all about theme 1 and 2. Looks like they are trying to lead you to a conclusion to me. I did not bite and stuck to theme # 2.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:35:44 AM by Runner1960 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
Cowboy spinner????   Just barf....   Maybe ok if they find a place for it back by OR but I'd be so disappointed if this is the 2018 project. Sounds like the questionairre is testing the cowboy themes acceptance.  I personally think it's not needed but I get why they are looking to expand with it.

If it is 2018 and the construction posts are correct....id think it would have to be #2 to match the area.

#1 could be a real fun theme....wimsical themes do work at SDC.  I'm not quick to toss it out.

I still like to see a jailbreak like story from FM

Remember when we talking about hypers and wing coasters.....aghhh:(
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
I find it interesting that each photo says "plunge" on it in some way by the drop.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2016, 10:56:42 AM »
Yeah concept #2 would be best suited for a very large B&M dive coaster. But it is what it is I guess.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:58:59 AM by sdcfan88 »