Author Topic: 2016 trip reviews  (Read 5129 times)

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
2016 trip reviews
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »
Went Monday. Started by going up to the bag check guy to ask if my zip off pant/shorts would be ok to wear. He wasnt sure. Said I need to ask a customer service person. So I went back to my car, put the sun visor in, spray on my sunscreen, put my toes shoes on, swim shirt over my arm, ear plugs in, nose plug in my pocket, gogles above my eyes, sun hat on, phone, billfold, keys, and locked my car. Went in about 3:15. Went straight to the lockers first. Rented a locker. $6 plus $10 deposit that you get back if you bring the key back. She told me any slide that doesnt need a tube (bodyslides) you cant wear a shirt on because it could get caught, but you can wear a shirt on any slide that you need a tube for (tube slides). I put my key on my belt loop and asked her if that was ok knotted. She said it shouldnt fall off. I asked her about my shorts but she didnt know and said I would have to ask a life guard. I put my shirt, hat, billfold, keys, and phone in the locker and locked it. I went straight to the racing slides exit to get a life guards attention. Asked him if they were ok and he said they should be. I asked about the small metal zippers in the back and where the pants zip off. He said they looked fine to him. Went straight to the drop slide. When I got to the top, I was nervous but I wanted to try it out. I saw nobody in line, put my gogles and nose plug on, shoes in my hands, sat in the slide and asked, Go? She looked down a few seconds and said go. I went, water got in my mouth because I had it open at first, and almost forgot to open my eyes because I had my gogles on. Once I stopped, I was like WOAH! I think I went like 40 MPH there. I wanna do that again! So I did and watched it. It was fun again. Grabbed a mat for the racing slides, went up there, cleaned the fog off my gogles, layed down next to 2 little boys, put my feet on the end of the slide and pushed hard when she said Go. I went about 40 MPH on this slide too. I raced so fast it was over before I knew it, and I left them in the dust. Almost felt like I left the slide and had major air time. I never remembered going so fast on that slide, so I did it again.

Got a blue tube and went down the blue slide. Talked to a guy who said he thinks they could repaint the slides and make them look better. I said I dont see any chipping. They look fine to me. The slide was long. Seemed like it would never end, but thats a good thing. I say the longer, the better. Then saw the light at the end of the tunnel, thought waterfall, and held my breath. Went down the white slide, saw light after 5 seconds, then went in another slide. Went to Ohana Falls and rode with a couple. Found out it is a 2 persons minimum ride. It is the only slide you get to keep your shoes on on. As we went down, it reminded me alot of Waterboggan, then I started missing it. Even had the drop at the end like Waterboggan. At least I get to come and ride this every time so I wont miss it too much.

Got a red tube and went down right slide of Pipeline Plunge, then left. They are both fun, twisty and turny. No line for any ride so far.

Went to Kapau Plummet, saw they have cubby holes, which is a first for any slide here. It said no loose articles permitted, not even shoes, so I put mine in there and rushed to the stairs. OW, OW, OW, hot cement. I wish they could put carpet everywhere or something besides a ground that gets hot in the sun. Maybe even sprinklers that get the ground wet and your legs as you walk by. I only saw 2 sprinklers near my locker, but no others. Only slide with a line. 10 girls in front of me. Great view!  ;) Stepped on the weight platform. It said 137 but she said it adds about 3-7 pounds. I was even more nervous about this than the drop slide. I saw the trap door is a sturdy piece of glass, with room around the sides of the slide for water to get through. I turned around, crossed my arms, and she closed the door. There is enough space in the top and bottom for you to breathe. I heard a speaker say 3,2,1. I said PULL THE LEVER, KRONK! WRONG LEVER!!! And I went down, it was amazing. Felt like I went 40 mph again. Felt like a water fountain when I got out. Loved it so much I did it again and asked the lady if anyone has ever said what I said. She said, no you are the 1st one and I know what its from. I hope more people say it too.

Went to Splashaway Cay. They traded the buckets for spray guns, like Splash Harbor had. White slide never has worked for me, but the blue one worked after the drop them slowed down near the end. Not as fun for me there since Im not a kid anymore. Went to lazy river, got a green tube that just goes around in there. It was boring. Didnt get wet because the Tiki waterfalls, watertower, and bamboo waterfalls didnt work. When they dont work its boring because theres nothing to avoid that gets you wet. I asked 3 life guards, 1 said they didnt work, 1 said they werent on, and the other had no clue. Does WW not have as good of Maintenance as SDC or do they not care? If I ride something, I want EVERYTHING working. No shortcuts! They put splash pad water guysers in front of Splashaway Cay and Wave pool. I ran thru them trying to step on each 1.

I love this place and always love the music. I was singing Muse -Madness and Natasha Beddingfield - Pocket full of sunshine on the way up Kalani Towers. Im coming every time I come until they close. It was worth $50 already. High priced food and it was high priced for lockers but I had to put my stuff somewhere. I ate before and after I went out there. Went back in after I left because it was 5:30, heard them say they were closing in 30 minutes, and I still had my key on me, so I returned it, got my deposit back, and left. Heard them say every 30 minutes to keep loose articles in a locker (I guess someone tried to do something somewhere they werent suppose to).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:39:16 PM by Laroy »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 trip reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »
Went on Lazy River first. So glad the waterfalls work. It is now the best Lazy River in the best Water Park, that plays the best music! The pools have been closed since 2:30 for lightning within 10 miles. The cloud should move after an hour.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:05:12 PM by Laroy »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
On Tuesday I got here about 10:36. Brought my swim bag in and changed in the bathroom. The changing room was the area I thought was the waiting area, near the entrance with very few walls around you. Got a locker near the waterfall slides and went to the Lazy River by 11:00. I heard the waterfalls were fixed but I had to see it for myself because I have never seen them on. It was really crowded. People had a hard time finding a free tube and some people who already had a tube were blocking the flow of traffic. The water towers, tiki waterfall, and bamboo sprayers were all on. On the website it says there are Geysers but I saw and heard none, that should be removed from the website. It is now the best Lazy River, in the best Water Park, that plays the best music. I just didnt like it being so crowded. Nobody tried to swim away from any waterfalls. They seemed not to even notice them, except for a teenager who was acting like he was taking a shower under a water tower. Lol!   :D I chose to go 1 round and maybe go again before I leave if there is less people.

Found a tube in the Wave Pool and tried to swim in, but the waves kept pushing me out. So I waited 3 minutes until they went off and swam to the deep end in 3 minutes. The waves start and stop every 10 minutes and they show ads alot. They clock and timer are only shown every 30-45 seconds. I dont wanna see ads. I wanna see the clock/timer constantly, so I guess I need to set my watch for their time. Read all the Hawaii signs along the wall as I waited. Counted down from 10 once my watch said it was time and heard the horn. Did the same for when they were about to go off. It is hard to get out with only 1 entrance/exit. A guard told a man to let go of the ladder when he grabbed it. They should let people go up the ladders to exit. At least then people could get out faster and easier.

At this point I thought I should pull out my new beach towel and try to find a lounge chair under a free cabana looking at somewhere fun. There were cabanas in front of the Wave Pool but it isn't much fun to me, on the left side of the Wave Pool I can see even less, right and left sides of Splashaway Cay but it would be boring there, and in front of the Waterfall Slides which had the best view of all. All these chairs were taken though. Told the girls at the rental counter that I can barely hear the music in certain areas. Can you please turn it up? They said they dont have any control over that but the Managers who walk around in light green shirts might. So I tried looking for them but they are hard to find since they dont stay in 1 place.

Went on Pipeline Plunge right and left. They were both great.

Ohana Falls lifeguards were still splashing them but not as much. They are suppose to grab a raft, put people in it, and push them down the slide. THAT'S ALL! Do your job! Stop making people mad with the splashing! It is called Ohana Falls and it is about the slide. It is NOT called the splash place. Thats another thing on my list to tell the managers.

Went on both Waterfall slides. Always great. Bit of a longer line then I have seen before but I got on in 15 minutes. Heard the announcement 3 times in 3 minutes again. This is an aggressive attraction and blah blah blah.

While I was in the longest line I have seen for the Racing Slides, I saw a 10 year old boy in a light neon green shirt holding a mat, cut past all of us and the Lifeguard let him go. He tried coming up a 2nd time. I yelled STOP HIM! and someone gave him a good talk, half-way up the tower. I thought he might still try to go again, so I stood in my place in line with my arms and legs extended from each side of the stairs and I wasn't going to let him pass for anything. He stayed at the place in line where he was stopped and wasn't told to take The Walk Of Shame, but he should have. 3rd thing to tell a manager, who I saw as I was in line but I didnt want to loose my spot. She was picking up mats that were not put back. I am still undefeated on the Racing Slides. Drop slides are always short lines.

Found 2 lady managers standing in front of Pipeline Plunge talking. I told them everything I had to say. They said they dont control the music or volume, they agreed Lifeguards need to stop splashing on Ohana Falls, and they were shocked to hear about the boy who cutted in line. 1 of them said, "I need to have a talk with that Lifeguard" and walked away.

Decided to take a break at this point. Found a chair under a free cabana in front of the waterfall slides. Layed down on my beach towel. Had a great view and a speaker right behind me to hear the good music. Heard a couple go by that said "Seriously that's our cabana? Number 29?" I the man sounded happy he had a great view.

At 2:30, only a few minutes after resting, I heard "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE GET OUT OF THE POOLS. LIGHTNING HAS BEEN SPOTTED WITHIN 10 MILES. THE POOLS AND SLIDES ARE NOW CLOSED UNTIL THE LIGHTNING IS NOT SPOTTED WITHIN 10 MILES FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES. WHITE WATER IS NOT CLOSED". So we could still walk around, eat at the restaurants, lay on the chairs, watch the slides with nobody on them, and listen to the music. We just couldn't ride any slide or get in any pool. As Andy Grammer says, "It's fine by me". I was planning on resting for an hour anyway. I hoped everything would open within 1 hour before I leave. At 3:30 the slides were still closed. I planned on leaving at 4:00, so I will just leave now instead, eat at Wendys, and go to SDC. I will be back to WW next week for Night Water. I plan on coming around 4:00 the 1st day and leaving when they close at 10:00 then come the 2nd day before they open and leave at 2:00. I cant get enough of WW. I love it and will never miss it when I come. Eventually I will rent a cabana for a day because I think a cheap 1 for $125 for a whole day would be worth it. Love how they do things here. I wont be going to SDC next time because I am getting really tired of SDC and the way they do stuff.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:56:18 PM by Laroy »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:38:36 PM »
I think the lazy river sometimes has geysers going in the zero-depth entry area and I think it would be a safety hazard to have people climbing up the ladders to exit because it was cause the lifeguard near them to have a blind spot where they can't see people swimming. It's not a big deal to only have one exit; I've never seen a wave pool that has multiple exits. I've never seen anyone get mad for getting splashed on Ohana Falls. Every family slide that I have ever done at any park has either asked if you want to be splashed or just done it. Their on a water slide-they're going to get wet eventually. It doesn't matter if it starts at the top of the slide.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:39:09 PM »
^^Yeah, the splashing is just the entertainment of the guests. I would imagine most guests enjoy the interaction with the lifeguards.

Glad you enjoy WW so much, Laroy.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »
It's been years since I was in WW but I sure thought we could climb up the sides of the wave pool.  If I remember it was free game.  A few years after opening they put up a rope near the wave machine workings.  When I was young you could hold your breath swim down to the chained area and get sucked up and then blown out with each wave.  It was fun, I believe I/we had better childhoods for some of the dangers.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:26:28 PM »
I think the lazy river sometimes has geysers going in the zero-depth entry area and I think it would be a safety hazard to have people climbing up the ladders to exit because it was cause the lifeguard near them to have a blind spot where they can't see people swimming. It's not a big deal to only have one exit; I've never seen a wave pool that has multiple exits. I've never seen anyone get mad for getting splashed on Ohana Falls. Every family slide that I have ever done at any park has either asked if you want to be splashed or just done it. Their on a water slide-they're going to get wet eventually. It doesn't matter if it starts at the top of the slide.

Well they are suppose to get wet going down the slide. It is about the slide.

I have seen the new geysers on the entrance to the Wave Pool, but I never saw geysers in the entrance to the Lazy River.

Safari Joes has 1 exit ladder on both sides in their Wave pool.

May have to cancel my trip next week. Got a broken window and a broken A/C fan on my car.

I also saw the people next to me brought in a giant cooler. I said How did you get that in the park? They said the park changed the rules about bringing coolers in 3 weeks ago. I didnt know this change until that point. I just went on the website and its true.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:22:28 AM by Laroy »