Author Topic: Anyone on here played RCT (Rollercoaster Tycoon) or still do?  (Read 6559 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Anyone on here played RCT (Rollercoaster Tycoon) or still do? I dusted off my old copy of RCT2 after finding some of my old game data with my saved games and coaster designs. I actually still got a few of SDC's big coasters and an unfinished park terrain layout that I recreated (prior to Outlaw Run). I then played with the "sandbox mode" AKA roller coaster designer a bit and immortalized OzCat in light of its demolition last year. I still got the skills after all these years not playing. lol of course the coasters are not 100 percent accurate due to game limitations but the specs are pretty spot on with some aspects. The tricky part was getting the elevations right as nearly all of them are built off of a hillside.

Just for fun, I also saw how OzCat would look if it was plopped next to a hill side similar to SDC's terrain. Turned out not too shabby with some edits. lol

I will post the other coasters that are recreated from SDC later. Its mostly the track layouts and station orientations though as the theming and secondary structures associated with them have not been built in the game. I MIGHT see about uploading the files if anyone stills plays the game (considering it is incredibly old now) and wants them to use in their parks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:13:34 PM by sdcfan88 »

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone on here played RCT (Rollercoaster Tycoon) or still do?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:31:51 AM »
I recently got RCT2 working on my Mac and Windows 10 PC because it was one of my favorite games. I have thought about trying to do one of the SDC coasters, but never got around to it.
-Spencer

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:01:37 AM »
I did once but didnt like it as much as Thrillville. Its been a long time since I played any coaster game.

Hollwood

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:46:55 AM »
I play all 4 on a weekly basis. World is still really buggy but it's interesting. Not sure if the early play was worth the extra money but I am still a loyal patron.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »
I lost a lot of hours on RCT2....still have some files on an old laptop.  Spent many of nights in college working on my park instead of working on a paper.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:01:59 AM »
Used to be an avid RCT3 player. Haven't played in a very long time as real life takes over  :(
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »
Oh man! I LOVED the old RCT! I wasn't & still am not a gamer, but I lost hours and hours playing that! Time would just slip away building those theme parks. I wish I had a computer that had a disc drive, cause I still have all the disc. Would love to see more screen shots of the parks you or anyone else has created. My dad and I used to create our own parks, and I loved seeing how different our ideas were.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
All of the RCT games are on sale as a package deal on gog.com for about $12.50 -> https://www.gog.com/promo/20160614_summer_bundle_rollercoaster_tycoon

The new RCT World game is apparently kind of a dud, but there's an early access game out called parkitect that is pretty promising. There's also Planet Coaster from the developer of RCT3, which looks amazing but costs a ton of money to join early access.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 03:05:14 AM »
Here they are. Despite some differences (due to game limitations) from their real life counterparts, the game handles their general designs quite well. I was shocked when I consulted the RCDB and the coasters recreated in the game are nearly spot on with the specs.

http://rcdb.com/4579.htm

I have yet to figure out which designs I could use to remake Fire In The Hole or Outlaw Run, particularly the latter as RMC and their coaster designs didn't exist when this game was originally made. The former I would have to load into a scenario to build the enclosure and whatnot.

ThuNderaTion
I would have to load the coaster into an actual scenario to recreate the tunnel and build the connecting structures which enclose parts of the ride along and around the track.

Wildfire
Pretty Spot on here, but had to add a couple more trim brakes around the track or it would receive an ultra-extreme rating (bad for guests in the game) for the g-forces.

Powder Keg
The least accurate recreation from SDC. The game has no transfer track feature and it does not allow multiple trains or lift hills on a launched coaster so adaptations had to be made.

Ozark Wildcat
May she R.I.P. but remain immortalized here. http://rcdb.com/1888.htm

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:11:37 PM by sdcfan88 »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »
Oh and here is Ozark Wildcat if you or someone you know have a working version of RCT2 and its expansion packs who might be interested in playing with the files in-game.

Just credit me if they are used or redistributed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:12:07 PM by sdcfan88 »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »
I haven't played RCT or RCT2 in years. I finally just sat down to dabble around in RCT3 a few weeks ago and rather enjoyed it.

But what I'm really looking forward to is Planet Coaster. Have y'all seen the videos of what you can do with the terrain tools? Someone could not only just recreate SDC quite accurately, terrain and all, but with PC's tools, you could literally recreate Marvel Cave, too!!!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »
Planet Coaster looks like a lot of fun! I hadn't heard of it before. I don't see a release date on their site though?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 09:45:18 PM »
I believe PC comes out sometime later this year, but I'm not sure when exactly. It's currently only in Alpha 2.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 07:08:49 PM »
Discovered the download links were broken. Probably had to do when the forum got migrated. I re-uploaded the files to the above posts if anyone is still interested.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:51:10 PM by sdcfan88 »