Author Topic: Saloon Show  (Read 3293 times)

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Saloon Show
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
Nothing reminds me more of my gramps then going to watch a show at the ol Silver Dollar Saloon.  Since gramps passsed a way a couple of years ago, it's very emotional for me to go to SDC since him and I and my cousin would go camping every summer and every day we would be at SDC so it has a lot of special meaning for me.  Still yesterday, watching the gang take out mean murphy, I got choked up thinking of my gramps.  Anyway, since last year was carrie nation and this year mean murphy, the same shows I saw 20 years ago it go me thinking, how often do they change the show or will they keep one theme and use it for year after year? Also, if anyone has any old pictures of the show, or video even, I'd very much like to see them.  Thanks.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Saloon Show
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »
there are quite a few you tube videos of the Saloon show.  They change the show up quite a bit but do listen if you email/write letters to them requesting a show- which is what i did last year requesting the return of a Choctaw Charlie/Mean Murphy show.  Thanks SDC!
I'm Your Huckleberry

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
It seems they have the same show all the time, I would like to see a different show from time to time but of course, I have no idea on what I would suggest.  There are many smart people out there that can do that.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »
this is the first mean murphy/choctaw charlie show since 2013.  The last 2 years have been Carrie Nation.  it's not that they don't change the shows that much but the ones that keep coming back do have the same story lines.  i'm still holding out for the mean murphy vs carrie nation show that Swoosh thought of in another post!
I'm Your Huckleberry

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »
I am completely opposite of Duelist. I was really stoked when I heard they were bringing back the Carrie Nation show, but when I saw it I felt let down. I think the cast was just not into it and rushed a lot of the punchlines. But then again it may have just been me too. I look forward to seeing Mean Murphy again this year if I make it down, but I think it is time for a entirely new script. At least you know the PTB listen since Duelist got what he asked for. It is really good that we all like different things and can discuss them though. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
I was actually excited myself when they first said the Carrie Nation show was coming back.  It was the first show I saw at the Saloon back in '74 and I believe it was the first saloon show that ran- i think the saloon opened in '73 but we didn't make it to the City that year.  However I was disappointed after seeing the show again a couple of years ago.  It didn't seem as entertaining as it did in my youth.  I really like the characters of Choctaw Charlie and Mean Murphy so that's why I'm always requesting that show.  But I agree they do need a new script for that show (for the train robbery too for that matter).  It's funny how little new stuff the City comes up with every year but most of us  love it enough that we keep coming back for the same old stuff-LOL!
I'm Your Huckleberry

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
Defiantly a new script for the train. I do not know what it is about repetition that people enjoy. They have been doing the same thing on the train since the late 1960's. Most people just roll their eyes at the lame attempt at jokes. I just tune them out and enjoy the ride myself. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
Well they have two scripts out on the train.
- The Yankees (or Indians)
- The tunnel has been blown up

Depending on who is doing the show, the jokes change up too. 
The younger guys tend to ad lib a little more than the older vets
SWOOSH

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 06:56:45 PM »
The one thing that keeps the train interesting for me is the fact that, even though it's the same script, it's hardly the same each time.  Due to factors of if people on the train play along with or other factors, there's a lot more to it.  Either way, I still really enjoy it but yes, it would be nice to try something different but who knows what else they could do since it's not that long of a show as well.  Is there a team that oversee's the validity of all the shows and that make decisions on which ones to do?

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 10:03:49 PM »
Not interested in a new show for the train.  It is the very consistency that appeals to me.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 08:27:25 PM »
The train skit is fine, but the last couple of times they have only 1 "bolin" brother...  Hard to tell jokes and pick on each other with 1 person... really need to be consistent with 2 brothers.. other than that enjoy the ride.... its great!