Author Topic: Grandfather's Mansion Re-hab?  (Read 46846 times)

sdcforever

Re: Grandfather's Mansion Re-hab?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 01:23:30 PM »
^I think you're right, it's just John and all his rowdy friends in there.  There's so much theming like that around the park that I get confused sometimes.

I think it's always been grandpa in the shower, though.  The only change is it's now upside down, because you're right...it used to be right-side up!  :)

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
Part of me thinks it would be cool to be able to walk through the upside down room but another part of me thinks it's just cool to soak it all in and keep imagining what that would be like.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »
It would be cool to walk through an upside down room like that, but for now, look up the hallway you're walking through is also upside down - with rugs on the "ceiling".

Or are the rooms right side up and we're the ones who are upside down?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »
OH I forgot about that. Those little touches are so neat.

sdcforever

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »
It would be cool to walk through an upside down room like that, but for now, look up the hallway you're walking through is also upside down - with rugs on the "ceiling".

Or are the rooms right side up and we're the ones who are upside down?

I like to think that the rooms are right side up and we're upside down.  Makes life (and Grandfather's Mansion) more interesting that way.  ;)

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
Talk about use of 21st Century technology to promote a 19th century theme!  Just think of the expense the Herschends expend even on such a quaint attraction.  What a creative use of anti-gravity!

If anyone has proof of this, please share it.  I'm intrigued.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »
One refurbishment that I wish they'd made was adding sound back to the glass curio cabinet that has the large piece of gold (not the hologram in the safe)... I remember when you used to stick your hand in to touch the gold, there'd be a sound of crashing glass, as if you'd broken the glass to get your hand in there.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »
^I think some of those things just break from time to time, because I know I've gone several times before and been either disapointed that it wasn't working or surprised that it had been fixed again.

The place just needs a good fix-up. It doesn't have to be extensive to the point that they have to put in the wheelchair access, but they could just take out some of the old tricks and re-build them so they work better. Any ideas when they'll work on the place? I heard they were going to do some stuff to it last off-season, but obviously that didn't really happen unless the new pool felt was all they were planning.

mjenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:45 AM »
I saw new felt on the pool table and the glass was shattering when I was there on opening weekend.  I always liked the hand water pump they had in there but can't remember what the gimmick was?  Did the water run backwards?

sdcforever

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »
^I believe you're thinking of the water faucet.  The gimmick was that the faucet was suspended by a wire with no pipe leading to it but it appeared that water was flowing out of the tap anyway.  (In actuality, there was a clear pipe leading up to the faucet head; the water flowed up that clear pipe and then out over the edge and down the outside of the clear pipe).

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
I love Grandfather's Mansion! Along with the water faucet, I also love the safe gag too, when it's turned on, and working at least.

I actually like the "run down" feel of Grandfather's Mansion. It adds an unique charm, and atmosphere to the place. However, I do wish Silver Dollar City was able to keep all of the tricks, and gimmicks running properly as often as possible.

Sometimes, I wish they would invest more effort into maintaining the classics, than just spending so much time on trivial stuff.

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
Not about the rehab but I LOVED Grandfather's Mansion as a kid - we'd go through two and three times in a row but as I get older (31, ha) I've found that the leaning room gives me terrible vertigo.  :-[

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
I saw new felt on the pool table and the glass was shattering when I was there on opening weekend.

Really? When I was there that Friday of opening weekend, the glass didn't shatter for me...

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 09:46:47 PM »
Somebody refresh my memory:  When you used to be able to climb the ladder, what was it that you saw at the top?

mjenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:54 AM »
We were out there the 19th and the 20 of March.  Looked at the dates on some of the photos to make sure.  I think it was opening weekend but they took down March from the website for some reason so I can no longer be sure.  I remember the strobe was also out at FITH.

It's not the spigot that I remember but I'm remembering back to the 80's so I could be a little off.  Would have been in the far corner of the slanted room on the opposite side of the ladder and the exit to the mirrors.

I don't remember what was at the top of the ladder but it wasn't all that cool.  It may have been where grandpa was originally showering?  I do miss all the peephole stuff they used to have around the city though.

Funny story about the 20th.
Here is a picture one of the operators took of us.

Here is another from under the water when it was dropped as he handed it back.

I don't think he knew that waterproof camera's existed and was pretty excited that it was still on and taking pictures.  The poor guy was really sorry about dropping the camera.  Hopefully he will keep taking pictures of the guests especially since it turned out really great.
Sorry about getting off topic but those were the pictures I checked when I was double checking my dates.  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:41:01 AM by mjenkins »