Author Topic: New survey about Rodeo attraction or Mining attraction 5/27/16  (Read 27983 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: New survey about Rodeo attraction or Mining attraction 5/27/16
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
Does it seem to anyone else they are trying to cowboy the place up more all the time ? Instead of sticking to the original theme.

Exactly what I think everyday. Makes me sick! This is not a cowboy park. Go somewhere else if you want that.

You're right.  This is a medieval park!
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
^And a renissance theme does fit your idea of the park?  You still don't have a grasp of the theme, which is the 1880s not the 1580s.  I'm not saying turn the whole park into Dodge City but again the western theme does fit in some areas.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
^And a renissance theme does fit your idea of the park?  You still don't have a grasp of the theme, which is the 1880s not the 1580s.  I'm not saying turn the whole park into Dodge City but again the western theme does fit in some areas.

Sure.  Just ask Laroy!
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2016, 02:53:36 PM »
That was actually aimed at Laroy.  I didn't put enough ^s in- LOL
I'm Your Huckleberry

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2016, 03:36:47 PM »
I think this survey is for 2020. I do not agree with the Buffalo Bill theme though. This is no more Ozark than the Hatfields and McCoys are. Stick with the local lore and legends to theme the rides.

Does it seem to anyone else they are trying to cowboy the place up more all the time ? Instead of sticking to the original theme.

They are just expanding the theme - not changing it.  Ever thought that they might be looking at ways to redo the Grand Expo and that a Wild Bill's Western Show coming to town would make more sense than a World's Fair?

I could live with that. A sub theme of the wild west show setting up in town. I just do not want to see the entire place being turned into cowboy city.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
Looks like thats exactly what is happening....unfortunately.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »
Looks like thats exactly what is happening....unfortunately.

I'm sorry I put up with your nonsensical posts most of the time but I call complete bull crap on this.  They added ONE ride that has a heading west theme and now the entire park is turning into a Wild West park.  ENOUGH.  IF they add a section that is more Western themed it will work.  The 1880s and the Wild West are not so different that they can't coexist. 

In fact they can coexist much easier than Medieval and even World's Fair. 
SWOOSH

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 06:16:56 PM »
I don't see why they can't get more out of the baldknobbers vigilante and hillbilly things. It's not found anywhere else. Buffalo bill belongs in the Great Plains but I guess his show was a traveling one. I'm not against it but I just don't see the point.  Better than mid evil times and rock music though.
Mine would be better but after seeing current treatment of old sdc flavor and theme I'm not surprised the ptb will go the lazy route.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2016, 06:22:23 PM »
^Because baldknobbers/hill billy stuff isn't PC, and it doesnt test well with focus groups. People still romanticize the old west, so it's a theme that a broader spectrum of people connect with (especially those from out of the MO/AR area where the park wants to target people for multi-day stays).

It makes sense to test the waters with more "cowboy" oriented stuff. Not necessarily my favorite option, but it certainly makes sense. Buffalo Bill would add a really interesting and historical bit of intrigue to the park's overall theme.  As has been pointed out, that would work even better than having a random "world's fair" in the back corner.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »
I don't see why they can't get more out of the baldknobbers vigilante and hillbilly things. It's not found anywhere else. Buffalo bill belongs in the Great Plains but I guess his show was a traveling one. I'm not against it but I just don't see the point.  Better than mid evil times and rock music though.
Mine would be better but after seeing current treatment of old sdc flavor and theme I'm not surprised the ptb will go the lazy route.

That is what I wrote about on the survey.  Take advantage of local history; leave Buffalo Bill out west where he belongs. 

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
^Because baldknobbers/hill billy stuff isn't PC, and it doesnt test well with focus groups. People still romanticize the old west, so it's a theme that a broader spectrum of people connect with (especially those from out of the MO/AR area where the park wants to target people for multi-day stays).

It makes sense to test the waters with more "cowboy" oriented stuff. Not necessarily my favorite option, but it certainly makes sense. Buffalo Bill would add a really interesting and historical bit of intrigue to the park's overall theme.  As has been pointed out, that would work even better than having a random "world's fair" in the back corner.

I understand what your saying and have to agree with it, but Buffalo Bill has his own history that's not pc when you look into his real history.  Jesse James would be closer to home, but he's not pc either.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »

I see what you're saying, but nothing is politically correct in our wuss society, certainly not the old west when we massacred those peace love dope Indians who simply wanted to help us learn to survive winter and love Mother Earth  ::)
I'm not from the area and the baldknobbers hillbilly stuff is what got me hooked. It's why fith is my fav ride. Of course I'm only one person. The ozarks are every bit as interesting as the west and were once the west.
And yes I agree it is certainly better than a lot of other concepts.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
Buffalo Bill was a Pony Express rider, so at least he is still in the state.

...unless you're talking about the guy on Silence of the Lambs.

Apparently Christianity is pretty politically incorrect, too, but they successfully draw people by the thousands with their "Christian" programming, but I get your point.  Everything has to be so sterile these days.

I'd love a retheme of GE to a wild west show.  That's a hot idea that adds much more character.  I'd love to be in on the creative development, but I have my doubts about the reality of it changing.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »
I vote for anything NOT a spinning coaster, which both concepts sound like...
I am with you brother.  No spinning needed here.  When I have been to other parks with spinners I have noted that the lines dictate that they are not in high demand.
Rarely much of a line for a spinner when matched to another same park standard coaster.  Spinning is not family friendly, its child friendly.  If they do consider a MM knock off I hope it does not contain the outside section with sharp turns and flips.  The sitting position in MM your head is high above the track instead of lowering your center of gravity.Your head being essentially attached by your neck by "a hinge, or ball joint" endures a lot of not so forgiving movements.  Others have spoken about this issue with MM. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 08:36:49 AM »
I vote for anything NOT a spinning coaster, which both concepts sound like...
I am with you brother.  No spinning needed here.  When I have been to other parks with spinners I have noted that the lines dictate that they are not in high demand.
Rarely much of a line for a spinner when matched to another same park standard coaster.  Spinning is not family friendly, its child friendly.  If they do consider a MM knock off I hope it does not contain the outside section with sharp turns and flips.  The sitting position in MM your head is high above the track instead of lowering your center of gravity.Your head being essentially attached by your neck by "a hinge, or ball joint" endures a lot of not so forgiving movements.  Others have spoken about this issue with MM.

Actually-since most spinners are lower PPH than most coasters, the lines are longer.  At least they are at WOF, SFSTL, MOA, SFFT, KBF, etc

The new lap bar only Eurofighter (Infinity) trains have helped with the head banging.  But we won't get a MM ride.  The project was scrapped.  I still can't believe the whole story behind that. 
SWOOSH