Author Topic: Castle of Muskogee Renaissance Fair  (Read 2596 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Castle of Muskogee Renaissance Fair
« on: May 16, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »
I've heard about the Castle of Muskogee for years, but it took finally passing through Muskogee on a weekend for me to actually check it out. I'm blown away - the place is huge! It's really not so much a renaissance fair at this point, it's essentially an amusement park without rides that operates for a month. It's really cool how built up the place is, and how niche and quaint it all is. It definitely seems like something the dogpatch crew would do if they had the time and money. All the buildings are obviously hand-built and open air, yet are full of details and personal touches. Lots of hand painted signs and humor in every nook and cranny.

But what really sets the place apart is the "citizens". Just like SDC used to do (and still does to some extent), each staff member has a role and brings their personality to it. You can tell how much they love it by how much they all put into it. Everywhere you look there are interactions, elaborate costumes, shows and activities, and what-not. I was thoroughly entertained for hours, even without anything to ride.

It's all a little campy, but it's the right kind of campy, if you know what I mean. Definitely something I'm going to hit up annually from now on.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Castle of Muskogee Renaissance Fair
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »
Its the best theme park around! The renaissance festival is the only time you get to look around the entire castle grounds. Its alot like a Comic-Con because everyone dresses up as some kind of character, not just characters from the 1550s. You see the Grim Reaper, Harry Potter, Anime girls, guys from The Hobbit, Mermaids, knights, pirates, jesters, etc. The employees and the guests both dress up. If you just wear a regular t-shirt and pants, you will stick out more than a sore thumb. They dont need rides to be great. Just seeing all the amazing shows and meeting Harry Potter is well worth the money! Parking is free. They sell refillable mugs for about $3. Im going back for my 1st time this year on Memorial Day since I work on the weekends. I cant wait to go thru the Catacombs and go to the Boares Head Feaste on Thanksgiving. They also have the fireworks sale in summer, halloween festival in October, and Holiday festival after Thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:04:21 AM by Laroy »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:21:38 PM »
This looks awesome! Directions say a 3 hour trip, we'll talk some more, soon~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:40 PM »
Got my tickets today for Boare's Heade Feast in November.