Author Topic: The new Pirates of the Caribbean at Shanghai Disneyland  (Read 5158 times)

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: The new Pirates of the Caribbean at Shanghai Disneyland
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:37:20 AM »
Isn't it AMAZING?! I still can't get over the effect they used on the Jack Sparrow animatronic. Man, I hope I one day get the chance to visit the non-American Disney parks!

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:58:01 AM »
I have still never been to either American park...definitely need to get my girls there.

Having never been on the original Pirates...my closest comparison is the flooded mine at SDC. It was interesting to me that even with this modern version with all the special effects...I saw things that reminded me of the flooded mine and the time period in which it was built.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »

I am impressed with the ride however the large sets in DL and WDW are missing.  They seem to be replaced by the screens in this ride.
The work and effects are there but lacking is the character of stateside Disney, the spirit and humor we have in our rides.  I would like to see this park in person but it does look darker than any of the other parks, less optimistic than its stateside parks.  The translation to their culture has made the product suffer.  GREAT effect with Captain  Jack though, very impressive.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
Isn't it AMAZING?! I still can't get over the effect they used on the Jack Sparrow animatronic. Man, I hope I one day get the chance to visit the non-American Disney parks!

As we plan on Europe in 2018, we have tossed about the idea of Asia for 2020. My idea was to hit all three Disney parks.

Stop 1 Tokyo

Disney  is expanding and most shoud be done by then. Every sez Disney Sea ilay be the best Theme Park there is. Spend a.couple of days on Cultural stuff , hit the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka and hit up Universal and it's likely open Nintendoland. Fly from Osaka

Stop3 Hong Kong
Hit up the Disneyland there for a day and spend a couple of more taking in the town

Stop 4 Beijing,  spend a few days here, do a more in depth visit to the Great Wall

Stop 5 Shanghai,
Hit the new Disney park here.

This could be on the front end but a stop in Hawaii

I would kinda like to squeeze in Singapore and a long layover in Seoul.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 06:28:56 PM »

I am impressed with the ride however the large sets in DL and WDW are missing.  They seem to be replaced by the screens in this ride.
The work and effects are there but lacking is the character of stateside Disney, the spirit and humor we have in our rides.  I would like to see this park in person but it does look darker than any of the other parks, less optimistic than its stateside parks.  The translation to their culture has made the product suffer.  GREAT effect with Captain  Jack though, very impressive.

I'll stick with the original in California.  Florida even lacks that majesty of the large sets.  I hate that they decided to change the ride to match the movies, rather than the other way around.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 07:33:15 PM »
Yeah, if we're comparing Anaheim's PotC to Orlando's, Anaheim's is the best. It's, like, almost twice as long, and it has that amazing bayou room with the restaurant and stuff.

If they ever wanted to upgrade a stateside PotC to be similar to the Shanghai one, I'd vote for Orlando's to get the upgrade and keep Anaheim's original the way it is. WDW was all about innovation and the future and stuff, so I'd be down with seeing more of the tech-heavy stuff like the Shanghai rides show up at WDW, and then keep Disneyland Anaheim as close to its original format as possible.

There's so much space not being used in Future World at Epcot... I'd be SO down for them getting the new Tron coaster there!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 12:10:30 PM »
Yeah, if we're comparing Anaheim's PotC to Orlando's, Anaheim's is the best. It's, like, almost twice as long, and it has that amazing bayou room with the restaurant and stuff.

If they ever wanted to upgrade a stateside PotC to be similar to the Shanghai one, I'd vote for Orlando's to get the upgrade and keep Anaheim's original the way it is. WDW was all about innovation and the future and stuff, so I'd be down with seeing more of the tech-heavy stuff like the Shanghai rides show up at WDW, and then keep Disneyland Anaheim as close to its original format as possible.

There's so much space not being used in Future World at Epcot... I'd be SO down for them getting the new Tron coaster there!

Maybe it's just me, but I hate seeing Epcot IP'ed up. Soarin and Test Track is proof that you don't need IPs to have top quality and popular attractions. I hate Frozen going in there, it belongs at the MK.

I don't like Pixar at the MK. It should have been assigned to Studios or better yet a park of it's own. A Car's Land, Toy Story Land, a Finding Nemo section and single attractions and rides based on UP, Monsters, ect, ect, ect.

I think they should nuke the whole Marvel deal with Uni by building an entire Marvel based park in Texas around San Antonio and killing any competitive advantage Uni has with it in Orlando.  A sister park could be home to the more traditional stuff like Tom Sawyer and the riverboats,  Swiss Family Robinson and the other stuff that seems to be expendable at DL and MK these days.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 12:10:05 AM »
Other than Buzzlightyear's Spaceranger Spin, what other Pixar rides are at MK?  If you are counting the additions in IASW then just stop. 
I'm fine with them adding IP to Epcot as long as they make sense.  I've always felt that World Showcase could use more to do. 

And like it or not Pixar = Disney now
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »
Here's a really awesome analysis that someone did of the ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3XpkVMdclk

I honestly think that actually being on the ride, the screens probably mesh better with the practical stuff. That camcorder has really great low-light pickup on it.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
Thanks Joy!
That just makes me want to ride it more!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 08:29:58 PM »
I saw this last week and I thought it looked amazing. Reminds me of the Harry Potter ride at IOA. Completely immersive. I think it will make its way to Orlando soon enough.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."