Author Topic: Founder's Weekend  (Read 11306 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Founder's Weekend
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »
The SDC Founder's Weekend is this weekend. This will be a big former SDC employee reunion weekend. I plan on being there Saturday. I hope to be there early Saturday prior to rope drop to take part in a special opening ceremony featuring former employees. Would love to meet you! If you are on park, just come on up to me and say hello. I am a mid-50's, big ol' fat fellow, short  grey/white hair, with a beard. More than likely I will be wearing jeans and a bright red shirt.  My wife will attend, too. She is NOT a reunion type person and does not "get" the whole "crazy about SDC thing. She says when the reunion activities are going on, she will likely split and wander through shops or go see a show. If you want to meet, best shot for it will be on Main Street for the opening ceremony, after that, I don't know whwere I will be on park, depends on what the wife wants to do. Go visit Facebook, at the "You know your from Silver Dollar City if..." page, I have posted some old park photos you will enjoy! God bless! :)
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Founder's Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 03:29:44 PM »
WOW!!   saw dozens of pictures on FB.  what a day they had at the city!!  Lots of people, employees, things to do.. And then today (sunday) morning service, with mike patick doing the Emcee work and New South amking an appearance.  may have to be there next year..

I was surprised there were only 17,000 people in attendance, with what I saw on FB..

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »
I did attend SDC Founders' Day on Saturday. Big crowds, great opening ceremony with five generations of Herschends in attendance. I had a chance to visit with several good folks who were citizens back in the days I worked there. I have some good photos, and will post in the next day or two. Got to see Rhonda Vincent's show, she did a great job.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
We got there about ten/ten fifteen. Seriously did not even stop. Just kept going. It was BUSY! School buses were taking up the entire part across from stop 2. Stop 6 was filled. Handicap parking lot full. Parking in stop 5 with a LONG tram line wait. Said no thank you and went downtown to Dicks 5 and 10 and the landing. I just dont dig that kind of crowd.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
Went today and it was a walk on for everyride. Parking lots were full but park seemed pretty empty. Powderkeg was down and I was told it might be up "sometime next week" .

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:36:22 PM »
I just don't dig that kind of crowd.
I am with you. SDC is a intimate kind of place, when its full to the gills it loses its charm.  Honestly the park has come a long way but they have a lot further to come in learning to absorb and distribute the crowds.  I will not ever go to SDC on a Saturday because of this.  I am lucky I live close so I don't have to plan it out. I can always go last minute and come back the same night if I want. When asked I always advise you go Sunday and go early.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 11:40:13 PM »
Which is why ... I believe ... they are being so aggressive with expansions here. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:15:28 AM »
I just don't dig that kind of crowd.
I am with you. SDC is a intimate kind of place, when its full to the gills it loses its charm.  Honestly the park has come a long way but they have a lot further to come in learning to absorb and distribute the crowds.  I will not ever go to SDC on a Saturday because of this.  I am lucky I live close so I don't have to plan it out. I can always go last minute and come back the same night if I want. When asked I always advise you go Sunday and go early.

Likewise, I never go on saturday, But I am lucky enough to be able to schedule sunday visits..  Sunday early, decent weather= Easy to relax and enjoy the park.

Sunday Crowd for founders day?, 8800 people.  that would have been a good day,  They had a very nice service in Echo Hollow from what I saw.  Lots of pictures, but not near the crowd.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
We are going back on a Thursday in a couple weeks. I think the 26th ish. Fingers crossed all the lots will be not full! :) I am so glad they were that busy though. Very pleased indeed!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 10:12:43 AM »
Which is why ... I believe ... they are being so aggressive with expansions here. 

I side with you on this.

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:57:12 PM »
I went to SDC Saturday and watched the Founder's Day parade.  Here are a few pictures I took and will try to post a few more later.

Here are a couple of pictures of the start of the parade.   They were getting lined up in front of the Homestead.

Rhonda Vincent played with the pickers before the start of the parade and sang the national anthem.

The start of the parade!

pintrader

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »

June Ward and the sheriff

Jack & Sherry Herschend

Pete & Jodee Herschend

5 generations of the Herschend family

1 of 2 original stagecoaches that were used at the city
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:31:18 AM by Pintrader »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 07:25:51 PM »
^ Great pictures, Pintrader!  Thanks for sharing!
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 06:38:24 AM »
Your welcome Duelist!

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »
I can't help but wonder about the pride that must swell in Pete and Jack's hearts when they stroll the streets of the City. They have grown it from a hole in the ground to one of the nation's top-tier theme parks. On top of that, they have created a place that is so special to families...like a second home to many. What a great legacy! What would Hugo and Mary say if they could see it now!