Author Topic: WOF 2017 Project  (Read 5198 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
WOF 2017 Project
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
So it begins.... at WOF  :o
SWOOSH

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: WOF 2017 Project
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
I'm surprised cause everything I head was 2018! This may not even be a coaster though.
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »
Yup, and according to some fairly substantial rumors (plus deductive reasoning), SFStL is also about to add a coaster. They'll either get a smaller coaster in 2017, or be smart and work towards something larger in 2018...

It certainly highlights an important point: all three parks are competing with each other now more than ever, and it will only heat up. There's certainly room for all three though, but with SDC being outside a major metro they need to keep playing to their strengths and not get sucked into just adding rides rides rides.

Should of held off on holding coaster con in Missouri for another year.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »
I wonder if they knew that they put Ripcord on there twice.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »
I'm surprised cause everything I head was 2018! This may not even be a coaster though.

You don't start teasing in April for minor additions.

This is a Easter Egg.  The first to quote this egg will receive an extra point in the Where in the City game
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:16:01 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
Ripcord 2x and the Patriot was not important enough to be on the banner too....lol

That banner is a good reminder have how mediocre most of the new additions have been since Cedar Fair took over.   

WOF was my home park as a kid growing up.  I've only been back 2x since they put in Mamba.  Patriot and Prowler are both good rides and the kids section was/is always good.  But the park just doesn't never seemed as exciting as it did when I went as a kid.  I really miss both the Zinger and Orient Express.....two simple but amazing rides:(  I'm always wishful that a new addition will 'recreate' one of them.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
Ripcord 2x and the Patriot was not important enough to be on the banner too....lol

That banner is a good reminder have how mediocre most of the new additions have been since Cedar Fair took over.

WOF was my home park as a kid growing up.  I've only been back 2x since they put in Mamba.  Patriot and Prowler are both good rides and the kids section was/is always good.  But the park just doesn't never seemed as exciting as it did when I went as a kid.  I really miss both the Zinger and Orient Express.....two simple but amazing rides:(  I'm always wishful that a new addition will 'recreate' one of them.

:o
Worlds of Fun since Cedar Fair buyout of Hunt Midwest
1996 - RipCord & Detonator
1997 - Berenstein Bear Country & Summer Lights Laser Show
1998 - MAMBA
1999 - Grand Prix Raceway & Hurricane Falls
2000 - Boomerang
2001 - Camp Snoopy
2002 - Thunderhawk
2003 - Paradise Falls
2004 - Spinning Dragons
2005 - Worlds of Fun Village & Peanuts Playhouse
2006 - PATRIOT
2007 - Haunt Expansion
2008 - Haunt Expansion
2009 - PROWLER
2010 - Hot Summer Lights & Haunt Expansion
2011 - Planet Snoopy, Grand Carousel & Haunt Expansion
2012 - Haunt Expansion
2013 - Shark's Revenge, Predator's Plunge & Constrictor
2014 - SteelHawk
2015 - Splash Island & Haunt Expansion
2016 - Planet Snoopy Expansion
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »
^^^^Thanks

Is that to help my opinion or argue it?   :o

Cedar Fair has done the bare minimum to keep the park relevant in the KC market year over year....imo  That list would look better with better flat additions and/or more interesting coasters.  Thunderhawk was a great name but a terrible ride...Steelhawk is a great name but cookie cutter ride......Boomerang is a great name but doesn't count as an attraction (imo) and Spinning Dragons just isn't fun to me (but a good name too).  Doesn't leave a lot left to be impressed with....imo.  Would be nice to see them reinvest in some of there iconic rides to improve them too (Nile, voyager, etc)....and the one ride they are 'fixing' TW is kind of beyond repairable.

I've never been disappointed with new SDC attractions....WOF has regularly disappointed me in there decisions and new rides ever since the buy out.  Maybe it's just my rose-color kid memories but WOF may be the prime example of how a well built 'theme park' can be slowly transformed into a mediocre corporate amusement park. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:22:01 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »
^CF added several huge roller coasters plus a number of other large rides to the park over the last 20 years. They could have done more, but I'd hardly say they barely kept it relevant. CF deserves some flak for throwing away the park's theme and atmosphere in favor of lazily trying to make it like every other CF park, but that's just the way they operate. It doesn't seem to hurt them much due to their business model of being more of a metro "day care" style park aimed mostly at teens.

You can look at just about every park and point out how they could have done so much better, but most parks aren't following a regional vacation destination style business model, so the nitty gritty details aren't as important to them. Kids just want rides, and most of them aren't that picky.

I share the same general sentiment about it, but I've been learning to temper my expectations more and more.

[EDIT: and for some reason our server isn't letting me move topics to the appropriate board... I'll have to fix this tonight]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:43:59 PM by shavethewhales »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
Has anything else happened for this project? Or has it been changed?

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »

This is a Easter Egg.  The first to quote this egg will receive an extra point in the Where in the City game

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 10:45:47 PM »

This is probably the only way I am going to get any points in the Where in the City game.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »

Recorded.  This is indeed an Easter Egg - Congrats Tmboote
SWOOSH