Author Topic: How young is too young for SDC??  (Read 8356 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: How young is too young for SDC??
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
I don't think that a crying baby ruins everyone's day. Anyone with children will understand that they are going to cry. I think you could do the train with a young child and any outdoor shows. I would maybe stay away from the long indoor shows. I also think that you could go to restaurants with the child because no one expects it to be silent while they are eating.

No. You cant hear the train robbery with a baby crying. Seriously, it sounds like most of the people on here want to ruin everones day. If the baby cries, it needs something. So you have to take it to the bathroom. Its common sense, common courtesy, and just something you have to do when you have a baby. Dont let them cry it out. If people arent going to be smart, then everyone will leave quickly. Nobody wants to be around a crying baby. Its very annoying.

Laroy,
I suggest you give up on this discussion, you are waayy outnumbered here.
It is an "age" thing. 
Admit you have been out voted on this topic and move on.  LOL..

It's more about maturity than age, but I understand why Laroy is irritated by these things.  I would never sit through a show while trying to hush my crier; instead, I would carry the child to the back and stand.  If that didn't calm him, I would exit and meet my party after the show, rather than disrupt the performance for someone else.

As a preacher, I understand that the most joyous sound in the world is that of a baby crying...and being carried out of the room.

My own children were more inclined to sleep on the train than cry, so thankfully that wasn't a problem.  The bigger issue is when, on a plane, you are not allowed to get up and walk around with your baby who may have an issue.  That one caught us once, and while embarassing, it was one in which there was no escape.

Preachin_Bill wasn't asking about other people, though.  He was asking if the child was too young.  My response is to get the baby out.  Stimulate her senses.  Reveal God's incredible creation to her.  Just do so respectfully and with her own safety from the elements in mind...and take plenty of pictures.  In my opinion, autumn is the best part of the year for these little ones.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:29 AM »
@ HB,  your right, I used the wrong adjective..   

Maturity rather than age, would best fit.

AND I agree with your complete statement. it is all about sharing SDC with the family.,  the WHOLE family..

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 04:35:03 PM »
I could probably write a 20 bullet point list of tips for taking little ones to SDC:

I've brought at least 2 of my 3 kids to SDC while they where still infants (nursing).  For the the most part SDC is very accommodating for families with babies.  They have a couple for nursing stations (GG used to have one, and the one by GE) and the vast majority of guests and employees are understanding of an occasional outburst as long as the parent(s) are quickly attentive to the baby.  Biggest issue I've had/have is it seems the men's restrooms aren't as 'friendly' for the babies as the ladies.  But it's a theme park bathroom so my expectations aren't very high.

Of course....I'd recommend a good lightweight stroller and bag (you can take with you) only with needed items (food, diapers, change of clothes, sun screen).  Keep the baby covered in all weather as much as possible.  Limit your time in the park on hot days.   You have to be mentally prepared to leave at any moment (prep other kids for it too).  Do some extra planning during the day to make sure baby and mom (or dad) get the extra breaks for the extra care they need.....don't skip a regular feeding/nap schedule while at the park!!!!  If the baby usually naps at 2pm and you're in the stallion show then too....its not going to be a good situation...lol...plan some time to walk the nap or let the kids do GE rides during that time.....just be smart.

We've never had to put SDC fun on hold because of a baby.  I saw a few out at the park a few weeks ago and smiled because I realized I'm past the pushing the stroller age!!!!

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 06:52:23 PM »
Baby cries?  They're more likely to sleep!  It's the older kids who whine, complain, yell, and cry.  That's when it becomes irritating.

Yes!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 11:05:57 AM »
Our Daughter is 17 months old, she has been to SDC three times now. Once at 6 months (April 2015), 13 months (November 2015) and 17 Months (April 2016).

Fireman's Landing is our favorite "Family Restroom." It's out of the way, and always super clean.

This last trip, at 17 months, went the most smooth. Weather and feeding habits have a lot to do with how well it goes.

She rode the train at 13 months (Christmas) and she has ridden the FM all three visits. She saw Island Fire (Riverfront Playhouse) in April of 2015 and April of 2016. At 6 months and 17 months, she did well both times!

There's my take on bringing a baby, hope it helps.  :)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »
Well Im happy to report that there is no such thing as too young for SDC.  Great family place and facilities like nursing stations and family restrooms. Easy to pop into an air conditioned shop on a hot day.  When baby was fussy there were thankfully understanding people.  Most people loved the sight of our baby.  Life is slower and you have more down time with a baby but it was nice to be able to feed her and still be entertained by a show outside.
Baby loved it and especially liked the Christmas store and train and FM.
Thanks to all who encouraged us to go.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:20:20 PM by Coaster »
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
Well Im happy to report that there is no such thing as too young for SDC.  Great family place and facilities like nursing stations and family restrooms. Easy to pop into an air conditioned shop on a hot day.  When baby was fussy there were thankfully understanding people.  Most people loved the sight of our baby.  Life is slower and you have more down time with a baby but it was nice to be able to feed her and still be entertained by a show outside.
Baby loved it and especially liked the Christmas store and train and FM.
Thanks to all who encouraged us to go.

Happy to hear you made a go of it and had a great time!  Now you can look forward to your next trip. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:00:51 PM by Joy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »
The only time I feel that parents should use extreme discretion with bringing extremely young kids to the park is during the summer and the winter.  This is mainly because younglings have a much more difficult time regulating their body temperature and it can be down right dangerous if it is extremely warm or cold.  Obviously if you have kids, you will have to be adult enough to make the decision yourself, but from a medical standpoint - use some common sense.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 11:23:50 AM »
I go by the "will they remember it" as an adult rule. I'm into memory making, not misery making. A three year old at Disney in a stroller is misery making, I  see it in the moms' faces.