Author Topic: Frisco Train Ride  (Read 13453 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: Frisco Train Ride
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
I never knew they had staffing issues. I figured help was a dime a dozen. I would be thrilled to be a part of the train crew if I lived closer to the park. lol

Ozark Woodcarver

• McCoy
  • Demonstrating Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Artists Page
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 09:31:06 AM »
Wildfire store.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
I never knew they had staffing issues. I figured help was a dime a dozen. I would be thrilled to be a part of the train crew if I lived closer to the park. lol

The entire area has had staffing issues this year. Well into June just about everywhere you looked was still advertising that they were hiring. The McDonald's in the area were all offering a $250 sign on bonus if you stayed for 90 days. The company I work for down here has had a difficult time finding people as well.

I think its just a product of the environment. People are tired of getting laid off in the slow season or being underpaid, which is a big problem down here. Also the locals are just lazy. Many just do the bare minimum to keep their unemployment.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »
^It's gotten so hard in the last decade to survive on minimum wage without the added difficulty of seasonal schedules. I can't imagine even attempting it anymore. Working at SDC used to be something people mused about doing in retirement, but now it's sounding more and more like an unfriendly corporate environment that chews people up and spits them out with little to show for it. Just like everywhere else.

Sad to hear about what they have to deal with for the train robbery. Going to be more and more cuts to keep the bottom line in place at the expense of quality.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »

The entire area has had staffing issues this year. Well into June just about everywhere you looked was still advertising that they were hiring. The McDonald's in the area were all offering a $250 sign on bonus if you stayed for 90 days. The company I work for down here has had a difficult time finding people as well.

I think its just a product of the environment. People are tired of getting laid off in the slow season or being underpaid, which is a big problem down here. Also the locals are just lazy. Many just do the bare minimum to keep their unemployment.

Entitlements, living off the government pays better. 96 million are not participating in the workforce  yet unemployment is supposedly low.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
Ticks me off that I have to work for very little money, plus money to let others sit on their butt. I just took a second job so I can save up money. Plus I dont even have a girlfriend or any kids.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:20:15 PM by Laroy »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »

Sad to hear about what they have to deal with for the train robbery. Going to be more and more cuts to keep the bottom line in place at the expense of quality.
[/quote]

They did have 2 robbers both days this weekend but it was a truncated script- ie No "Ma" in the script.
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 09:06:26 PM »
They did have 2 robbers both days this weekend but it was a truncated script- ie No "Ma" in the script.

We noticed the lack of Ma, last week, as well.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2016, 11:33:07 PM »
It could also be because of the hoards of the younger crowds currently at the park who don't care enough to appreciate the skit for what it is. But I am just speculating.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 01:11:49 AM »

If there is no Ma, then they are on the short show.  If the train leaves every 30 minutes, then they are more than likely looking for Ma (unless there aren't any people on the train or another issue comes up).  If they are leaving every 20 minutes, then they will cut out the "Ma" portion of the robbery in order to shorten the show a little bit and get the train back quicker, so they can dispatch more often.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
When there was no Ma, though, the crowd was quite low.  A short show might be indicative of an anticipated crowd, rather than an actual crowd.  Would that be accurate?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »
When there was no Ma, though, the crowd was quite low.  A short show might be indicative of an anticipated crowd, rather than an actual crowd.  Would that be accurate?

Nope, it's based on either how many people are actually on the train, or the schedules they are running.  They won't go to the 20 minute schedule until they are leaving with a full train and have 50-75 people left behind that couldn't get on.  If they aren't leaving people behind, they will stay on the longer cycle of a train every 30 minutes and the long show.

If the crowd was quite low, then more than likely there was not a good candidate to be Ma on the train (there are certain things that need to be place for it).  If there's no candidate, they will skip ma.

If they are running on a 20 minute schedule there will be no ma.  This is usually because it's busy and they are trying to get in an extra train every hour (3 instead of 2).  However if things have happened during the day to put their time table off, they may run a 20 (no ma, short show) to "catch up" and get back on schedule.

This may have changed now, but on really hot days they might sometimes run 20's/ short shows just because it is so hot that people on the train are miserable and not enjoying the show, so they cut it short to "put them out of their misery."  There's no reason to do a long extended show with Ma if the passengers are not enjoying it and not into the show at all.

The last train of the day is ALWAYS a short, no ma show.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.