Author Topic: 2016 Trip Reviews  (Read 48138 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: 2016 Trip Reviews
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2016, 11:03:44 PM »
The Saloon show has been crowded and standing room only for Mean Murphy every time I've been to it.  And it wasn't just "old" people that enjoyed it.  You're a hard one to please Laroy

My family loved it.  Now let's get Mean Murphy and Carrie Nation to duel each other.   Who will win?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:45:43 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2016, 11:19:31 PM »
^
LOL!  I'd watch it!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2016, 11:46:56 PM »
Me too.  I think it has a lot of potential to be pretty funny.  AND wouldn't it be even funnier if it turns out Carrie is Murphy's mother.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:16:28 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2016, 07:51:09 AM »
^^^
Maybe that's a good idea. I was tired of Mean Murphy and really excited when the Carrie Nation show came back. After I saw it I was disappointed in it. Seems like the cast was just not into it. I was never a fan of Murphy. A entirely new show would be a great addition.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
To me the Mean Murphy show flows better than the other shows.  I talked to one of the "higher-ups" in the Entertainment Division and he said the Mean Murphy show has always been his favorite.  Of course it being a western-style show I'm going to learn toward it  ;D  There are other stories they could tie into Choctaw Charlie/Mean Murphy to make it fresher though.  The Carrie Nation vs Mean Murphy is a great idea!

I'm Your Huckleberry

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2016, 11:34:37 PM »
So my chance to return to SDC finally came this past Friday and despite travelling alone, I was determined to make the most of it. I woke up from an excited light sleep at the crack of dawn to an awful weather report that prolmised a potential for rain all day.  So the first order of business was procuring some rain gear at the old Walmart.  It was still early but I wanted to eat breakfast at the park so I took a little side jaunt through the light showers and early morning mist out over the dam and back.   I arrived at my preferred parking spot at about 8:30.  I purchased my entrance ticket from an automated kiosk located at the park exit. This worked flawlessly. I enjoyed an original cinnamon roll and cold milk breakfast at Delilah's. The rain was coming down steadily but rather lightly so hope was winning out at this point because the entrance was just as I remembered. In a word, beautiful.  By the time, I got to the plaza, there was a children's choir performing in the gazebo and the rain was letting up.   No one was guarding the ropes which were hanging tantalizingly low,  but I headed to the general store and picked up a sheriff's badge.   I chose to be sheriff Dan for the day, prompted by the angelic voices of the children. Soon they were finished and it was time for the opening ceremonies.   The emcee and square dancers motioned for us on the more eastern part of the square to come closer and so we did as the Grand Ol Flag was sang. The emcee actually put the mic up to me and so I got to sing a few bars for the crowd.  Well, things were heating up now.

After the drop I decided to very casually peruse the midtown and more upper areas at a very leisurely pace while everyone else was racing to the back.  This turned out to work just fine for me.  I spent the first 45 minutes or so just looking for the where in sdc sign from the other thread.  I found George I think, but not his sign. But I got sot some nice pictures and went through Grandfathers Mansion. Thankfully, it's still just as I remembered.   Everything was up and running, but somehow I missed the pipeless faucet.  I was basically estatic at this point and remained so for the remainder of the day.  The showers were intermittent and very light and only served to keep the temperatures and quite possibly the crowds down.  It was basically perfection with puddles.

I had a great conversation with a shopkeeper at the knife store and got some great advice and left with a needed, sweet Smith & Wesson blade with a lifetime warranty.  Later, I saw a great demonstration of the making of a railroad spike knife. Typical SDC stuff you know, but after 15 years of a lean diet of Six Flags St. Louis (which is great fun), I felt like I was eating steak or lobster, or maybe drinking some fine aged wine or something.   

The ride on the Plunge did not disappoint.  It was basically a walk on.  Then on to my first ride on Wildfire....ever.  Ive watched the YouTubes and read accounts countless time over the years and it lived up to every one of them.  I barely managed to get the restraint buckled on my own but I did and it was just awe inspiring. 

I next headed to PK which was the last ride I rode the last time I had came.  Back then it was Buzzsaw Falls, though.   This one seemed to have a longer line though, as did Fire In the Hole.  So I continued on towards Outlaw Run.  Along the way I was stopping and lingering to enjoy the sights and sounds and smells,  and I've now come to believe that the death of Mary has been greatly exaggerated.   I was just floored by how great everything was and still is.  Yeah, I can't walk behind the waterfall anymore, but did I really miss it?  No.  There was too much beauty and attention to detail that remained that the few negatives that I saw could really only be categorized as nitpicks.  I'll personally be giving HFE a wide berth when it comes to SDC.

Outlaw Run had a very short wait and absolutely blew my mind.   The videos and words that I read about the ride prior, which were all quite flattering, failed to express to me just how wild this ride is.   Nowhere did I see anything informing me that I would be out of my seat more than in it.  This is the most fantastic roller coaster I've ever contemplated.

I skipped the swing and headed instead for the Lost River.   It delivered as it always has,  although I remained pretty dry, which was alright with me.   Over at  the landing, I decided to try Firefall and just loved it.   It was more than super enough for my chicken wings.

A nice jaunt through the exposition (which was under construction during my last visit, if I remember correctly) capped by a dizzying electro spin ride was next on the agenda.   The flooded mine was brilliant. Nearly everything was in tip top shape and working order and the operators were taking care of us like royalty.  I took a second ride without getting off and frankly could have just rode  all day. But lunch at the Wagon Works awaited.   A very tasty kebab and fries with beans.  Everything a-ok.  This is theme park food?   Really?

I then took my turn on PK which was a definite improvement over the Falls that I remember. Then another ride on Outlaw Run, a great,  stomach-churning turn on the swing, and a thoroughly drenching turn on the timeless masterpiece,  FitH (Woohoo!), and I was ready for the 3:30 Sons show at the Dockside. But first I picked up a sweet handcrafted necklace from The Bent Spoon.  The sons did not disappoint.  Lee Greenwood never gets old. I can't wait to see them again. Two more turns on the American Plunge and one corn dog and funnel cake later and I was wore out and headed for the exit.  Time: 520pm.

So if you are wondering if traveling alone to the city will be fun, my answer to you would be a very emphatic YES.  Go.  And if something about the city today gets you down,  like a changed vista, or tired mannequin,  or missing tree, then I say step away for about a score and then come back and see what you think.   This wasn't my reason for being away for so long, but over the years, I had gotten the impression that maybe things weren't so great anymore and that the magic or some special ingredient was missing.  This was oh so wrong and couldn't be further from the truth.   I am overjoyed to report that SDC is bigger and better than ever and I can't wait to return.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:07:55 PM by Injun Joe »

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 11:06:36 AM »
Our last visit was yesterday (6/5/16).  We always have a lot of fun in the park when we visit, and can't get enough of everything!  They had the pool in the Fire In The Hole filled to capacity and so everybody who got on, got drenched!  It was great fun!   :D    I did notice several elements not working on Sunday that were a disappointment.  Since I was a young boy, I have been fascinated with the mine car that slowly rolls back and forth across the entrance canopy of the Mine Restaurant.  It was stuck half in and half out of the hole in the roof.

The horse and buggy sound effect one hears as they walk over the foot bridge was not working.  In the Flooded Mine, the water that flows off the roof, into the large metal bucket with a hole in the side was not working, the face was not projected on the photo in the wardens office (while in line), and several of the items inside the mine did not react to being "hit."

I wonder what their plans are for the large metal tower that used to be the Wilderness Water Boggin, and Huck Finn's Hideaway (that dark room full of stars was amazing when I was a kid)? 

The cinnamon bread from Sullivan's Mill was outstanding as usual!

I bought a whole fist full of pins from the Hospitality House on my way out (I'm just getting started pin collecting) and I'm enjoying that a lot!

I sent an e-mail to them reporting all these and asking about those two old attractions.  If I get a response, I'll report back here.

Still and all, we had a great time, as we always do at Silver Dollar City!  Next visit date:  6/18/2016.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:08:42 AM by Clint F »
I Love SDC!

pintrader

« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
I bought a whole fist full of pins from the Hospitality House on my way out (I'm just getting started pin collecting) and I'm enjoying that a lot!

It's great to hear that someone on here also collects SDC trading pins.   I also have enjoyed it very much!   Not very often you can get envolved collecting something that is so near and dear to the heart.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
So my chance to return to SDC finally came this past Friday and despite travelling alone, I was determined to make the most of it. I woke up from an excited light sleep at the crack of dawn to an awful weather report that promised a potential for rain all day.  So the first order of business was procuring some rain gear at the old Walmart.  It was still early but I wanted to eat breakfast at the park so I took a little side jaunt through the light showers and early morning mist out over the dam and back.   I arrived at my preferred parking spot at about 8:30.  I purchased my entrance ticket from an automated kiosk located at the park exit. This worked flawlessly. I enjoyed an original cinnamon roll and cold milk breakfast at Delilah's. They rain was coming down steadily but rather lightly so hope was winning out at this point because the entrance was just as I remembered. In a word, beautiful.  By the time, I got to the plaza, there was a children's choir performing in the gazebo and the rain was laying up.   No one was guarding the ropes which were hanging tantalizingly low,  but I headed to the general store and picked up a sheriff's badge.   I chose to be sheriff Dan for the day, prompted by the angelic voices of the children. Soon they were finished and it was time for the opening ceremonies.   The emcee and square dancers motioned for us on the more eastern part of the square to come closer and so we did as the Grand Ol Flag was sang. The emcee actually put the mic up to me and so I got to sing a few bars for the crowd.  Well, things were heating up now.

After the drop I decided to very casually peruse the midtown and more upper areas at a very leisurely pace while everyone else was reaching to the back.  This turned out to work just fine for me.  I spent the first 45 minutes or so just looking for the where in sdc sign from the other thread.  I found George think but not his sign. But I got sot some nice pictures and went through Grandfathers Mansion. Thankfully, it's still just as I remembered.   Everything was up and running, but somehow I missed the pipeless faucet.  I was basically estatic at this point and remained so for the remainder of the day.  The showers were intermittent and very light and only served to keep the temperatures and quite possibly the crowds down.  It was basically perfection with puddles.

I had a great conversation with a shopkeeper at the knife store and got some great advice and left with a needed, sweet Smith & Wesson blade with a lifetime warranty.  Later, I saw a great demonstration of the making of a railroad spike knife. Typical SDC stuff you know, but after 15 years of a lean diet of Six Flags St. Louis (which is great fun), I felt like I was eating steak or lobster, or maybe drinking some fine aged wine or something.   

The ride on the Plunge did not disappoint.  It was basically a walk on.  Then on to my first ride on Wildfire....ever.  Ive watched the YouTubes and read accounts countless time over the years and it lived up to every one of them.  I barely managed to get the restraint buckled on my own but I did and it was just awe inspiring. 

I next headed to PK which was the last ride I rode the last time I had came.  Back then it was Buzzsaw Falls, though.   This one seemed to have a longer line though, as did Fire In the Hole.  So I continued on towards Outlaw Run.  Along the way I was stopping and lingering the sights and sounds and smells,  and I've now come to believe that the death of Mary has been greatly exaggerated.   I was just floored by how great everything was and still is.  Yeah, I can't walk behind the waterfall anymore, but did I really miss it?  No.  There was too much beauty and attention to detail that remained that the few negatives that I saw could really only be categorized as nitpicks.  I'll personally be giving HFE a wide berth when it comes to SDC.

Outlaw Run had a very short wait and absolutely blew my mind.   The videos and words that I saw, which were all quite flattering, failed to express to me just how wild this rise is.   Nowhere did I see anything informing me that I would be out of my seat more than in it.  This is the most fantastic roller coaster I've ever contemplated.

I skipped the swing and headed instead for the Lost River.   It delivered as it always has,  although I remained pretty dry, which was alright with me.   Over at the the landing, I decided to try Firefall and just loved it.   It was more than super enough for my chicken wings.

A nice jaunt through the exposition (which was under construction during my last visit, if I remember correctly) capped by a dizzying electro spin ride was next on the agenda.   The flooded mine was brilliant. Nearly everything was in tip top shape and working orderand the operators were taking care of us like royalty.  I took a second ride without getting off and frankly could have just rode  all day. But loch at the Wagon Worksa awaited.   A very tasty kebab and fries with beans.  Everything a-ok.  This is theme park food?   Really?

I then took my turn on PK which was a definite improvement over the Falls that I remember. Then another ride on Outlaw Run, a great,  stomach-churning turn on the swing, and a thoroughly drenching turn on the timeless masterpiece,  FitH (Woohoo!), and I was ready for the 330 Sons show at the Dockside. But first I picked up a sweet handcrafted necklace from The Bent aspoon.  The sons did not disappoint.  Lee Greenwood never gets old. I can't wait to see them again. Two more turns on the American Plunge and one Corn Dog and funnel cake layer and I was wore out and headed for the exit.  Time: 520pm.

So if you are wondering if traveling alone to the city will be fun, my answer to you would be a very emphatic YES.  Go.  And if something about the city today gets you down,  like a changed vista, or tired mannequin,  or missing tree, then I say step away for about a score and then come back and see what you think.   This wasn't my reason for being away for so long, but over the years, I had gotten the impression that maybe things weren't so great anymore and that the magic or some special ingredient was missing.  This was oh so wrong and couldn't be further from the truth.   I am overjoyed to report that SDC is bigger and better than ever and I can't wait to return.

Thanks for the post! I really enjoyed reading it from your perspective since you haven't been there in awhile. I agree with you that taking a break from something after a long absence does change your perspective and criticisms. All in all, I still feel SDC does a great job of holding onto their roots and past.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Clint F

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I visit Silver Dollar City every other weekend!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2016, 02:41:53 PM »

It's great to hear that someone on here also collects SDC trading pins.   I also have enjoyed it very much!   Not very often you can get envolved collecting something that is so near and dear to the heart.

Howdy, Pintrader!  Suddenly, I have a new collecting obsession.  Ha!  And what better?  The Silver Dollar City pins are really well done and now I'm always looking on Craigslist and Ebay for them.  Of course I'm just getting started, but, give me some time and we might be able to talk Pins more in-depth!
I Love SDC!

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »
Thanks for the post! I really enjoyed reading it from your perspective since you haven't been there in awhile. I agree with you that taking a break from something after a long absence does change your perspective and criticisms. All in all, I still feel SDC does a great job of holding onto their roots and past.

Absolutely!  My pleasure!   Been doing this from my phone so you know how excited I've been about my visit.  I think I got most of the worst typos cleaned up from last night. My battery died on me as I was finishing. 

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2016, 11:11:51 PM »
Great review injun joe, I was away from the park for some years and I'm with you it's still such a unique place :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »
Pin, great post and review.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »
Went today. Went to TGS and got my stuff stuck in a locker after it said take out everything. Maintenance came after I rode. He hacked in with his own passcode and unlocked it. He told me the new coaster is indeed a B&M, no question. But nobody knows what kind. Nobody can talk to the contractors but the Herschends and they have no logos on anything.

Rode OR, PK, FITH, WF, saw Peter Gossamer (show was mostly the same as 3 years ago but up close, with his wife dancing, and 2 movies on the screen), AP, riverblast (which had a line for once), and TNT. I saw the retaining wall. Kinda came right out at me. It is on the right side only. Just some big rocks holding up a flat patch of dirt. Im thinking the coaster will make a U turn there or a flat ride will go there. Thats all I can remember hearing about or seeing.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:44:09 PM by Laroy »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »
Last Minute SDC trip review....

Sunday was planned to be a nice lazy day for me and my crew of 6.....we had a nice 'sleep-in' morning with the rain/storms passing through.  Around 10 in the morning I'd had already gotten bored of being at home and started check the weather to see if was going to clear up.  Then I also realized we where pretty much 'booked' up the next few weekends and make the call that today would be a SDC day.  I told the crew the goal would be to hit up the Globetrotters and take the cave tour (both inside stuff cause of the rain).  It's about a hour and 45 min drive from my driveway to the parking lot and we made it in 2 hours with a drive through lunch on the way.  We made it to the park just in time to go straight to the 2pm Globetrotter show and find pretty good seats.  They were pretty entertaining....show was pretty much what I'd expected.....my kids where laughing the whole time.  We got to be apart of the lucky crowd to get wet and my girls got 'picked on' a couple times while they where in the crowd.  My oldest daughter (who plays competitive bball) was disappointed they didn't actually play a game.  After the show the kids talked me in a taking a few rides in around GE.  Crowds where pretty light....even after the show GE was walk-on on all the rides.  Next we wanted to get wet.....so we headed toward lost river.  On the way....rain started and the rides got shut down.  Paths started filling up after the rains came and I think about half the park headed to the gates.  We went to FiTH since I knew it would probably still be open I hadn't had a ride on it yet this year.  Sure enough both FiTh and Flooded mine are open during lightning closures!!!!  Got two spins around FiTH in with the kids.  We then walk backed to Lost river as we heard all the rides where about to come back up.  Waited about 10 mins for LR to open up and got to fill a raft up with the 6 of us:)  Then headed over to PK but the line was backed up down the hill with only one coaster running.....so went over to WF and had a 15min wait with one coaster running.  By that point our 2 youngest and my wife where ready to go and we headed to the gate.  We grabbed sonic drinks in Branson West and ended up stopping for a nice meal on the way home.  I told my older two kids that we are going to have to get away for a coaster SDC trip by ourselves at some point.....and I still didn't get to do the cave tour :-\
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:12:56 AM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"