Author Topic: Disney resets theme park ticket prices for slow, busy times.........  (Read 7397 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-resets-theme-park-ticket-prices-slow-busy-191308144--finance.html

This makes you appreciate that SDC hasen't started this.  Thinking that it would cost a family of 5 $650 PLUS taxes and parking (must nudge this up to $700.00 or so) for one day of a theme park.  I myself love the Disney Experience but this is falling out of bounds.  WDW has 40-50000 hotel rooms on property, will the 1% fill them?  The pricing is getting so high that a family cant do it.  This makes me appreciate SDC and their pricing.
I have been to WDW 10 times and stayed at the resort, ate on property, the entire deal and I will probably never go back to experience this again.  I cant justify this expense.  This is why SDC needs to become a reasonable option to a multi-day experience with lodging.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Disney resets theme park ticket prices for slow, busy times.........
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-resets-theme-park-ticket-prices-slow-busy-191308144--finance.html

This makes you appreciate that SDC hasen't started this.  Thinking that it would cost a family of 5 $650 PLUS taxes and parking (must nudge this up to $700.00 or so) for one day of a theme park.  I myself love the Disney Experience but this is falling out of bounds.  WDW has 40-50000 hotel rooms on property, will the 1% fill them?  The pricing is getting so high that a family cant do it.  This makes me appreciate SDC and their pricing.
I have been to WDW 10 times and stayed at the resort, ate on property, the entire deal and I will probably never go back to experience this again.  I cant justify this expense.  This is why SDC needs to become a reasonable option to a multi-day experience with lodging.

We'll go back when Star Wars opens up till then we are done with Disney Orlando till at least 2020. Just too much money. We are ready to cross oceans. I want my children to visit every continent outside of Antartica.

We do want to do a Disney Cruise but if we do it out of Canaveral, Universal and SeaWorld if any parks at all. Plan on hitting Uni Hollywood this summer on a mainly Grand Canyon trip., no Disneyland.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
I agree it is a ton of money and definitely a vacation that has to be planned FAR in advance for the average family. However, people keep going to Disney....their attendance increases each year which is why Disney can do this. Attendance at Disney isn't going to drop with the increased prices especially with the Avatar and Star Wars Lands coming soon (albeit slower than Universal could have built and opened them). I have read one reason they raise prices is to control how many people come to the park and keep it below capacity. It sucks but at the same time I understand it from a business perspective.

Disney is still the big kid on the block and they can basically do what they want.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »
Disney theme parks are so lame. Boo!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »
I understand why Disney is doing this. Its the equivalent of going to the matinee movie VS the peak time showing. They continue to grow the parks albeit at a slower pace than Universal. I probably will never see Disney again although it used to be a every year trip for us. But being bluntly honest ,Theme parks in general just do not do much for me anymore. Bought my ticket last week for 4 weeks in Europe this September. Might hike from France straight through to Slovenia. And not 1 fake man made theme park on the agenda. Not even Disney can reproduce the beauty of the Alps.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:12:33 PM »
I agree it is a ton of money and definitely a vacation that has to be planned FAR in advance for the average family. However, people keep going to Disney....their attendance increases each year which is why Disney can do this. Attendance at Disney isn't going to drop with the increased prices especially with the Avatar and Star Wars Lands coming soon (albeit slower than Universal could have built and opened them). I have read one reason they raise prices is to control how many people come to the park and keep it below capacity. It sucks but at the same time I understand it from a business perspective.

Disney is still the big kid on the block and they can basically do what they want.

For most, I guess so. Not me. I'll taking my teens to Europe and Disney Paris isn't on the radar. I want to see Disney Sea but that's not ran by the corporate dolts here but OTC and they do it the Walt Way it seems. Some families don't have the flexibility to go at off peak times so they are going to get bent over.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:14:46 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »
I hate to ruin y'all's lynch party, but you DO realize that this is only affecting the price of a ONE-DAY TICKET?  Who in their right minds only goes to Disney ONE DAY? 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:52 PM »
I hate to ruin y'all's lynch party, but you DO realize that this is only affecting the price of a ONE-DAY TICKET?  Who in their right minds only goes to Disney ONE DAY?

Actually a friend on mine did that last weekend. Her son will have a surgery over spring break, so they drove his butt from Jonesboro AR on Thursday,  did Disney on FRI, Universal on Sat, and drove back on Sunday.

I called her insane but he had a blast. Then she was Fayetteville this weekend to see the oldest cause it was Mom's Weekend. We fed them after Church today and she was off back east.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »

I understand that but it is also just a short step to raising the multi-day rates.  I think Disney is pricing themselves out of the game.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:55 AM »

I understand that but it is also just a short step to raising the multi-day rates.  I think Disney is pricing themselves out of the game.

I doubt they're pricing themselves out of the game.  Attendance is up at the USA parks.   If anything, they are charging a premium price for a premium product.  I'm personally not happy about it but I might not be the target audience anymore.   
SWOOSH

Hollwood

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »
This actually solves a lot of problems and I would bet a years salary that HFE will move to this in the next 1-3 years. Here are my initial thoughts:

Think of operating days like a basketball game, or concert- with demand base pricing Silver Dollar City could know how many people have pre purchased for any given day. Currently you can purchase a ticket today, and not use it until Christmas. This is why you see understaffing on unexpected busy days. Sure folks could still buy day of, but you would know your bulk attendance (80% of people buy online) before you open your gates.

"Nothing was open"- days like Spring break and other limited operating days would now be "discounted" to get those who gripe about those things less to gripe about.

Holidays are too busy- now they will be less busy because more people will visit on less busier days because it's less expensive evening out attendance.

I look forward to this day!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »
This actually solves a lot of problems and I would bet a years salary that HFE will move to this in the next 1-3 years. Here are my initial thoughts:

Think of operating days like a basketball game, or concert- with demand base pricing Silver Dollar City could know how many people have pre purchased for any given day. Currently you can purchase a ticket today, and not use it until Christmas. This is why you see understaffing on unexpected busy days. Sure folks could still buy day of, but you would know your bulk attendance (80% of people buy online) before you open your gates.

"Nothing was open"- days like Spring break and other limited operating days would now be "discounted" to get those who gripe about those things less to gripe about.

Holidays are too busy- now they will be less busy because more people will visit on less busier days because it's less expensive evening out attendance.

I look forward to this day!

Or people get pissed that on the days they can go it costs more and decide to go elsewhere or folks with season passes still show up in the same patterns.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »
The issues for Disney started when they created the "monthly payment plan" for their passes.  Before they started that program, the APs were more under control.  I think if they were to go back to a "one lump sum" for APs then a lot of the problems of overcrowding would solve themselves.

I think a lot of people who are up in arms forget that SeaWorld has had dynamic pricing for awhile now.  Middle of the week has been cheaper than weekends for awhile now.  Just because THIS IS DISNEY - this is "big news"

SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 10:56:06 PM »
The issues for Disney started when they created the "monthly payment plan" for their passes.  Before they started that program, the APs were more under control.  I think if they were to go back to a "one lump sum" for APs then a lot of the problems of overcrowding would solve themselves.

I think a lot of people who are up in arms forget that SeaWorld has had dynamic pricing for awhile now.  Middle of the week has been cheaper than weekends for awhile now.  Just because THIS IS DISNEY - this is "big news"

When it's time for SeaWorld in Orlando it'll be an all inclusive  Discovery Cove day and the rest of the parks are included , you can even add BGT for like 20 bucks. When people realize that day at Discovery Cove includes food and drink even adult drinks, it's a heck of a deal.

I'll feel much pain for my one day at Uni Hollywood this June.because there's no way we will not get the fat pass option due to time constriants. If it was completely up to me,.i'd go in debt for the VIP but I got told $&#@ no by the family accountant/mom/ruler.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »
In other news Disney is testing "preferred parking." So for an extra $15 you can park closer to the park. Thus at Magic Kingdom it would cost $35 to park. To put into perspective, this is over half the cost of a 1 day ticket to SDC which runs $61. And what amazes me the most is I know people will pay for this...but if they can afford it and choose to do so, good for them. Just not in my budgetary plans.  :o
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."