Author Topic: Refering to the map on the website if you look closely.......  (Read 7413 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Refering to the map on the website if you look closely.......
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:01:13 AM »
I was looking at the map this morning at the SDC website.  Interesting to note.

1. Strawberrys and Cream (in the path next to the saloon) and the island behind it containing plants is missing.  There is a clear pathway from the saloon to FITH (chip stand is still there)
2.  The Opera house is depicted to be painted very bright colors, I am hopping that they don't change the color palate Or if they do its not this selection, I know that artists take liberties when painting these maps and I hope the color chosen was part of the artistic liberty and not a planned change.
Anything you see that I have missed?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:21:47 AM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Refering to the map on the website if you look closely.......
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
I looked at the website map MH,  and I looked at the map from my OTC pathfinder.. they are the same, in the area..  I don't see any variances anywhere,  (yet).

I find it hard to beieve that the PTB would have the updated map for the new season already..   But I would not speculate to when they would change it....  IF they change it at all..

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:20 PM »
Small changes to look for-
The Strawberries and Cream building has been completely rebuilt and upgraded.
There is no change in the color scheme of the Opera House that I'm aware of.
The porch of the Playhouse behind the hotdog stand is being revamped.
Some of the old decrepit towers on top of the Flooded Mine have been removed before they fall down.
The tower entrance to the Lumbercamp restaurant has been rebuilt.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:31:01 AM »
No ride upgrades or work inside attractions?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 07:43:36 AM »

Some of the old decrepit towers on top of the Flooded Mine have been removed before they fall down.

So it begins....

It's fading away before our eyes.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:48:52 AM »
Well, I don't really see this as a bad thing. I mean, apparently the towers were about ready to fall, so taking them down before they do seems like the smart thing to do, since they could potentially hurt someone if they just stayed until they fell down on their own.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »
Small changes to look for-
The Strawberries and Cream building has been completely rebuilt and upgraded.
There is no change in the color scheme of the Opera House that I'm aware of.
The porch of the Playhouse behind the hotdog stand is being revamped.
The tower entrance to the Lumbercamp restaurant has been rebuilt.

I'm intrigued by several of these. The Riverfront Playhouse for one, several people thought its days were numbered, but with them putting $$ into a porch revamp, that seems highly doubtful.

I was worried about the possibility of the Opera House getting the same color-scheme as Geyser Gulch, glad that's not happened.

Curious to see the new Lumbercamp tower, I wonder if it's a better version, a lesser version, or an exact replica.

As for the Flooded Mine, I agree wit Shave. It seems once they start taking things out and not replacing or repairing them, its days are numbered.  :(
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:33:26 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
If they considered FM a vital asset and wanted to keep it in the park for a generation to come, they wouldn't be slowly dismantling it. Not long ago I thought it was sacrosanct, but once you start paying attention it's easy to see how degraded it's become on the park's priorities list. Obviously the towers were an issue that needed to be taken care of, but simply taking them away instead of fixing or rebuilding the facade shows that they are done with this ride and are waiting on the right opportunity to get rid of it. My fingers are still crossed for a rebuild that doesn't destroy all the charm and originality, but we know what the chances of that are.

As for the playhouse, they've needed to fix that porch for a long time. Maybe this is just to get them through a couple more years of use before they gut the building or whatever. Still hard to say how they view the long term viability of that building.

I'm glad the lumbercamp entrance got love instead of simply getting removed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:20:46 PM by shavethewhales »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »
You all are right. The writing is on the wall for the FM. Its days are numbered. Better ride it as much as possible this season because who knows how much longer it'll be there for us. I just hope this never happens to FITH.  :'(
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »
As sad as it makes me its understandable. FM and FITH are beloved rides. Iconic even. However, look at everything that has been removed thus far. Its just one more thing. It will always be just one more. I will miss the nice float through a cool tunnel on a hot day. Heck ya. This mommas feet get tired from all that walking!! It was a nice feature to be able to plop my kid on a safe ride where I could have a moments rest without being tugged onto yet something else. He is occupied and eventhough its noisy from the guns, its still a calming peace. Like coming back home. Its a lovely ride. I hope to see a retheme and rebuild if they decide to take it out.

On another thought will our children have the same conversation about outlaw run thirty years from now?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »
You all are right. The writing is on the wall for the FM. Its days are numbered. Better ride it as much as possible this season because who knows how much longer it'll be there for us. I just hope this never happens to FITH.  :'(

It (FM) has at minimum 2 seasons left (counting this year)
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »

That's good news. If and when it does get replaced, I really hope for a world-class indoor attraction. SDC is really lacking in indoor attractions in my opinion. You've got FITH, FM, shows, and shops. I think we need something else and I have been saying this for years.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
Flooded mine ceased to exist for me when it was switched to the shootout format. All the noise and whirlygigs took the charm and story away. I miss the charm of it before but will not miss the current format.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »

That's good news. If and when it does get replaced, I really hope for a world-class indoor attraction. SDC is really lacking in indoor attractions in my opinion. You've got FITH, FM, shows, and shops. I think we need something else and I have been saying this for years.

Couldn't agree more.  I know many here are wishing for another coaster, but they really need to concentrate on what you stated....a world-class indoor attraction.  Coasters are a dime a dozen.  You can ride one anywhere.  The charm that SDC once had is quickly fading away...and that charm came from the one of a kind rides that were unique to SDC.  From Jim Owen's Float Trip, to Rube's Diving Bell....Fire in the Hole to the Flooded Mine......THOSE were the staples that made me want to come back again and again as a kid.  It's getting hard to make "Memories Worth Repeating" if it becomes a state fair atmosphere in our beloved city.   :-\

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  I know many here are wishing for another coaster, but they really need to concentrate on what you stated....a world-class indoor attraction.  Coasters are a dime a dozen.  You can ride one anywhere.  The charm that SDC once had is quickly fading away...and that charm came from the one of a kind rides that were unique to SDC.  From Jim Owen's Float Trip, to Rube's Diving Bell....Fire in the Hole to the Flooded Mine......THOSE were the staples that made me want to come back again and again as a kid.  It's getting hard to make "Memories Worth Repeating" if it becomes a state fair atmosphere in our beloved city.   :-\

Stop taking everything to a hyperbolic level. 
Yes things have changed.  So have things at every park.  SDC was not created to be a museum.  Calling the current condition of the park a state fair environment is beyond ridiculous. 
SWOOSH